DaRams is offline Registered User

Depth chart at a glance

Does anyone know what the current depth chart looks like as of yet? With butler coming in, is he and bartell the first string at that position or is it jonathan wade and bartell? I guess it would be hard to answere considering we havnt done the draft and I am sure everyone will have to fight for the spot but just some general prospect of what you all think will happen.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: Depth chart at a glance

As of right now the defensive and offensive starters look like this

Defense
    LE- Little
    NT- Ryan
    UT- Carriker
    RE- Long
    SLB-Pisa
    MLB- Draft
    WLB- Spoon
    CB- Bartell
    CB- Hill
    SS- Butler
    FS- OJ

Offense
    QB- Bulger
    LT- Barron
    LG- Bell
    C- Brown
    RG- Cogs
    RT- Goldberg
    TE- McMichael
    FB- Karney
    RB- Jackson
    WR1- Avery
    WR2- Burton

schut39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    As of right now the defensive and offensive starters look like this

Defense
    LE- Little
    NT- Ryan
    UT- Carriker
    RE- Long
    SLB-Pisa
    MLB- Draft
    WLB- Spoon
    CB- Bartell
    CB- Hill
    SS- Butler
    FS- OJ

Offense
    QB- Bulger
    LT- Barron
    LG- Bell
    C- Brown
    RG- Cogs
    RT- Goldberg
    TE- McMichael
    FB- Karney
    RB- Jackson
    WR1- Avery
    WR2- Burton
    We are really trying Pisa at Strong side? Interesting.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by schut39 View Post
    We are really trying Pisa at Strong side? Interesting.
    I think Spags was saying his linebackers are more "left linebacker" and "right linebacker". Not really sure the difference between that and SAM and WILL, but apparently left LB and right LB have similar roles unlike the latter. But as far as I'm concerned the LB that lines up on the TE will still have to be able to take on blocks no matter what their title is. I guess Spags thinks if you can't take on blocks then you shouldn't be in the NFL.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

That's a weak D line. I hate looking at our depth chart, it depresses me.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

well i wouldn't go and say it's weak.... i would say it's... hmmmm. tricky.

what's the antonym for "stout"?

A-Web is offline Registered User

Why does this D-Line look weak? You do not feel good about Carriker and Long? Because Leo Little has absolutely every bit of respect I can give him, and the two youngsters are always showing improvement, and Long's effort level is sky high. So aside from this, the only gap I can see there being any delay in complimenting is Ryan, and he has had some decent and solid play. He isn't the impact guy, but all he needs to do is bust up the front middle and run stop.

I think Carriker is out of position and Little has lost a step. Ryan is still unproven so that line only has Long on it as far as I am concerned.

I wouldn't quite agree that Carriker is out of position, as much as that maybe he needs some grooming and tailoring. Little has shown as much production as can be expected out of a miserable defense, and is vital in the development of both Carriker and Long. Unproven doesn't translate to bad or weak, as much as...unproven. Obviously we're not saying "bust" or terrible or weak or pathetic, just unproven. Which would mean give it time and coaching. As for saying Long is all that's there, I would ask, in an unbias manner, because I like Long in the front line, What did he do last year to make you so confident about him and not any of the others? What separates him from the others in your opinion of "weak".

Just to paint a picture of your ideal front line. I don't think we have much in terms of Pro-bowlers, but I would prefer we get that in the secondary and Linebackers on defense. I just want a stud front line that can take the first step or two out of a rushing attack. The game is played in the trenches, but the passing game is what moves the chains more often than not.

Well, I don't think the Rams are very good at stopping the run as they were ranked 29th last year. It begins with the D line stuffing the hole and I just don't think the D line did a good job of that last year. Coaching may make them better but how much is yet to be determined.

I agree with TX except for Carriker. I think that Long and Carriker are going to see the biggest jumps in production in this new scheme.

Something interesting Spags might do is use Carriker how he would have used Chris Canty in NY if he stayed. Carriker and Canty are both 3-4 ends in a 4-3. He could use Carriker at LE on run downs and then move him inside on passing downs and put Little in at LE. That may be verry interesting, but if we did that we would have to add a guy like Ron Brace or Evander Hood. We could do something like this

Run downs
    LE- Carrikker
    UT- Ryan
    NT- Brace
    RE- Long

Passing downs
    LE- Little
    UT- Carriker
    NT- Ryan
    RE- Long

And you also have Hall and Adenyanju to rotate in some possible 3 DE sets. I think our current D-line offers alot of versatility to Spags, but we need to add some more DT help.

Now if you are looking at situational play as you state, do you vouch to use a higher pick? Or try to get a player who can play, but needs to be developed and tailored for that fit? As it appears you are looking at Long and Carriker being every down players, and Little becoming an on-off guy at that point. I would think you would be looking at removing Ryan from the field, because for now, I still believe Little is the heart and anchor on that line, until some other leader emerges. Ryan is the one who seems to have not opened up into his potential at this point, and until then, I think that's the link you can shift in and out.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Web View Post
    Now if you are looking at situational play as you state, do you vouch to use a higher pick? Or try to get a player who can play, but needs to be developed and tailored for that fit? As it appears you are looking at Long and Carriker being every down players, and Little becoming an on-off guy at that point. I would think you would be looking at removing Ryan from the field, because for now, I still believe Little is the heart and anchor on that line, until some other leader emerges. Ryan is the one who seems to have not opened up into his potential at this point, and until then, I think that's the link you can shift in and out.
    It is no Longer Little's line IMO its Chris Long's. The past 2 years as an every down player Little has gotten banged up and he has been a liability against the run.