Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 42 of 42
  1. #31
    Varg6's Avatar
    Varg6 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,593
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: Deon Branch for Mardy Gilyard

    Why is everyone acting like Branch is all of a sudden such a hot commodity simply because he was traded? He hasn't done anything, really. And to trade Gilyard, who may or may not become a good player, makes no sense. We know what we'd get with Branch. I don't like trades that may wind up biting us in the ass in the long run; and this is a recipe for disaster...



    Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

  2. #32
    berg8309's Avatar
    berg8309 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,853
    Rep Power
    41

    Re: Deon Branch for Mardy Gilyard

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrissyEverett View Post
    We need this guy bad, get it done Devaney.

    I don't think we need Marlin Jackson that badly.

  3. #33
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    18,908
    Rep Power
    147

    Re: Deon Branch for Mardy Gilyard

    Look, I agree that the Rams should not be entertaining the thought of trading a fourth round pick for a receiver like Deion Branch. That's highway robbery by the Seahawks, IMO.

    But this notion that the Rams shouldn't trade these picks away because of their proven ability to find talent, specifically at receiver, in the mid to late rounds is a bit puzzling to me. Devaney was brought in to help run the 2008 draft, and spent a fourth round pick on Keenan Burton... who is no longer here. In 2009, the DeSpags combo spent a fifth round pick on Brooks Foster... who is no longer here. Now they've spent a fourth round pick on Gilyard, whose best fit may be the slot position that Danny Amendola seemingly has locked down.

    It's way too early to write Gilyard off, but the point I'm trying to make is that the Rams, even the present regime, haven't exactly proven themselves to be such draft masterminds with mid to late round picks that they simply can't part with them in a trade, should something come along. For every Gilyard, Hoomanawanui, Onobun, Sims, or Selvie, there is a Davis, Johnson, Hull, Foster, Null, and Ogbonnaya.

    Now, is there a Larry Fitzgerald or Roddy White sitting out there for a fourth round pick? Of course not, but it's not all Deion Branch's either. This team traded less than a fourth round pick for Laurent Robinson, Brandon Gibson, and Mark Clayton, who have all shown flashes of ability on this team. We as Rams fans should know that it's very possible to get more than a Deion Branch for these kinds of picks.

    I'm not concerned that the Rams decided to pass on Deion Branch, but I would like to see a more aggressive approach to trades by this organization. The Jets were aggressive in 2009 when they leapfrogged the Rams to take Shonn Greene in the third round, and the Lions were aggressive in 2010 when they leapfrogged the Rams to take Jahvid Best. The Rams still ended up with fine prospects (Fletcher and Saffold, respectively) but it would be nice to see the Rams willing to make an aggressive move to go out and get an impact player or prospect, too.

  4. #34
    ludairv's Avatar
    ludairv is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    277
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Deon Branch for Mardy Gilyard

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Look, I agree that the Rams should not be entertaining the thought of trading a fourth round pick for a receiver like Deion Branch. That's highway robbery by the Seahawks, IMO.

    But this notion that the Rams shouldn't trade these picks away because of their proven ability to find talent, specifically at receiver, in the mid to late rounds is a bit puzzling to me. Devaney was brought in to help run the 2008 draft, and spent a fourth round pick on Keenan Burton... who is no longer here. In 2009, the DeSpags combo spent a fifth round pick on Brooks Foster... who is no longer here. Now they've spent a fourth round pick on Gilyard, whose best fit may be the slot position that Danny Amendola seemingly has locked down.

    It's way too early to write Gilyard off, but the point I'm trying to make is that the Rams, even the present regime, haven't exactly proven themselves to be such draft masterminds with mid to late round picks that they simply can't part with them in a trade, should something come along. For every Gilyard, Hoomanawanui, Onobun, Sims, or Selvie, there is a Davis, Johnson, Hull, Foster, Null, and Ogbonnaya.

    Now, is there a Larry Fitzgerald or Roddy White sitting out there for a fourth round pick? Of course not, but it's not all Deion Branch's either. This team traded less than a fourth round pick for Laurent Robinson, Brandon Gibson, and Mark Clayton, who have all shown flashes of ability on this team. We as Rams fans should know that it's very possible to get more than a Deion Branch for these kinds of picks.

    I'm not concerned that the Rams decided to pass on Deion Branch, but I would like to see a more aggressive approach to trades by this organization. The Jets were aggressive in 2009 when they leapfrogged the Rams to take Shonn Greene in the third round, and the Lions were aggressive in 2010 when they leapfrogged the Rams to take Jahvid Best. The Rams still ended up with fine prospects (Fletcher and Saffold, respectively) but it would be nice to see the Rams willing to make an aggressive move to go out and get an impact player or prospect, too.
    amen to that... the risk is worth the reward...they jumpped up and got their guy regardless of what picks they lost

  5. #35
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,295
    Rep Power
    142

    Re: Deon Branch for Mardy Gilyard

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    the point I'm trying to make is that the Rams, even the present regime, haven't exactly proven themselves to be such draft masterminds with mid to late round picks that they simply can't part with them in a trade, should something come along.
    Nick, I don't know that anyone is arguing the hoarding of mid to late round picks. My argument for this thread is that Deion Branch is not worth the high 4th round pick we'd have to give up. It sounds like we agree on that point.

    What frustrates me is the cavalier notion by some fans that the front office should just go "do something"; "trade some pick"; "get a guy"; "sign somebody", etc. Fans that look at the Patriots giving up a 4th for Branch, and think, "Gosh, I wish the Rams would do that." are making me crazy. That would be a horrible deal for the Rams.

    A 6th for Clayton and a 7th? Great deal.
    A 4th for Branch? Not a good deal.

    A front office that jumps on the first thing that moves and willing to give up high picks for it will not build a dynastic franchise.

    My point is just that.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  6. #36
    1980RAMS's Avatar
    1980RAMS is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    186
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Deon Branch for Mardy Gilyard

    Quote Originally Posted by Roy G. Biv View Post
    One day soon a General Manager position will be open in Seattle, San Fran, and/or Phoenix. I pray to God that you will apply.


    If I was the GM I would have won more ran 2 freaking games in the last 2 yrs. All those teams you mentioned have done a heck of a lot better than us over the last 4 yrs. Are rams fans this dillushional ?.... I hope not...

    Sorry if I see a moment in the rams season that is vital to pick up a WR or the rest of our season will be a blunder.

    San Diego will crush us if we don't have a key playmaking WR ..... Crush us

    GO RAMS

  7. #37
    berg8309's Avatar
    berg8309 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,853
    Rep Power
    41

    Re: Deon Branch for Mardy Gilyard

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMayor View Post
    Silly goose, he means Vincent Jackson.

    Although I'd take Marlin too.
    So the funny part is that, despite it being right in front of my face, I did not make the connection that they had the same last name.

  8. #38
    peramoure is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    236
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Deon Branch for Mardy Gilyard

    Consider that the Pats traded RANDY FREAKING MOSS for a third round, and then went and traded a 4th round for Deion Branch.

    So the Pats received: A 3rd Round Pick and Deion Branch.
    Everyone else received: A 4th round pick and Randy Moss.

    Does this seem like a fair trade to people? There are too many threads on this board scoffing as if Deion Branch is the answer. Has this guy done ANYTHING for the Seahawks? I mean really? When I heard about this on Monday night I IMMEDIATELY texted my buddy "a 4th round for BRANCH? Seriously?" What a joke!

    Branch is not going to come in here and turn everything around - he is average at best, paid WAY beyond his talents, and hasn't done anything worth writing about in the past 3 years. I'd rather trot out our current WR core than bring in an overhyped highly paid Seahawk who hasn't done anything since being MVP in the Superbowl.

    I'm done. Stop reacting to this garbage. A 4th round pick is worth more than Deion Effing Branch.

  9. #39
    Roy G. Biv's Avatar
    Roy G. Biv is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Modern Day Dead Ráibéad
    Age
    41
    Posts
    251
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Deon Branch for Mardy Gilyard

    Quote Originally Posted by 1980RAMS View Post
    If I was the GM I would have won more ran 2 freaking games in the last 2 yrs. ..... Are rams fans this dillushional ?...
    A question answered.
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

  10. #40
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    18,908
    Rep Power
    147

    Re: Deon Branch for Mardy Gilyard

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Nick, I don't know that anyone is arguing the hoarding of mid to late round picks. My argument for this thread is that Deion Branch is not worth the high 4th round pick we'd have to give up. It sounds like we agree on that point.

    What frustrates me is the cavalier notion by some fans that the front office should just go "do something"; "trade some pick"; "get a guy"; "sign somebody", etc. Fans that look at the Patriots giving up a 4th for Branch, and think, "Gosh, I wish the Rams would do that." are making me crazy. That would be a horrible deal for the Rams.
    I agree it would have been a bad move for the Rams because you're talking about a player with minimal upside. I would respond by saying I think that frustration from some fans who want the front office to do something stems less from a desire to have Deion Branch specifically but moreso in seeing other teams make moves while the Rams generally seem to sit pat and aren't particularly aggressive in the personnel department.

    When you see, for instance, the Eagles trade Mike Bell to the Browns for Jerome Harrison like they did today, and then look at the depth in the Rams' backfield and their failure to add anyone to that group through the entire offseason, I can understand why some fans are frustrated at our front office's passive-at-times appearance. I'm not necessarily saying I think the Rams should have traded for either of those guys, but I'm simply saying that seeing other teams in this league go out and make moves to try to address weak areas probably makes it more challenging for some fans who wish the Rams would do the same.

  11. #41
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,295
    Rep Power
    142

    Re: Deon Branch for Mardy Gilyard

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I agree it would have been a bad move for the Rams because you're talking about a player with minimal upside. I would respond by saying I think that frustration from some fans who want the front office to do something stems less from a desire to have Deion Branch specifically but moreso in seeing other teams make moves while the Rams generally seem to sit pat and aren't particularly aggressive in the personnel department.

    When you see, for instance, the Eagles trade Mike Bell to the Browns for Jerome Harrison like they did today, and then look at the depth in the Rams' backfield and their failure to add anyone to that group through the entire offseason, I can understand why some fans are frustrated at our front office's passive-at-times appearance. I'm not necessarily saying I think the Rams should have traded for either of those guys, but I'm simply saying that seeing other teams in this league go out and make moves to try to address weak areas probably makes it more challenging for some fans who wish the Rams would do the same.
    And that's an understandable frustration, Nick. I just wish the fans who see a franchise saviour in every Branch and Bell would take a step back and realize the Rams' inaction may have less to do with Devaney's timidity or Kroenke's purse-strings as it has to do with a lack of available players that would be a long-term fit to this franchise.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  12. #42
    berg8309's Avatar
    berg8309 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,853
    Rep Power
    41

    Re: Deon Branch for Mardy Gilyard

    Indeed sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make. Players have to be the right fit at the right price. I pay a lot of attention to the NHL, which has substantially more trading. GMs often make "panic" trades or "change of pace" trades with sometimes incredibly disastrous results. The Garth Butcher trade comes to mind. I mean, the Blues NEEDED a defensman, right?

    Pulling the trigger for the sake of pulling the trigger usually leads teams to the bottom of the standings, not the division title.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Gilyard, Gibson push for playing time ..
    By MauiRam in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: -09-23-2010, 09:15 PM
  2. Gilyard Playing Catch Up
    By r8rh8rmike in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -06-11-2010, 01:24 PM
  3. Gilyard Shows Perseverance
    By r8rh8rmike in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: -05-01-2010, 09:07 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: -04-27-2010, 08:14 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •