Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By HUbison
  • 1 Post By Rambos

Thread: Demoff is “amazed” by the “angst” in St. Louis ..

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Demoff is “amazed” by the “angst” in St. Louis ..

Posted by Mike Florio on June 9, 2012, 9:54 PM EDT

The Rams could be only three seasons away from having the ability to break their lease at the Edward Jones Dome and return to L.A. Or anywhere else.

And so the current contractual dance between St. Louis and its football team, which is unfolding with the Rams donning their best poker face and necessarily displaying ambivalence to the fan base, is creating concern among the folks who want the team to stick around.

But COO Kevin Demoff doesn’t think fans should be worried.

“I’m amazed that we are years removed from even having a lease that goes year to year yet there is more angst in St. Louis than there is currently in San Diego or Oakland where the lease issues are more pressing,” Demoff said during Friday’s chat conducted via the team’s official website. “There is more angst in St. Louis than there was in Minnesota and the Vikings lease was year to year. The reasoning is simple — we’ve been burned before and now there is another lease issue to be resolved. Fans don’t deserve to have this hanging over there [sic] head which is why we are excited about our proposal for a first tier facility which will give St. Louis a great NFL stadium. Then we can finally put the lease/stadium/team moving discussions to bed and focus on improving this football team and building the winner that St. Louis deserves.”

Demoff’s explanation adroitly distorts the reality. The Rams made a “proposal” for a first-tier upgrade that would cost $700 million without committing a penny toward paying for it, and the Convention and Visitors Commission wisely rejected it. Eventually, three arbitrators will fashion a plan for getting the Edward Jones Dome into the top eight facilities in the league. And if the CVC opts not to proceed, the Rams will have the ability to leave after the 2014 season.

Against those basic facts, the Rams aren’t saying that they’re staying. Instead, the team (through Demoff) has reacted to the concern by explaining that the fans shouldn’t be concerned.

But they should be. Given the ongoing absence of a clear sense that the Rams are committed to staying, there’s no reason they shouldn’t be.

Demoff’s comments aren’t designed to alleviate those concerns. They’re intended to help lay the foundation for placing blame on St. Louis if the Rams end up leaving. Which in turn puts more pressure on St. Louis to give the Rams their first-tier stadium.

The Rams, put simply, are driving a hard bargain. Taking real steps to make the fans not worry about the team leaving makes it impossible to drive the hardest bargain possible.

And that’s fine. But the Rams shouldn’t act surprised that the fans are worried when the Rams have given them zero reasons not to.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Re: Demoff is “amazed” by the “angst” in St. Louis ..

His comment about the local fans "angst" is so ridiculous that it's laughable.

SO, if the fans showed no interest or "angst", they'd be what?

..uncaring?

Exactly. Maybe the locals are anxious because they care about losing the Rams. ...and he's surprised at that?

Really?
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post

..uncaring?

Exactly. Maybe the locals are anxious because they care about losing the Rams. ...and he's surprised at that?

Really?
    ^^^This^^^

I've been a big fan of Demoff since he got here but he really crapped the bed with the responses he gave in this interview.

He was either ill prepared or somehow thought that his transparent "answers" would fly with a Rams fan base that is concerned and quite legitimately so about the future of this team in St. Louis.

Geez after reading this I'm having #%^$& John Shaw flashbacks....

Wake up, Kevin. You are better than that.

WHAT SAY YE?
    Last edited by RAMarkable; -06-11-2012 at 12:25 AM.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I got to "mike florio" and stopped taking this article seriously. He for whatever reasons hates the city of St. Louis and is a major ______ (you can fill in the blank)

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post

..uncaring?

Really?
    Okay, folks; pay attention. And I mean pay CLOSE attention. You are about to see something that has never been seen before. I mean, I'm talking "Sasquatch riding a unicorn over to the Loch Ness monster's house for poker night" kind of something never seen.

Ready? Here we go:

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is absolutely correct, and I couldn't agree more with his post in this thread about the Rams staying or moving.

Whew....I did it. I actually managed to type that without blacking out. Though now I'm a little dizzy.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Okay, folks; pay attention. And I mean pay CLOSE attention. You are about to see something that has never been seen before. I mean, I'm talking "Sasquatch riding a unicorn over to the Loch Ness monster's house for poker night" kind of something never seen.

Ready? Here we go:

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is absolutely correct, and I couldn't agree more with his post in this thread about the Rams staying or moving.

Whew....I did it. I actually managed to type that without blacking out. Though now I'm a little dizzy.
    Best to take the day off work then

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

not to sound dumb but new word of the day for me!

Definition of ANGST
    : a feeling of anxiety, apprehension, or insecurity
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

2nd word of the day more familiar: ADROIT: having or showing skill, cleverness, or resourcefulness in handling situations.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Not sure what Demoff was thinking when he said this, but out of touch comes to mind.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Not sure what Demoff was thinking when he said this, but out of touch comes to mind.
    It does sound "out of touch" - that said - he goes into more detail in the "Chat" I just posted. Regardless of what is said by either side in this, the Rams are a business, just like every other NFL team, and they are going to try and get the best deal they can. Wherever the Rams end up playing, I'll always be a fan. I do believe the Rams will end up staying in Missouri in close proximity to St. Louis, if not the Dome.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Demoff’s explanation adroitly distorts the reality. The Rams made a “proposal” for a first-tier upgrade that would cost $700 million without committing a penny toward paying for it, and the Convention and Visitors Commission wisely rejected it. Eventually, three arbitrators will fashion a plan for getting the Edward Jones Dome into the top eight facilities in the league. And if the CVC opts not to proceed, the Rams will have the ability to leave after the 2014 season.
    Mike Florio makes it sound as if the Rams can just pick up an leave... to where? LA? The NFL has not approved any team to play in LA. No deal has been done. No stadium has been built.

Demoff's statement is out of touch, no doubt. My take is he was saying it's a bit early to start stressing over a process that is going to take years not months. I believe Demoff thinks the Stan wants to stay and the Rams and the city will have a top eight facilities when all is said and done. The City had no problem giving Georgia Frontiere and the Rams what they wanted too get them! They will have to do it again to keep them!
    Last edited by Rambos; -06-11-2012 at 07:07 PM.
    MauiRam likes this.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Mike Florio makes it sound as if the Rams can just pick up an leave... to where? LA? The NFL has not approved any team to play in LA. No deal has been done. No stadium has been built.

Demoff's statement is out of touch, no doubt. My take is he was saying it's a bit early to start stressing over a process that is going to take years not months. I believe Demoff thinks the Stan wants to stay and the Rams and the city will have a top eight facilities when all is said and done. The City had no problem giving Georgia Frontiere and the Rams what they wanted too get them! They will have to do it again to keep them!
    Exactly. Both potential groups in LA have said that they must FIRST have a team commit BEFORE they start shoveling dirt. There isn't going to be a stadium to come to until a team commits, period. The way I read his comments are he's just issuing some "damage control", knowing he still has tickets to sell as long as the team IS in Stl. He's not going to say anything remotely hinting to a move at this time in the process. But the points being made about a stadium sitting here waiting for the Rams to move are just not true. If the Rams stay in Stl or move to LA, either way, the team will be playing in a temp stadium for 2-3 years while the ED/Farmer's Field, or Koskie's new stadium is being built.

In the end, Stan will do what's best for the business, and what option can make the most money.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968