RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Deion Sanders on Avery ....

"He makes the best adjustments to the ball that I've seen in the league all season long ..."

Hmmm, not bad for a RAW wide receiver that CANNOT RUN ROUTES ....

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Deion Sanders on Avery ....

Kickass, he's a gem for sure!

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Very good for a raw receiver who doesn't yet run consistent routes but has the talent & instincts to adjust to the long ball in the air & make people miss once he catches it. You can almost see MB calculating where he THINKS he will be on those big plays,rather than just throwing to a spot.

Raw because he doesn't yet read the defense well enough to help MB beat the blitz.

Inconsistent route running because I've rarely seen him get separation on the crisply-cut timing route underneath. The kind of 5-15 yard plays that built Bruce & Holt's HOF careers, never mind Hakim's surgery on a body of LBs.

There's nothing but upside to this kid especially since he has refuted the scouting knock that he had questionable hands.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Well he shut up those who critcized his draft position. I liked it when we drafted him, and now I love the pick. He's going to be our #1 in the future for sure.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Very good for a raw receiver who doesn't yet run consistent routes but has the talent & instincts to adjust to the long ball in the air & make people miss once he catches it. You can almost see MB calculating where he THINKS he will be on those big plays,rather than just throwing to a spot.

Raw because he doesn't yet read the defense well enough to help MB beat the blitz.

Inconsistent route running because I've rarely seen him get separation on the crisply-cut timing route underneath. The kind of 5-15 yard plays that built Bruce & Holt's HOF careers, never mind Hakim's surgery on a body of LBs.

There's nothing but upside to this kid especially since he has refuted the scouting knock that he had questionable hands.
    Speaking of which, whatever happen to Hakim?

Now to Avery-He is perfect for Al's system which is why I was ok with him being drafted (guys who run a 4.2 and are quick at the same time are hard to come by), but in time people are going to start bumping him at the line b/c of his size so he's gonna have to anticipate that and get stronger or simply beat them with his quickness. I anticipate that we use him like another reciever who is about his size (Moss in Washington) so that we can keep him from getting injured alot.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post

(guys who run a 4.2 and are quick at the same time are hard to come by),
    Wait....

what??

shower beers is offline Registered User

Man, I certainly took a ribbing from my friends who were watching the draft with me, when we selected Avery, but strangely enough, they don't talk about it anymore.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post

Now to Avery-He is perfect for Al's system which is why I was ok with him being drafted (guys who run a 4.2 and are quick at the same time are hard to come by), but in time people are going to start bumping him at the line b/c of his size so he's gonna have to anticipate that and get stronger or simply beat them with his quickness. I anticipate that we use him like another reciever who is about his size (Moss in Washington) so that we can keep him from getting injured alot.
    I think it'd be a tough call whether to try to bump him or line up with a healthy cushion so as not to get beat deep. If you try to knock him off his route and don't get a good push on him, he's going to be off to the races before you can get turned around.

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

The Cards will be ready for that play action fake we used twice already. Lets hope we find something else as a surprise, surprise. With Jax back i'm sure we can come up with something to free up some passing lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by Guam rammer View Post
    The Cards will be ready for that play action fake we used twice already. Lets hope we find something else as a surprise, surprise. With Jax back i'm sure we can come up with something to free up some passing lanes.
    Well, here is the thing with that play action play that I've noticed. The tight end is coming off the edge as a serious decoy. He's running a deep in, which forces the safety, or nickel back, whoever is in the area to make a decision. Nobody is going to be able to run with Avery one on one, so if he gets deep, the defense has to make a decision. Either you peel off a second defender on Avery, which leaves the tight end wide open in the middle of the field, or you take a chance going one on one on the outside edge with Avery. Imagine if we still had McMichael, who could exploit that deep in all day long ....

I would be shocked if we don't go deep to Avery at least three times in this game. Each time we do it, successful or not, they will have to back up just a little bit more. Time will tell if we can exploit the middle of the field in this game ....

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Well, here is the thing with that play action play that I've noticed. The tight end is coming off the edge as a serious decoy. He's running a deep in, which forces the safety, or nickel back, whoever is in the area to make a decision. Nobody is going to be able to run with Avery one on one, so if he gets deep, the defense has to make a decision. Either you peel off a second defender on Avery, which leaves the tight end wide open in the middle of the field, or you take a chance going one on one on the outside edge with Avery. Imagine if we still had McMichael, who could exploit that deep in all day long ....

I would be shocked if we don't go deep to Avery at least three times in this game. Each time we do it, successful or not, they will have to back up just a little bit more. Time will tell if we can exploit the middle of the field in this game ....
    Good post. I think that a second key to this will be establishing the running game early to get the defense to freeze on the fake. Also, as the defense backs up to keep from getting smoked by Avery, it opens up the middle of the field. Man, I LOVE having a deep threat again

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaRamFan View Post
    Good post. I think that a second key to this will be establishing the running game early to get the defense to freeze on the fake. Also, as the defense backs up to keep from getting smoked by Avery, it opens up the middle of the field. Man, I LOVE having a deep threat again
    One thing that has impressed me about Bulger on both play action bombs to Avery is in both situations there was a pass rusher about to unload on him, and he stood in there and launched the pass downfield. There can be serious gains made on these play action passes other than to Avery if Bulger is patient and looks for the underneath man ...