Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

The Demise of the RAMS

I'm sad to say that I think we are going down for the count as an Organization. I think it'll take 3 years or so for the clowns in our Front office to be replaced.

No one with one foot in reality would argue that Martz is done coaching here. The Front Office will conveniently point the finger at Martz and buy themselves a couple years. With the lack of leadership and the crazy stunts.. the Organization will decline. I don't think ANY coach (and the good ones are going to avoid the Rams) will be successful without leadership at the top.

And we will see something that the Rams haven't seen in many years - players wanting to move on so that they can play for a SB contender.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: The Demise of the RAMS

I see the organization going in one of two directions in the near future. It all depends on who is hired as the next head coach (I'm assuming Martz won't be back).

If a strong head coach is hired to "clean things up," the team could be right back in the hunt very quickly. I truly believe that there is enough talent (though there are clear gaps) for a strong coach with a vision to work with.

The other possibilty that I try not to think about is the "puppet" scenario. If the Rams hire a "puppet" for the FO to control from the shadows, the Rams will be in trouble. Big trouble.

MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    The other possibilty that I try not to think about is the "puppet" scenario. If the Rams hire a "puppet" for the FO to control from the shadows, the Rams will be in trouble. Big trouble.
    What a LION of a nightmare that would be.....
    [SIGPIC]http://www.stickershoppe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MLRPANCmini.jpg[/SIGPIC]This is for Randy! GO BRM!

The truth is, that is one of the big reasons I am not thrilled with the prospect of Joe Vitt being elevated. A guy like Vitt would have no clout whatsoever with the Front Office. Its not like other teams are lining up to hire him as a head coach. So, a guy like Vitt would not come in with the ability to say to the FO - "stay out of my business - I run this team!"

There are candidates out there who could say that (at least for the first 2-3 years after being hired).

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    The truth is, that is one of the big reasons I am not thrilled with the prospect of Joe Vitt being elevated. A guy like Vitt would have no clout whatsoever with the Front Office. Its not like other teams are lining up to hire him as a head coach. So, a guy like Vitt would not come in with the ability to say to the FO - "stay out of my business - I run this team!"

There are candidates out there who could say that (at least for the first 2-3 years after being hired).
    But do you think Shawgmunt would even give a guy like that an interview? I don't. Let's be real about who is on top of this mountain......John Shaw. It ain't Martz, which is becoming more obvious everyday. It ain't Kroenke, what's a minority holder gonna do? It ain't Georgia, she doesn't know the first thing about this team, nor does she care to. She has put her trust in her long-time pal Shaw who sits alone atop this steaming mound. And what has Shaw done? Forged an alliance with his other egg-head stiff collar buddy, Zygmunt. After the experience they've had with Martz, I don't see them even looking at a veteran HC with his own opinions and procedures.

No matter how you slice it, Shawgmunt will be hiring our new HC, and that fact alone is NOT confidence inspiring.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I think it'll take 3 years or so for the clowns in our Front office to be replaced.
    But who is going to clean out the FO? Ultimately it falls to Georgia.......which means it falls to Shawgmunt, and I don't see them firing themselves anytime soon.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    But who is going to clean out the FO? Ultimately it falls to Georgia.......which means it falls to Shawgmunt, and I don't see them firing themselves anytime soon.
    Will just have to have Avenger feed Bernie his material.I think then The removal process will speed up.

LOL
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Actually, this team is in no different of a reality than it was ten years ago. It was a mucked up organization then and it still is. Success on the field just put some makeup on the problem.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Actually, this team is in no different of a reality than it was ten years ago. It was a mucked up organization then and it still is. Success on the field just put some makeup on the problem.

Sad to say, but it's the truth.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

Isn't that a "tail wagging the dog" kind of argument, though?

If the team wins, how can the Front Office be considered "mucked up"? In the end, results on the field are what matter, right?

I suppose one could, if they wish, argue that the Rams succeeded in spite of a bad front office, but I'm not sure that's entirely accurate.

The truth is, the Front Office (any Front Office) does its best job when it sticks to what it is supposed to be doing - hiring qualified personnel, signing and drafting talented players, and staying the Hell out of day-to-day team issues.

When they cross the line, that's when problems begin. Is that the story of the Rams' Front Office? Maybe to some extent, but that's hardly the whole story.

Well, even a broken clock is right twice a day (except for the military, which would be once teacher bison...lol)

The Rams were lucky in 1999. The Marshall Faulk trade was one that fell in their lap, and then Warner suddenly turns into Super QB. The Rams were fortunate but that fortune has been spent and now the Rams are hoping for that magic lottery ticket again.

If the acquisition of Marshall Faulk, London Fletcher, Kurt Warner, and others can be termed "lucky," then does that mean that the failure of Eric Crouch, Milton Wynn, Joe Germaine and Trung Canidate were merely examples of "bad luck."

You can't have it both ways.

The best thing this Front Office can do is to find a qualified person to run the football side of the football team - and then let him do it.

C'mon Av.....Faulk for a 2nd and 5th round pick NOT LUCKY? The Crouch debacle wasn't bad luck, it was stinkin thinkin or stupidity.

No, the Faulk deal wasn't lucky. It was an opportunistic move. The Colts wanted to move Faulk and go with a young guy (they drafted Edge that year). Faulk, talent wise, should have been more valuable on the trade market, but there were rumblings about his "character."

The Rams were smart enough to (a) recognize that Faulk was not going to be a problem character-wise, and (b) to offer just the right amount to outbid any other suiters.

That's not luck, that's good management.

Crouch, likewise, was not bad luck. It was bad management.

Alright, bad management....bad medicine.....bad timing....

doesn't matter. This FO has been "mucked" up for years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast