Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    btimsah Guest

    Defensive Outlook

    I think the biggest key to this defense will (as I usually do) be our secondary. Primarily because of how we're gonna be blitzing a lot and it's up to them to cover for 5 seconds at least. If they can do that reasonably well, we can have a more viable defense.

    From what I understand, Spags is a Jim Johnson disciple even though he has his own spins on it. He brings heat from everywhere and I look forward to seeing James Laurinitus and Will Witherspoon out there. I really think those two could have great seasons, as well as I think this defense, while it might get picked apart at times will create a LOT MORE turnovers this year.

    At least I hope so. Our secondary, could greatly benefit from Spags blitzing schemes so they don't have to cover so long.

    Thoughts?


  2. #2
    rams4life88's Avatar
    rams4life88 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    134
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Defensive Outlook

    I agree. But the key will be pressure. Chris Long and the guys up front got to step up this year or it wont matter who we have in our seconday. However, besides the one cb spot, I think we have the potential to have on of the top secondaries in the game. But like i said, the pressure is key.

  3. #3
    HornyRam's Avatar
    HornyRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    73
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Defensive Outlook

    I think the biggest key will be the front seven and their ability to stop the run.

  4. #4
    MauiRam's Avatar
    MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maui, Hi.
    Age
    70
    Posts
    4,781
    Rep Power
    79

    Re: Defensive Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by btimsah View Post
    I think the biggest key to this defense will (as I usually do) be our secondary. Primarily because of how we're gonna be blitzing a lot and it's up to them to cover for 5 seconds at least. If they can do that reasonably well, we can have a more viable defense.

    From what I understand, Spags is a Jim Johnson disciple even though he has his own spins on it. He brings heat from everywhere and I look forward to seeing James Laurinitus and Will Witherspoon out there. I really think those two could have great seasons, as well as I think this defense, while it might get picked apart at times will create a LOT MORE turnovers this year.

    At least I hope so. Our secondary, could greatly benefit from Spags blitzing schemes so they don't have to cover so long.

    Thoughts?
    If our secondary has to try and maintain tight coverage for 5+ seconds, we're likely going to be in for a loooong season. Let's hope it's 4 max and under - particularly if we're blitzing alot.

    I agree with you that out revamped D should produce more turnovers ..

  5. #5
    laram0's Avatar
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,151
    Rep Power
    107

    Re: Defensive Outlook

    I believe the front 7, actually the front 4 will be the key to our success. If we can pressure the QB with just the front 4 we will be watching a very successful defense.

    GO RAMS!

  6. #6
    Richbert88's Avatar
    Richbert88 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern California
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,215
    Rep Power
    33

    Re: Defensive Outlook

    I agree with HornyRam. It's gotta be the run defense.

    Here's why I think so. If the Rams front can't put a team into passing situations on a semi regular basis, particularly long passing situations, ie a 3rd and 7, then they won't be able to key on pressuring the passer in those obvious situations. Only then is it the pressure the front 7 can put on the QB. But it's got to start with the run D. I'd bank more on the reliability of grabbing some pressure interceptions than coverage interceptions. Therefore, I think the secondary is not the key. Doesn't mean it can't hurt though.
    Semper Fi!

  7. #7
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER's Avatar
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Surf City USA
    Age
    61
    Posts
    2,277
    Rep Power
    56

    Re: Defensive Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by Richbert88 View Post
    I agree with HornyRam. It's gotta be the run defense.

    Here's why I think so. If the Rams front can't put a team into passing situations on a semi regular basis, particularly long passing situations, ie a 3rd and 7, then they won't be able to key on pressuring the passer in those obvious situations. Only then is it the pressure the front 7 can put on the QB. But it's got to start with the run D. I'd bank more on the reliability of grabbing some pressure interceptions than coverage interceptions. Therefore, I think the secondary is not the key. Doesn't mean it can't hurt though.
    Totally agree that it's the front four guys. The key is NOT the secondary. It is extremely important that those guys step up, but the key (to me) is the front line. If the front line can't stuff the running lanes and put pressure on the qb w/o a blitz, any weaknesses in the secondary will be exposed, and any strengths in the secondary will be negated. The Rams MUST get consistant production from the front four. Conversely, a strong front four can, and often does cover a weak secondary. You disrupt the timing of the QB, or force him to throw when he's not ready to throw, and a lot of bad things will happen to the offense. You give the QB 4 or 5 seconds to pick a reciever and throw, I don't care who you have back there, you're in BIG trouble.

    In my humble opinion, there is no bigger issue to the Rams this season than getting Long and Carriker to put up or shut up this season. I believe the success or failure of this team greatly depends on how those guys (or whomever replaces them) compete this year.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

  8. #8
    jmk321's Avatar
    jmk321 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    albany
    Posts
    591
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: Defensive Outlook

    The players up front need to step up. Spags' scheme alone isn't going to get qb pressure. There needs to be talent up front to get pressure and the rams clearly don't have as much talent up front as the eagles or giants. If Long and Carriker play up to their potential and Little comes back strong then the defense should be fine but I don't like having so many ifs on the defensive line.

  9. #9
    OldSchoolRamFan's Avatar
    OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Castle Rock, Colorado, United States
    Age
    42
    Posts
    404
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Defensive Outlook

    In my humble opinion, there is no bigger issue to the Rams this season than getting Long and Carriker to put up or shut up this season. I believe the success or failure of this team greatly depends on how those guys (or whomever replaces them) compete this year.
    Not to detract from your humble opinion, but I think you can make a decent case for Carriker in this situation, but I really believe that "put up or shut up" doesn't apply so much to Long. He had a very acceptable rookie year and I believe that based on the environment he was faced with, he did put up. I would agree that he does need to continue to improve (as do MOST 2nd year players), but I strongly disagree that any mention of "future replacement" belongs attached to his name.
    Steve

    What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

  10. #10
    RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,071
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: Defensive Outlook

    For me the biggest question mark and most important area to improve on defense is the rushing defense. And that means the front-four and their role clogging up lanes and occupying blockers. I believe Laurinaitis & Witherspoon can make the tackles and have very good years both - but they need the front-four to play much better than they have in recent years. I believe last year was actually the worst ever year in franchise history for run defense - we cannot look even remotely like that again this year or we're going absolutely nowhere other than another top-5 pick next year.

  11. #11
    btimsah Guest

    Re: Defensive Outlook

    I think you guys got it backwards.

    Allow me to explain. If we were running a lot of zone, then yes I'd agree with you. It's up to our line and linebackers to rush the passer and stuff the run.

    But since we are going to be manufacturing (with exotic blitz's) pressure and overloading running lanes with blitzes it should help out our front 8. It can however put pressure on our DB's. They will become very much our last line of defense and they won't have a lot of help outside of the additional pressure getting sacks, fumbles, causing quick bad throws and eventually picks.

    This is how I think about this stuff, but maybe that's just my Madden mind or something. LOL


  12. #12
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER's Avatar
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Surf City USA
    Age
    61
    Posts
    2,277
    Rep Power
    56

    Re: Defensive Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolRamFan View Post
    Not to detract from your humble opinion, but I think you can make a decent case for Carriker in this situation, but I really believe that "put up or shut up" doesn't apply so much to Long. He had a very acceptable rookie year and I believe that based on the environment he was faced with, he did put up. I would agree that he does need to continue to improve (as do MOST 2nd year players), but I strongly disagree that any mention of "future replacement" belongs attached to his name.

    When I said "put up or shut up", I wasn't really saying it to mean that they're cocky, or haven't lived up to their mouth. I know neither is like that. Probably a poor choice of words on my part. However, Long and Carriker have not even come close to producing the way a high first round draft choice should, IMHO. Having an "acceptable rookie year", isn't what you really want from a number two overall draft pick, is it? I was thinking terms like; "flashes of greatness,", or "dominating at times" would be the words used to describe a draft pick of his "caliber".

    Long and Carriker have been "ok", and haven't even had one complete game that I can remember where they showed flashes of great potential. That's what bothers me. If Long or Carriker had some flashes here and there, I'd probably be less concerned, but I've seen nothing yet that says either of those guys are "it". Neither has made a difference at their positions to this point. My comment about "future replacements" is based on their play to date. I hear a lot about Long having a "great motor', but he was pushed around badly in the Atlanta game, and many other games as well. Sure, his motor was still running, but it was in chase mode. We need him to be in stop the run and sack the QB mode....

    Also, we really don't know for sure who will be starting on the D-line yet, especially seeing how Carriker is nicked again and hasn't been on the field. So, based on that, who can say that Carriker OR Long will be starters when the season is well under way. Maybe someone else will step up and get the nod. Who knows? I hope not, because that means the Rams wasted a hell of a lot of money.

    Of course I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that the line play improves tremendously this year, but until I see it with my own eyes, I'm going to say that the D-line is the Rams biggest weakness, and the single biggest key to a good (or bad) season.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

  13. #13
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,233
    Rep Power
    127

    Re: Defensive Outlook

    If the run defense doesn't improve, there won't be much to worry about in the secondary because instead of defending passes, the DB's will be chasing down RB's.

  14. #14
    btimsah Guest

    Re: Defensive Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    If the run defense doesn't improve, there won't be much to worry about in the secondary because instead of defending passes, the DB's will be chasing down RB's.
    lol, true.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: -05-05-2007, 02:31 AM
  2. Team Postion Rankings
    By RamsFan16 in forum NFL TALK
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: -06-07-2006, 09:07 AM
  3. Rams take coaching show to LA
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -01-17-2006, 05:57 PM
  4. NFL Draft Countdown's Nov. 11 Mock Draft
    By Nick in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -11-15-2005, 07:36 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: -12-04-2004, 09:44 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •