bruce4life is offline Registered User

defensive line...

obviously the dline is not getting it done. jason fisk is done, la roi glover is is over the hill, and kennedy is still a work in progress. wroten is showing skill but he is just a rookie... I believe the rams need to do something drastic to shake things up such as cutting fisk and bringing in somone like a bryan howard again or jonathan sullivan since haslett is familiar with him and he was a first round pick#6...

RamsFan16 Guest

Re: defensive line...

When New Englad cut Jonathan Sullivan after being traded there by New Orleans, I thought we should have jumped on him due to his familiarity with Jim Haslett, and thought that maybe cutting Dwaine Carpenter was for that reason, but I forget why that was?

This Defensive Line really does need help, badly. Little and Kennedy are looking good, and so is Adeyanju but he's a rookie. Glover is just not getting it done, sorry to say.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    This Defensive Line really does need help, badly. Little and Kennedy are looking good, and so is Adeyanju but he's a rookie. Glover is just not getting it done, sorry to say.
    How is it that three of our four D-linemen are looking good but we need help badly? I would think that if three of our four down linemen were looking good and doing their job, we wouldn't have nearly as many problems there as we currently do. The problems on the defensive line are more than just Glover.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Country Guest

Kennedy looks alright at the NT spot he was taking on the double team. Glover goty blown up and in my opinion does not have the size to be an every down starter.

DT is a need and at this rate will be big enough to be adressed in the 1st next year. As for this yearwe may to comb the FAs.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Every time I think of 1st round DT's I get a headache.

Fact remains that whilst Little is a tremendous pass rusher he has limitations against the run. Kennedy is slightly dinged and playing a different position at NT this year, Glover can't do it all on his own and has lost a step and Adeyanju is a rookie.

Whilst I've bemoaned the lack of a pass rush, or at least the fact that we can't get pressure unless we blitz thereby putting our average secondary under pressure, I do accept that this D is a work in progress. It needs a further infusion of talent next year through the draft and free agency and I'm sure it will get it.

What frustrates me a little is reading posts questioning where the defence that played against Denver has gone. It hasn't gone anywhere, it's just that some teams play better against the blitz than others, we caught a couple of teams cold early on, teams have looked at film and adjusted and we don't have the talent across the board to play like that every week.

There were some of us, when others were getting excited after week one saying it was one of the best Rams D's ever, who have been preaching caution consistently for the last seven weeks. I'm seeing what I thought we'd see. We're better than last year, with better talent and a better scheme but it's boom or bust or hit and miss and that's down to talent, plain and simple. We have not drafted well enough over the last few years to put a D on the field that will dominate games. We have the potential, in Witherspoon, Tinoisamoa, Atogwe, Hill,and Adeyanju but they're all young guys.

We'll get better as the season goes on and have a foundation for further improvement this year. We'll smack some teams and get smacked by some but that's just the way it is.

mh-i is offline Registered User

Like last year I see Little as the only keeper on the D line for the Rams. The rest are spectators out there. That's not to say some of the young guys won't be something someday but I don't see any of them making major leaps this year or next.

Either every team we play has a great O line and great runnings backs or the Rams D line is subpar. I understand the Chargers running the ball down our throat but so has every team we've played this year. We have major problems and it all starts at the line of scrimage.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    OK, think about this for a second. The DL is really in need of "help", but you think three of the four starters are "looking good." Something doesn't compute.

Glover has been average. Little's play is sporadic. Kennedy is average..at best, except on the rare occassion when he focuses. Adeyanju is a nice player for a rookie, but he's probably not much better than a depth player.

Not to pick on you, but why is everyone willing to say our defense stinks but then refuse to recognize the places where the talent is lacking? What a bunch of homers, geesh.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Well, as far as Adeyanju goes, I think you can say he's doing well and still acknowledge that it is nowhere near good enough. Because he probably isn't playing any worse than you'd expect from a fourth round rookie thrust into a starting role. When we drafted him, people noted that one of the flaws in his game was a lack of variety of pass rushing moves. If I recall correctly, one of the knocks on him was that he was a very raw player--a player that would take time to develop. You put him in as an immediate starter and what do you expect? He is coming along well enough that the team was willing to trade Hargrove, but he's still probably below the average level of starting DEs in the league.

I think Kennedy is playing reasonably well--not spectacularly but better than he has in the past. He is taking on double teams consistently, but Glover and Adeyanju have not really been exploiting their single matchups. I saw Little getting pressure on passing plays, but the Chargers only threw the ball about 40% of the time and Rivers didn't need much time to find open options underneath the coverage. More importantly, though, Little was not playing the run very well. I don't know if that's ever been something he really excelled at.
    Last edited by Goldenfleece; -10-31-2006 at 11:33 AM. Reason: clarification

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Until we can get some consistent pressure on the QB with our front four will be a gambling Defense. Sometimes sucking wind and other times creating havoc. Lately it's been the sucking wind that has us all up in arms.