LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Defensive Scheme...

The crew calling the Raider game kept calling attention to the Rams blitzing on 2nd down. This, according to them, is going to create a lot of problems exposing the middle for large gains and I think the Raiders did that. Is this really going to be Haslett's plan?

I remember how effective the Haslett's Saint's defense was at times vs. GSOT. My problem is with this group of guys, which seems to be alittle undersized, can they blitz effectively and still cover well enough to break these big plays. Bartell concerns me and I feel that until Brown gets back we are going to need big numbers from our offense to stay in games.

LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Defensive Scheme...

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    Bartell concerns me and I feel that until Brown gets back we are going to need big numbers from our offense to stay in games.
    Brown would be an improvement overall Bartell but it's not as if Fakhir is going to shut down his side of the field.

The problem when you blitz on any down is that you really hurt yourself if you don't get there before the pass is made. I mean, you're taking a guy out of a coverage responsibility and telling him to rush the passer. If he's blocked, then not only is he not helping to cover someone but he's also not forcing a poor or early throw.

It's all about getting pressure on the quarterback. Ideally you'd like to be able to do that regularly with your front four. But you'd certainly like to do it when you blitz. When you don't, a competent quarterback is going to burn you.

I would expect Haslett to mix up his blitz calls more than just doing them all on the same down, but the real issue is if our extra rushers are affecting the passer.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    The crew calling the Raider game kept calling attention to the Rams blitzing on 2nd down. This, according to them, is going to create a lot of problems exposing the middle for large gains and I think the Raiders did that. Is this really going to be Haslett's plan?

I remember how effective the Haslett's Saint's defense was at times vs. GSOT. My problem is with this group of guys, which seems to be alittle undersized, can they blitz effectively and still cover well enough to break these big plays. Bartell concerns me and I feel that until Brown gets back we are going to need big numbers from our offense to stay in games.
    The preseason is the time to try different blitzs, no? Mad Scientist Haslett is experimenting. He needs to see what the individuals on this defense are capable of or unable to handle. I hope?

MentalMetalHead is offline Registered User

Yeah I'd think it's Coach Haslett experimenting in the pre season to see what will work in the regular season, although the result didn't go our way I'm not too disappointed, it's pre season, not the end of the world!

Rambos is offline Registered User

Last nights game we did not try and hide the fact we where coming, not at all. This will change, and as Nick said the front four getting pressure on the quarterback is ideal. I like what I have seen from Wroten, he can be a force. With Little, Wroten and Hall, we should get it done.

Country is offline Registered User

Haslett has had some very good defenses in this league and I wouldn't worry it is preseason and the Rams are experimenting and trying to throw some misdirection.