Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Deon Branch for Mardy Gilyard

With the Hawk/Pats deal sending Branch back east for a 4th round pick, there's been some discussions of "why not us?", "why couldn't we have traded a 4th for Branch?"

Nevermind that the Pats make the deal because of Branch's familiarity with their system and culture.

Nevermind that the Hawks would not work a deal with a division rival.

Aside from that, this deal would be the same of swapping Branch for Gilyard. Who among us would be willing to swap Branch for Gilyard? I would not.

For those who would give up Gilyard for Branch, explain to me why you pull that trigger?

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Re: Deon Branch for Mardy Gilyard

I can just imagine the cries of "the sky is falling!" horrible asset management, helping out a division rival, etc.

The Hawks would have wanted way more than Branch was worth to trade him to a division rival who just beat them.

As far as Gilyard, unimpressive so far, but I feel like people are giving up way too early on a kid who is 5 games into his career.

Last time I recalled, Vjax, the "savior" of the Rams to some, did not exactly light the world on fire in his first year...or his second...or his third. In case anyone was curious, VJax caught 3 passes for 59 yards in year 1, 27 for 453 in year two, and 41 for 623 in his third year. None of those are even close to pro bowl quality years. Give guys some time.

I think we need a vet WR, but it is way too early to give up on our young guys. Also, sorry to hijack your thread.

Also, sorry to hijack your thread.
    No hijack at all, berg. You're actually quite on point.

Gilyard is all upside. Branch is absolutely no upside. In a year or two (when the Rams are set to compete) where will these two WRs be? One will be a mid-20's receiver with a couple of seasons under his belt. The other will be a 33-year-old receiver with his career behind him.

I'll take the kid, thank you very much.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RebelYell is offline Registered User

The hags gave up a 1st round pick for Branch because he was a known commodity.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    For those who would give up Gilyard for Branch, explain to me why you pull that trigger?
    I understand your point but not really.

You see we wouldn't be giving up Gilyard we would be giving up a 4th round pick. So we would have Branch and Gilyard. Making the team better for this year.

I think we got lucky with Gilyard falling to the 4th round.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a huge Branch fan but I'm also not a fan of most draft picks after the 3rd round so I'm not opposed to trading a 4th round for a shot at another Clayton type receiver even if it's only for a couple of years.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post

Don't get me wrong I'm not a huge Branch fan but I'm also not a fan of most draft picks after the 3rd round so I'm not opposed to trading a 4th round for a shot at another Clayton type receiver even if it's only for a couple of years.
    Cliff Ryan would like to speak with you about this in the parking lot.

You see we wouldn't be giving up Gilyard we would be giving up a 4th round pick.
    We would be giving up next year's Gilyard. Or had we done this last year, it would have actually been Gilyard.

The point is this front office has shown the ability to spend a 4th round pick on a WR with potential. Why give up that pick for a #3 (at best) WR in his 30's?

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

We would be giving up next year's Gilyard. Or had we done this last year, it would have actually been Gilyard.

The point is this front office has shown the ability to spend a 4th round pick on a WR with potential. Why give up that pick for a #3 (at best) WR in his 30's?
    I guess I think Gilyard is an unusually talented player to have been gotten in the 4th round. I'm not going to google but I would imagine if you substituted 95% of the players from last years 4th round into the equation (____________ for Branch) most people would OK with it.

But you make a great point about the front office (DeVaney) on the issue.

It doesn't matter what I think it's what he thinks.

He didn't make the deal and I trust him that it is not in his plan.

However if he had made the deal I still would have trusted him that he thought Branch was better than any of the 4th round talent next year.

Not you.... but too many posters keep challenging every single decision he makes or doesn't make and I don't get it. He has a pretty good track record on picking and finding talent. I think he has earned some latitude.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Because we do a middling to poor job of actually extracting that potential?

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

no thanks, why all the interest in Branch? SEriosuly some of these posters have lost it. Branch is a mediocre receiver, well past his prime and who would likely make little impact on this team. What does Branch get us 1 more win?

I think the same posters who wanted Branch are the same ones who really thought we were playoff contenders. Even if we were to make the playoffs we'd get knocked off in the first round. You don't trade mid round draft picks for someone like Deion Branch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    I guess I think Gilyard is an unusually talented player to have been gotten in the 4th round. I'm not going to google but I would imagine if you substituted 95% of the players from last years 4th round into the equation (____________ for Branch) most people would OK with it.

But you make a great point about the front office (DeVaney) on the issue.

It doesn't matter what I think it's what he thinks.

He didn't make the deal and I trust him that it is not in his plan.

However if he had made the deal I still would have trusted him that he thought Branch was better than any of the 4th round talent next year.

Not you.... but too many posters keep challenging every single decision he makes or doesn't make and I don't get it. He has a pretty good track record on picking and finding talent. I think he has earned some latitude.
    Mike Williams was also drafted in the fourth round this year and I'd take him over branch or Gilyard. There are tons of talented players taken in the fourth round. I honestly can't believe that posters are honestly entertaining this idea. I guess more people think we are actually contenders than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Because we do a middling to poor job of actually extracting that potential?
    5 games, Peoria.

He's 5 games into his career.

1980RAMS is offline Registered User

With the Hawk/Pats deal sending Branch back east for a 4th round pick, there's been some discussions of "why not us?", "why couldn't we have traded a 4th for Branch?"

Nevermind that the Pats make the deal because of Branch's familiarity with their system and culture.

Nevermind that the Hawks would not work a deal with a division rival.

Aside from that, this deal would be the same of swapping Branch for Gilyard. Who among us would be willing to swap Branch for Gilyard? I would not.

Gilyard... is garbage...he is not going to amount to anything.. i would give him up in a second for Branch...

maybe a 1/2 a second....

GO RAMS

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Lets not get the people who want to trade for a wr confused with people who want to trade for Deion Branch.

Deion Branch is on the downside of his career.

A wide receiver that I would want would have to entering his prime, or right on the cusp.

I just wish A.J. Smith would realize he is not going to get better than a couple third round picks for VJ.

See what I did there?

Everything can be turned into a Vincent Jackson thread!

I have no problem with trading for Jackson. He's worth a second and a fourth imo and he's a guy who will be a top receiver for years to come.

I just don't understand the lover for Branch. He hasn't produced in years and yet posters are acting like he'd solve our wr woes. Branch hasn't broken 1,000 yards in his entire career and hasn't broken 7 yards in the last 4 years. We aren't missing out on much with Branch.

I guess the attitude of a lot of these posters can be gleamed by the guy who called Gilyard a bust after 5 games.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast