Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Defensive keys

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Cool Re: Defensive keys

I really want to see some different looks than the cover 2. The prevent crap gets stale.

How bout some blitz schemes with the LBs and some stunts on the D-line. This constant gap plugging by the DTs gets old. We need to get back to an attack style defense, at least at certain times during games.

We need a slobber knocker in the middle.

Damn I miss Fletch.

I am not sure Thomas will ever be that monster in the middle.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Defensive keys

Does anyone remember the Billy Jenkins hit on Jeff George in the Minnesota playoff game?

That was one of the best hits of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Does anyone remember the Billy Jenkins hit on Jeff George in the Minnesota playoff game?

That was one of the best hits of the year.
    That's what I'm talkin bout!!

That was a stunt blitz. I think Fletch came first and then Jenkins cleaned up!!

Full attack mode!

:confused:

radjohns is offline Registered User

As long as it is not the undisciplined attacking/blitzing that lovie implemented last season, that'd be fine with me. However, I'd love to see DT's on this team that can actually plug some holes.

Well, they may have been too light last year Rad, and that's Lovie's fault if so.

I like the fact that they have gained weight. I could give a rats behind on the 40 time of a DT, but I do care if he can be big enough not to be pushed backwards from the offensive line on run blocking and making it almost impossible to give up less than 5 yards a carry.

Cool Re: Defensive keys

Quote Originally Posted by radjohns
    As long as it is not the undisciplined attacking/blitzing that lovie implemented last season
    Well you said it all when you mentioned Lovie. He is seemingly out of his element when he strays from the cover2. His blitzing schemes were not the greatest, but at times they were effective. I have to put some of the blame on the players for the lack of effectiveness.

I still think we need to attack during certain stages of the game. There was a lot of energy and running to the ball with the Lovie led unit. There just seems to be something missing. I think you need that leader in the middle. That high motor, slobber knocker of a MLB. We miss Fletch, it just hasn't been the same since he left for greener pastures. Damn if he didn't come out of nowhere too. Why can't we find another guy like him?

Hey tx, you said you were content with all offseason moves by the FO. I bet you wish they could have found a way to keep Fletch.

1st & Goal Guest

The D-line will need to keep people of the LB. This will allow them to do what they do best and that is run to the ball. Concerned about the lack of height in the secondary. Seems that the receivers are getting bigger every year.

I think London Fletcher is the biggest loss the Rams have had happen to them since 1998. Including this years departures. He was the heartbeat of the defense. Talk about Wistrom and his motor. If Wistrom was a V8, then Fletch was a V10. I'm glad he got the money in Buffalo, but of all the Rams who have left from 1998-2004, London Fletcher is the biggest loss. Salary Cap implications forced him out, but he still is the biggest loss the Rams have had.

elAcky Guest

I think London Fletcher is the biggest loss the Rams have had happen to them since 1998.
    how true.. .there is no soul to this D anymore

MartialRAM Guest

Quote Originally Posted by elAcky
    how true.. .there is no soul to this D anymore
    I don't think this is true at all. Williams, Arch, Tyoka. They are always fired up!!! Fletcher was a great loss, but saying the "Soul" is gone is wrong. :tongue:

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Hawaii 5-0 will bring back that fire that Dot Com once gave the defense. :1:

I think you guys are overrating Fletcher. He was a good linebacker (and one of my favorite Rams), always playing sideline to sideline, but he was sometimes a sloppy tackler and couldn't shed blocks. I'm starting to see the same things with Robert Thomas, but if the mountains of Kennedy and Pickett can keep linemen off him this season, he'll be fine.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    I think London Fletcher is the biggest loss the Rams have had happen to them since 1998. Including this years departures. He was the heartbeat of the defense. Talk about Wistrom and his motor. If Wistrom was a V8, then Fletch was a V10. I'm glad he got the money in Buffalo, but of all the Rams who have left from 1998-2004, London Fletcher is the biggest loss. Salary Cap implications forced him out, but he still is the biggest loss the Rams have had.
    I agree, losing Fletcher really had a huge impact on this defense. I hope young guys like Pisa can get some emotion back into the team and be a force at that position, but if we could have kept anyone that we lost over the past few years from free agency, Fletch would be at the top of my list.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

To me, the defensive leadership should come from the MLB position. I think it is relative to the QB on offense. Sure, guys like Arch, AW and Jackson are leaders, but none of them are at the center of the defense. Fletch had some weaknesses, but not many. Watching him on past game tape gives me an even greater appreciation for what he brought to the defense. There is no question in my mind that he was the leader of that defense and he is a sorely missed presence in the middle.

We need another presence in the middle!!

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Rob T was playing awesome last preseason... he just needs to carry that into the regular season (and quit getting hurt :bored: )

Yeah, he's ok EDM, but I don't care how you spin it, he's no Fletch. He just doesn't have the take charge, under control, slober knocker mentality that I admire. Maybe Vitt can get RT fired up and he will become that presence.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast