Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Roy G. Biv is offline Registered User

Re: Deon Branch for Mardy Gilyard

Quote Originally Posted by 1980RAMS View Post
    Gilyard... is garbage...he is not going to amount to anything.. i would give him up in a second for Branch...

maybe a 1/2 a second....

GO RAMS
    One day soon a General Manager position will be open in Seattle, San Fran, and/or Phoenix. I pray to God that you will apply.

"I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    5 games, Peoria.

He's 5 games into his career.
    I was speaking in more of a meta sense than Gilyard.

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    I have no problem with trading for Jackson. He's worth a second and a fourth imo and he's a guy who will be a top receiver for years to come.

I just don't understand the lover for Branch. He hasn't produced in years and yet posters are acting like he'd solve our wr woes. Branch hasn't broken 1,000 yards in his entire career and hasn't broken 7 yards in the last 4 years. We aren't missing out on much with Branch.

I guess the attitude of a lot of these posters can be gleamed by the guy who called Gilyard a bust after 5 games.
    We (or at least I) don't want Branch specifically. We are simply using the trade as an example of "hey, we can get a veteran wideout for something as cheap as a 4th rounder, we should do this."

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    I was speaking in more of a meta sense than Gilyard.
    A meta sense? You mean players from the Oromia region of Ethiopia? I'm kidding.

Ok, in an extended view of the 4th round pick, I could see where in the regime of accountants (no offense Tx) and lawyers (no offense GC & AV) those picks didn't amount to much (no offense Clifton Ryan, Madison Hedgecock, & Scott Shanle). However, DeSpags has landed this team several contributors with those picks......Vobora, King, Scott, Selvie, Sims, Uh-Oh, and yes, Gilyard.

It's just not a good idea to trade away a pick that has shown to deliver (in the DeSpags regime) good value for an aging #3 receiver that will be gone within a year or two.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    We (or at least I) don't want Branch specifically. We are simply using the trade as an example of "hey, we can get a veteran wideout for something as cheap as a 4th rounder, we should do this."
    But the kind of veteran wideout to be had for a 4th rounder would be a Branch-type receiver; an aging #3.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Torry Holt is offline Registered User

WRs coming from college need time to play well in NFL, Gilyard missed precious time this summer due to his school semester. He will improve during the year with more playing time.
    Si vous croyez en vous, que vous avez de la fierté, et que vous ne lâchez jamais, vous serez un gagnant.
    Le prix de la victoire est chère, mais la récompense en vaut la peine.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    There are tons of talented players taken in the fourth round.
    Gilyard and Williams do not a ton make.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    True. I'm guessing combined they go about 360-370, which still puts us at least 1,400 pounds shy of a ton.

What? Too literal?

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Cliff Ryan would like to speak with you about this in the parking lot.
    at the moment, anyone with a flashlight and a beatbox could put Cliffy down for a while...

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    A meta sense? You mean players from the Oromia region of Ethiopia? I'm kidding.

Ok, in an extended view of the 4th round pick, I could see where in the regime of accountants (no offense Tx) and lawyers (no offense GC & AV) those picks didn't amount to much (no offense Clifton Ryan, Madison Hedgecock, & Scott Shanle). However, DeSpags has landed this team several contributors with those picks......Vobora, King, Scott, Selvie, Sims, Uh-Oh, and yes, Gilyard.

It's just not a good idea to trade away a pick that has shown to deliver (in the DeSpags regime) good value for an aging #3 receiver that will be gone within a year or two.
    Define value. Yes those players do things for us, but most of the time that's for lack of anything better.

We didn't trade for him, but Fred Robbins, for example, was signed as a year or two bandaid at a position of need and has worked out fine for that period. Why is it so bad to do so with a wideout.

And no, the 4th hasn't exactly delivered. I still consider Scott to be a question mark, King is made of plywood and since we keep drafting corners in the mid rounds obviously the front office doesn't feel comfortable with him, and Gilyard has either been mishandled thus far or has pronounced difficulties in adjusting to the NFL.

Incidentally, I'd suggest this team has gotten more "value" at wideout by trading picks for wideouts under the regime than actually drafting the wideout, so perhaps we should continue to do so.

Fred Robbins, for example, was signed as a year or two bandaid at a position of need and has worked out fine
    I absolutely agree, Peoria. Robbins, with whom Spags was comfortable and had experience, has been a great addition; and didn't cost us a draft pick. If there's a free agent out there (or a tradeable player, for that matter) that Spags KNOWS is worth the shot, then absolutely the front office should pull the trigger.

But from what I can see (and the front office's inaction seems to confirm this), there's nothing out there that fits the bill.

supachump is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    at the moment, anyone with a flashlight and a beatbox could put Cliffy down for a while...
    hah! I doubt most people got that on the first read. But hey, I thought it was funny.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    obviously not but you can get great value with a fourth and a great wide receiver. If we had our gm an coach of 2 years ago I'd say trade the pick but Devaney has done a very good job drafting.

Really it just makes no sense to trade a decent pick for a guy who will make little impact. Branch isn't going to save our season, he's not going to stabilize our receiving corps and knowing him he'll probably get injured anyways.

I really don't even understand the argument to trade for him. I'd rather see Gibson, Gilyard and Robinson get the reps to see if we have something in them.

I get the feeling that the people who want a trade think this team is something it's not. It's a young team, with a lot more talent than in previous years but we aren't a serious contender. I'm happy watching the young players grow this year, getting an impact receiver in the draft(Michael Floyd would be nice, he's big, fast and sure handed), resigning Clayton to compete with Avery for the #2 spot and watching next years team seriously contend.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Based on Despags drafting success so far I wouldn't trade Gilyard for Branch. Gilyard needs some time to mature into an NFL player and that will only come with time and game experience. We are not Superbowl contenders this season probably not even playoff contenders to be honest with you. So we have time on our side. Give the kid a fair chance to see what he's got.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

First let me clarify two things.

1) I'm not a huge Branch fan but I think he, or someone like him, brings something to the team we need and I will expand upon that in a second.

2) No one, even the original poster is talking about trading Gilyard. They are just using him to illustrate what a fourth round is worth. I think Gilyard was worth more than a fourth round and we just got lucky he fell.

Back to #1

I am all about the youth movement and rebuilding. I have stated many times I think DeSpags should be given 4 or 5 years to effectively turn this ship around.

That being said I can see value now in someone like Branch.... and Clayton is the reason why.

Mark Clayton was not a superstar or great but he quickly became a key to our success. I've had to ask myself why?

I think it is because experience teaches even the non stellar players consistence. When they run a route they run it to a tee and the do it over and over again. It's a safety net so to speak for someone like Bradford. Clayton may not always be open but when Bradford needs him he is always in the right spot. This is how a Clayton can go from a #3 to a #1 basically overnight.

While I have never been a big fan of the whole "mentor" philosophy I do think Clayton helped elevate Amendola and Gilyard even if it was just by example.

So while I look forward to seeing Gilyard and Gibson grow. While I want Robinson to get to full strength. While I eagerly await a healthy Avery and for the team to resign Clayton.... I don't think spending one 4th round to bring that experience in is a complete waste.

But I also trust DeSpags' ability to evaluate talent. If they don't pull the trigger on the trade I will believe it is for the best of the team and not some stupid notion that they are giving up on the season.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast