throwback week

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Defensive front line

I re-watched the last three games close and here is what I found at each position and why we are getting gouged in the running game

Right end--Victor is too raw, for the most part he is being man handled at the line and doesn't need any sort of a double team or a even a chip

Inside tackles--KENNEDY is the main problem. He lacks any sort of motivation. You can watch play after play dance on the line with the guard. There is NO push up field, it's like he is just trying to occupy a blocker. He appears totally lazy and unmotivated, the same issues that caused him to drop in the draft. HE is the death of this team. Glover is giving a 100% but seems slow, almost like he has lost a step. He gives a nice push and fills space but seems to be engaged too much.

Left end--Although how much Little can be a beast among men, this also can be a problem. Many times Little gets too much of a push and a runner will run right through the hole where Little was, where of course Kennedy is doing the two step with the guard. Little remains our only threat as a pass rusher without a blitz.

We have HUGE issues along the front line. And it doesn't look like it will get better any time soon without some major changes.
    Last edited by RamWraith; -11-16-2006 at 05:49 PM.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Re: Defensive front line

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    I re-watched the last three games close and here is what I found at each position and why we are getting gouged in the running game

Right end--Victor is too raw, for the most part he is being man handled at the line and doesn't need any sort of a double team or a even a chip

Inside tackles--KENNEDY is the main problem. He lacks any sort of motivation. You can watch play after play dance on the line with the guard. There is NO push up field, it's like he is just trying to occupy a blocker. He appears totally lazy and unmotivated, the same issues that caused him to drop in the draft. HE is the death of this team. Glover is giving a 100% but seems slow, almost like he has lost a step. He gives a nice push and fills space but seems to be engaged too much.

Left end--Although how much Little can be a beast among men, this also can be a problem. Many times Little gets too much of a push and a runner will run right through the hole where Little was, where of course Kennedy is doing the two step with the guard. Little remains our only threat as a pass rusher without a blitz.

We have HUGE issues along the front line. And it doesn't look like it will get better any time soon without some major changes.
    From everything I have seen I pretty much agree with your post. Especially the part about Little, he is so fast and gets up field so fast that the run goes right by him. I'm not knocking Little because he's an all pro and the best we have, but sometimes his speed works against us. If we were more consistent along the rest of the line Little's speed rush wouldn't work against us as much as it does now.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Kudos to Jared Cook for saying what needed to be said about being outplayed and outcoached vs the Cards.

agree RB!

Little at times needs to learn to get under control per say. This has been the knock on him day one. And he still hasn't learned to maintain himself and his lane. Love the guy, but he isnt perfect

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Other than Little, the defensive line gets pushed around every week. It's embarrassing and frustrating to watch. We definitely need some changes, starting with some bulk inside.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Glover is giving a 100% but seems slow, almost like he has lost a step. He gives a nice push and fills space but seems to be engaged too much.
    This is what I've noticed about Glover also. Well let me re-phrase that, I haven't noticed much of anything from Glover because he isn't doing anything to get noticed. He was brought in primarily to be an inside pass rusher and he isn't gettin' it done at all. If he was giving 100% he might have more sacks and QB pressures; or it is entirely possible that he is simply just over the hill. It is time for him to sit and see what Wroten can do.

Jimmy Kennedy reminds me of the rock group "The Dead Kennedys" You know,one-hit-wonders. How we let R. Pickett leave for this guy is a crime. Not to mention drafting a worthless Byrd in the hand in the 3rd round and passing on a DT like Gabe Watson.

WHAT SAY YE?

Country Guest

RE: Agree completly Victor has flashes but in no way should he be starting. He is not solid aginst the run at all.

DT: Glover has lost a step and is simply not big enough to stop the run. He should be roatating in on passing downs.

NT: I don't agree with Kennedy being the main problem. At times he looks lazy and tired and at others he stands a double team up. His biggest problem is inconcsistent play.

LE: Little is a beast.

The middle of the DL needs to improve or be improved. I think we all knmow what the Rams will be drafting in rd 1.

ImJohnWayne is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

one of Morris' big runs Sunday came off right tackle. Little went around the end for a pass rush and Glover pinched inside... basically he needed no blocking because our line just moved out of his way. Maybe our players just dont know what the guy next to him is doing.

The other thing that doesn't help our line is that the Linebackers play 7 to 10 yards deep all the time. Even if the line occupies its area, no one is there to fill the hole until they are 7 yards down field.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

I think that Little has proven to us time and time again that he is a great player. What happens is teams use his speed against him. All they have to do is get one good on him and he goes right bye the QB. I never want him to lose that speed. That speed is what makes him so dominant.

As far as I'm concerned you can't really be talking about Victor yet. This is his rookie year. He's played in a total of 9 games. We can't really complain about him yet. Mabye at the end of his first full year we can. Until then, just let the rookie get himself situated.

Tackles is where the problem is at. Kennedy has has an up and down season. He's great one game and then horrrible the next. When he plays up he looks like he should be playing at the pro-bowl. If he can find some constincancy then he could be a great DT. I think that he is better suited at being a pass rusher than being a run stopper. Even though he is bigger than someone like Vince Wilfork in the weight department, Wilfork is smaller in height. So he's wider. Which is exactly what we need in this defense. A nice big wide person who forces other teams to double team him.

When I heard that we had signed Glover I was quite excited. But now I could really care less. He has shown me exaclty why the Cowboys cut him. He isn't showing that speed that he used to have.

I think that if we move Kennedy over to DT where he could go after the qb he would be much more effective. Then we need to draft a massive run stopper. I think that those two moves could help this defense rise to it's potential.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    I think that if we move Kennedy over to DT where he could go after the qb he would be much more effective. Then we need to draft a massive run stopper. I think that those two moves could help this defense rise to it's potential.
    I'm pretty sure Kennedy was playing DT when we had Pickett here playing the nose, as I recall some write-ups making a big deal about Kennedy's move to the nose this season. In those earlier contests at the DT position he was vastly unimpressive, and even got benched. I don't think you improve by moving him back as a full time starter to a position that he didn't do well at. He's shown flashes at nose, but has also been inconsistent as well.

That being said, Kennedy is halfway through his fourth season as a pro and this is the best he's been. But he's still not great, certainly not to the level of where you'd expect a top 15 draft pick to be. I understand tackles take longer to develop, but I think we're at the end of the line here. We need a long term upgrade at nose, which I believe we have a better chance of filling in the draft simply because I don't like the long term prospects of any of the DT free agents.

At the other tackle spot, a mix of Glover and Wroten might be able to work, and I'd like to see some more from Wroten before trying to upgrade that spot significantly, especially when you consider the money that's going to have to go to the other D-line positions. Essentially, I think this is the position of least need after LDE.

Speaking of end, I think we need another starting caliber player. I like what Adeyanju brings to the table but he's been forced into the starting line-up too early and still needs some development. Besides, once Little is gone we're going to need another starter anyways. So signing one now to start opposite Little while grooming Adeyanju to take over for someone in the future is fine by me. I would also like to see us spend a draft pick on a DE to add additional depth. Maybe a situational pass rusher, because you can never have too many of those.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense
    As far as I'm concerned you can't really be talking about Victor yet. This is his rookie year. He's played in a total of 9 games. We can't really complain about him yet. Mabye at the end of his first full year we can. Until then, just let the rookie get himself situated.
    I'm not going to complain about him personally, but I think it's perfectly justifiable to complain that he was even put in this situation in the first place. The front office dropped the ball on Hargrove any way you look at it. He didn't work out for us, and if he does wind up developing into the kind of player we thought he'd be, he's no longer on the roster anyway. We need another good defensive end on the roster.

I think we may have to look at drafting another nose tackle, too. I just get the sense that with Kennedy in there, that position is never really going to be a strength for us. He is playing better than in the past, but the line is still struggling mightily. It's kind of like the big debate over whether Fisher is an average corner or a poor corner--either way, it's not really what you want. Kennedy does seem to pretty regularly tie up a couple of blockers, but he never actually beats the double team.

Glover has been something of a disappointment. At this rate, he'll be lucky to match his sack numbers from last year as a 3-4 nose tackle. I really expected more.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

[QUOTE][I think that if we move Kennedy over to DT where he could go after the qb he would be much more effective. Then we need to draft a massive run stopper. I think that those two moves could help this defense rise to it's potential.
    /QUOTE]

Or try sliding Wroten over to NT, at least see how it goes for this season.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey