Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Defensive Coordinator

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Defensive Coordinator

So, this offseason we are going to be hiring a DC. Any idea who the good candidates are, and who we should hire? There is no question we should hire a guy that fits the system. No point in getting a big splash guy if we have to redo our defense to his liking. We got a great core of defensive players and a good system, so we need someone that will excel that.

Regarding this; do you guys think Jim Schwartz will get fired? If so, would he be a good fit for us there

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Re: Defensive Coordinator

Has there been recent news that Greg Williams has been banned for life, or that the RAMS have voided his contract? I thought the RAMS were going to bring him back when the league allowed him back in.

gap
    laram0 and RuffRams like this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    So, this offseason we are going to be hiring a DC. Any idea who the good candidates are, and who we should hire? There is no question we should hire a guy that fits the system. No point in getting a big splash guy if we have to redo our defense to his liking. We got a great core of defensive players and a good system, so we need someone that will excel that.

Regarding this; do you guys think Jim Schwartz will get fired? If so, would he be a good fit for us there
    I think we will keep Gregg Williams. Seeing as the comish was over turned with the player suspension. Looks as if he over retracted with his penalties. I bet Gregg Williams get reinstated. He is Fisher close friend.
    RuffRams likes this.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Interesting topic!

IF Williams is reinstated then I think he will get the job.

If not....

Maybe Fisher promotes from within?

Other names to think about: Mike Singletary, Rob Ryan

RuffRams likes this.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

I think I'll take Gregg Williams. His son Blake has done an excellent job with our team thus far, imagine what the experienced father could do? He was the REASON the Saints won the superbowl... Remember all the turnovers that Defense had?
    RuffRams likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Defensive Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I think I'll take Gregg Williams. His son Blake has done an excellent job with our team thus far, imagine what the experienced father could do? He was the REASON the Saints won the superbowl... Remember all the turnovers that Defense had?
    I would think that Williams gets retained. Our defense only gets stronger with bringing him into the fold.

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

Does this mean that you think THIS season is over?

I realize the chances of a play-off game is minimal right now, but until we are officially out of contention I like worry about the next game and not the next season.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsanddodgers View Post
    Does this mean that you think THIS season is over?

I realize the chances of a play-off game is minimal right now, but until we are officially out of contention I like worry about the next game and not the next season.
    No I don't think the season is over, just an interesting topic to bring up. This has nothing to do with me saying the season is over.

Anyway, I agree with you guys. I'm all for Gregg Williams, do you guys think he is back next year? Also, if we do that, does this put a target on our back (league and referee wise)

RealRam is offline Registered User

Same here, GW will likely be our new DC, a good one!

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    No I don't think the season is over, just an interesting topic to bring up. This has nothing to do with me saying the season is over.

Anyway, I agree with you guys. I'm all for Gregg Williams, do you guys think he is back next year? Also, if we do that, does this put a target on our back (league and referee wise)
    You mean make the target bigger, right? I don't know how much worse the lack of "benefit of a doubt" can get.

gap

Haste is offline Registered User

I think we go with the Gregg / Blake Williams combo next season.
    live4ramin likes this.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Can I vote Jack Youngblood? haha! The Greg Williams issue still is in doubt...truely has the NFL banned him for life? If so then its time to start looking for a DC. The best solution is looking for one that is on the almost being courted as a HC like L. Smith.

Nevertheless since the Rams have a vested interest in G. Williams, its up to the Rams/FO to put the question to the NFL, like NOW. After the season is over likely there will be a heads on the floor in various club housed and those clubs will be looking for new HCs/OCs/DCs etc...etc....rather get a DC the Rams really want then whats left over if G. Williams is a done issue

emuen is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    Nevertheless since the Rams have a vested interest in G. Williams, its up to the Rams/FO to put the question to the NFL, like NOW. After the season is over likely there will be a heads on the floor in various club housed and those clubs will be looking for new HCs/OCs/DCs etc...etc....rather get a DC the Rams really want then whats left over if G. Williams is a done issue
    I guess it could really hurt the Rams if NFL doesn't make it clear how long he will be suspended. Like you say we could end up waiting until all the good candidates are gone.
    Also which candidate would take the job, fearing that when Williams is at some point reinstated, he could be let go to make room for Williams.?

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

So, this offseason we are going to be hiring a DC.
    I don't think it's all that clear cut. If reinstated, then I'm sure Williams will resume the role he was hired for. If not, then stay in-house; I would assume either McGinnis or Cecil.

This defense is the first top 10 defense the Rams have had since 2001. Why change anything?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is offline Registered User

Who's to say Gregg Williams is not helping now. His son is calling the plays. I'm sure they talk during the week. It's very likely they talk football.

I would promote his son if the NFL does not reinstate Gregg W. Yesterday the reports came out that Sean Payton would return early to get his contract done.

Lets hope they make a decision in our case sooner rather then later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast