bruce_wannabe Guest

Defensive Scheme...

ALL THESE RAMS' DEFENSIVE PLAYERS WE ALL say that are busts such as jimmy kennedy and d-lew, archuleta,and big-grease pickett are in the totally wrong defensive scheme the past couple years. look at the stats when these players played in lovie smith's defense compared to marmie's defense..... i dont have the stats on me because im too lazy to look them up but still the rams defense as a unit was much stronger with a much more simplistic defense... marmie's defense called for run blitzes which would leave the dt's out of position and thats why there was huge running lanes.... ALL IM TRYING TO SAY HERE IS THAT THE RAMS SHOULD INVEST MOST OF THEIR OFFSEASON MONEY TO RETAIN ARCH, D-LEW AND BIG-GREASE BECAUSE THEY HAVE SHOWN PROMISE AND WITH A NEW DEFENSIVE SCHEME THAT ACTUALLY MATCHES THEIR TALENT, THEY COULD PRODUCE...

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: Defensive Scheme...

I have to agree with you there. That D Scheme is pretty crap but still I haven't seen much of Dlew!
    RamsFan16

mh-i is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_wannabe
    ALL IM TRYING TO SAY HERE IS THAT THE RAMS SHOULD INVEST MOST OF THEIR OFFSEASON MONEY TO RETAIN ARCH, D-LEW AND BIG-GREASE BECAUSE THEY HAVE SHOWN PROMISE AND WITH A NEW DEFENSIVE SCHEME THAT ACTUALLY MATCHES THEIR TALENT, THEY COULD PRODUCE...

Why would you want the rams to invest MOST of their offseason $$ on guys who helped the Rams become one of the worst defensive teams in the NFL? I would rather they invest their $$ to bring in new blood that will improve the D. I wouldn't over pay to keep any of these guys. I would imagine that the Rams would only retain Pickett or Lewis, not both, if for some reason another team throws big money at one of those guys. Archuleta on the other hand has ONLY 3 career interceptions. Furrey had 4 int's, only playing part of the season. Arch needs to go.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Sorry, whilst I can see a good case for retaining Pickett and maybe Archuleta (only at the right price) I just can't see how 10.5 sacks in 5 years gets Lewis a new contract.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Lewis and Pickett didn't really get it done when Lovie was here either. There is a reason the Rams drafted Kennedy too.

Arch was a good close-to-the-line safety, but he's never been good in man-to-man coverage and only effective in cover 2 zones. Plus, he is clearly not the same athletically as he was two years ago. He's nothing better than a situational player right now, in my opinion.

Re-sign them? It all depends on price. Pickett had a good year, yes, but $4 million in cap space for a guy who has had exactly one good year? When you need help everywhere on D? You can get two decent d-linemen at that price who are not spectacular, but probably capable of tackling the guy in front of them.

Arch and D. Lewis are only here again if we don't have to pay them.

Cap management is very, very important for the Rams right now because they have enough on offense to be competitive for at least three years. If they blow their cap space, it will screw this franchise for years. Literally. The Marshall Faulk contract is going to start haunting us very soon; we don't need more of those.

That said, the scheme was awful. It was too complicated.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

no way do we resign lewis, hes awful,arch maybe at the right price and only if he agrees to go to tackling camp this winter,pickett is a must sign,put him with kennedy and with little and hargrove at the end position i like that line, of course throw in some good coaching.