helorm341 is offline Registered User

An in-depth look at the CVC proposal/lease

I took a look through the 64 page document and this is what I learned. I couldn't copy/paste from the PDF so I had to re-type this crap out. I didn't change any of the wording and the meaning has not changed, although any typos are probably mine! I did change the word "stadia" to "stadium". Stadia sounds a little uppity... :lol: Any of my own words will be in italics. These is liberal trimming down of excess language, but the general meaning and important info is always there. As we all learned in high school English, if you see a "..." it means that something has been trimmed. Although if I skip whole paragraphs you won't see a ...

The "first tier" requirements consist of only the following things listed:

1. (exclusive of quantity) box suites and suite concourses
    2. (exclusive of quantity) club seats, club lounge and club concourses
    3. (exclusive of quantity) stadium seating
    4. The stadium and playing field lighting and sound and communication systems

The first four things were the things that were taken care of in the 2005 first measuring date. Only those four things were included in 2005

5. Stadium scoreboard, computer systems, video boards, video systems and other communications media

6. Advertising infra-structure in, on and around the facilities, including exterior marquees as defined in annex 2 (I can't locate annex two so I don't have further info on that)

7. Concession facilities and equipment and service and preparation areas

8. Common areas, enterences, lavatories, public safety, fire alarm and protection areas, security services, signage, facilities and equipment.

9. Facilities support equipment (including turnstiles, maintenance equipment) Facilities vertical transportation (including event patron elevators, service elevators, VIP elevators, escalators, ramps) mechanical, electrical, plumbing, HVAC and related equipment and system

10. NFL Franchise football-related team facilities (including locker rooms, coaches room)

11. The playing field as defined in section 3.4.1 (can't find more info on that)

12. Facilities management including NFL game day preparation and NFL game day services and personnel

13. Maintenance of the facilities.

2005 upgrades:

Two new Daktronics end zone scoreboard
    Ribbon boards circling the bowl - LED technology
    Three new exterior marquees
    Addition of the high-end Clarkson Jewelers club
    Renovations and seating additions to the St Louis Rams Club
    Addition of a sports bar for all patrons called the Bud Light Zone
    Addition of an all-inclusive food and beverage suite known as The Legends
    The addition of field seats at north/south end zone
    The addition of natural light to the bowl
    Lighter paint within the bowl
    Upgrading Point of Sale system
    Renovations to Rams and Visiting Team locker room
    HD TV's throughout

Before addressing the specifics of the CVC's preliminary paln, there is an important limitation that must be raised.

The Amended Lease provides that "it is also acknowledged that the determination of whether or not this First Tier standard has been met shall not include a comparison to an item in such stadium if such item is generally provided for in the stadium by NFL franchisees at the sole cost and expense of the NFL franchisees.

The language limits the CVC's obligation for new construction or renovations to the extent the items included in those improvement are generally paid for by the NFL franchisee in other stadiums. CVC has researched the franchisees' contributions to the new stadium built and/or stadium significantly renovated since the last measuring date in 2005. The data indicates that NFL franchisees have been solely responsible for generally providing (on average) fifty-two percent (52%) of the costs and expense of teh items included in these stadium projects. Therefore, CVC is only obligated under the Amended Lease to undertake and/or provide funding for forty-eight (48%) of the improvements in the first-tier proposal that follows
    Component 1.1.1 (a)

(exclusive of quantity) Box Suites, Suite Concourses and related amenities

Under the lease, the CVC has no obligation to add any box suites as part of the first-tier process other than the suites that could ahve been added in the formerly vacant north end zone space. As part of the 2007 improvements... the Rams chose to build out the north end zone space for the Bud Light Patry zone, waiving any right to request additional suites in that area.

CVC has determined that the quality of the suite and suite corridors in the building should be enhanced in order to meet the first-tier standard...CVC has determined that the level of finish, quality and enhancements should be greater on the lower all-suite level compared to the suites at club level... CVC proposes that the Rams suite buyers be given an option as to style by offering two different types of design on the different levels... Common area lavatories will be remodeled on both level.
    Component 1.1.1 (b)

(exclusive of quantity) club seats, club lounge, club concourses and related amenities

...CVC is proposing the conversion of a portion of those designated seats to bring the Dome into compliance with the F-T standard. The designated club seat area of the east side of the dome will be converted from regular stadium seating to club seating, adding 1,500 club seats. CVC is proposing to replace the four suites that will be lost in the conversion... by adding suite 206 as one of them.

They go on to say that the huge Legend Suite the Rams requested in 2007 could be re-converted back into four smaller suites if the Rams want. Also three new stuies can be built out of the area serving as the entrance hallway to the Bud Light Patry Zone.

The new club seats will become part of an exciting contemporary club experience, with the addition of a new 50,000 sq. ft. building referred to herein as the Baer Plaza addition... All club level guests will be able to enter the facility through a new club entrance in Baer Plaza. This new building will improve the club experience and enhance the facility as a whole. It will provide a premium entrance for the Rams' highest dollar customers and will be outfitted with club lounge space, a technology area currently dubbed "Geek Suite" and an open air deck for a rooftop beer garden. The Geek Suite will be outfitted with Wi-Fi connections and an abundance of HD flat screen monitors and is intended to be a location for suite/club customers who want to stay connected to Fantasy Football... This space would be similar to a high-end technology store like an Apple store in fit and finish.

The development of Baer Plaza will function as a gateway to the stadium, offering the Rams premium seat fans a new front door experience. The bridge connects to the stadium at the suite and club level(s).

Component 1.1.1 (c) Stadium Seating

The seating type, width, depth of rows, etc. are all standardized and meet the first-teir standard.

Component 1.1.1 (d) Stadium and playing field lighting and sound and communication systems

CVC is proposing improvements to concourse, sideline clubs and suite levels lighting...

Ambient Lighting
    ... The bowl can be further enlivened through the introduction of clerestory natural light with blackout capability using operable shades. The glazed panels would introduce lights from two ends or sides of the Dome

Sound
    ... We will replace the Center cluster, the bowl distributed EAW system and the corridor speakers on all levels to improve sound quality. In addition, acoustical panels will make greater bandwidth possible. Additional acoustic materials will be installed....

Communications
    The broadcast system will be upgraded with fiber optic cable to be state of the art for all NFL broadcast needs. The inhouse video production system was replaced with an HD system in 2009.

Component 1.1.1 (e) Stadium scoreboards, Computer Systems, Videoboards, Video Systems and Other Communication Media

... CVC is now proposing the addition of a center hung scoreboard, approximately 96' wide and 37' high, which will require the addition of structural steel... This scoreboard will be comparable in size to the scoreboards installed in newer facilities...
    I love the sound of that scoreboard...

Component 1.1.1 (f) Advertising infrastructure In, On and Around the facility including exterior marquees as defined in annex 2

... CVC is proposing to replace the vomitory (vomitory???) and sponsor signage on the concourses, which are currently backlit boxes, with flat screen monitors to provide great sponsor activation and guest experience. These will create a more contemporary look and will allow the Rams to rotate advertising message is they choose instead of limited the advertising revenue for each location to one advertiser.

Component 1.1.1 (g) Concession facilities and equipment and service and preparation areas

... CVC is now proposing to update the concession fronts to present a more professional look and potentially invite the additional spending through more cooking options. Important, we also propose to remodel the Dome kitchen and add a significant amount of equipment for cooking and cold storage and add to and upgrade the equipment in the Rams Club kitchen.

Though not necessarily a first-tier requirement, CVC is proposing an exciting new idea for the DOme as part of this process that will enhance the facility as a whole. We are proposing the conversion of the courtyard between the convention center and the Dome into a flexible pre-game fan destination for pre-game concerts, food and beverages sales and exciting fan entertainment offerings. This can facilitate earlier ingress into the Dome and reduce congestion created by new NFL Security requirements... It will also generate additional food and beverage sales and create a "friends" fathering place for pre-game activity.

Component 1.1.1 (h) Common Area, entrances, lavatories (including without limitation concourses other than the Suite and Club level concourses, hallway lighting, first aid stations and related event patron amenities), Public Safety, Fire and Alarm and protection areas and security service, signage facilities and equipment.

CVC is proposing to enhance the concourses and communal public areas through a new cohesive branding approach that introduces engaging sponsor environments at key public entry points, team pageantry, a fresh approach to concessions and wayfinding graphics and general upgrade to lighting and finishes.

We will also create a heightened first impression for fans at key building entry points, improve security and circulation flow.

... To eliminate the congestion and create a safer environment in which to queue and enter the building, we propose installing retractable bollards at three points in the roadway...

Adding lighting and upgraded finishes will create a brighter and more colorful atmosphere and potentially create fan gathering zone.... In addition the lavatories will receive upgrades to finishes...

... As part of the F-T process, CVC will overhaul the analog platform security system to an IP driven system with flat screen monitors, digital record, multiplexers and a mix of HD cameras.

Component 1.1.1 (i) Facilities support of equipment (including without limitation turnstiles, maintenance equipment), Facilities vertical transportation (including with limitation event patron elevators, service elevators, VIP elevators, escalators, ramps) mechanical, electrical, plumbing, HVAC and related equipment and systems.

I'll just give a synopsis here:

The CVC says they have upgraded all the escalators "recently" and are/will be responsible for all maintainace for them and that they should last for 30 years without overhaul.

The CVC says that basically there are two food service companies in the Dome and that in some areas, there is an overlap of responsibilities/spaces. The CVC basically says that this is the Rams problem for hiring two food service companies.

They say the Baer Plaza proposal along with other things will adequately update everything as per ADA guidelines.

The CVC says that the HVAC, plumbing (and related), electrical and other things have been evaluated and been determined to be in good working condition with one exception: hot water systems improvements which are included in the proposal.
    Component 1.1.1 (j) NFL Franchise football-related team facilities (including without limitation locker room and training rooms)

Another synopsis, mostly for clarity:

The CVC says that in 2010 they switched the location of the Rams locker room and visiting locker room at the Rams request. They also renovated both facilities at the Rams request. They list the upgrades buy say that "the Visiting locker room received upgrades as well, but to a lesser extent" (dont think the Rams mind that a whole lot). They say they bought a new x-ray machine. Upgrades are necessary and will be included to: auxiliary locker rooms used for cheerleaders and game day officials.

They also propose 'surface applied graphic wall treatments to transform the routine nature of the service corridor and greatly elevate the play pathway leading from the newly renovated Rams locker room to the playing field'

Component 1.1.1 (k) The playing field as defined in section 3.4.1

In 2010, the CVC installed a $2.5 million state of the art playing field. AstroTurf's innovative Magic Carpet II conversion system, which features it's Game Day 3D Synthetic Turf System, was intalled by the season opener. It is the same turd that the Rams installed at Rams Park. This field more than complies with the first-tier standard, and no improvments are necessary.

The protective netting behined each end zone was replaced in 2011.

Component 1.1.1 (m) The physical structure of the facilities

CVC had determinded that the roof of the Dome needs to be replaced and this work will be done prior to March 2015 as part of the first-tier renovation plan. As the Rams agreement with the EJ for naming rights expire in March 2014, we will work with the Rams in advance of roof replacement to ensure that the proper sponsor recognition is incorporated... in addition the exterior of the dome will receive the following significant improvement:

Dyvit: Clean, apply protective treatments, replace sealant joints
    Pre-cast concrete: clean, apply protective treatments, replace sealant joints
    Brick ares: Replace sealant joints
    Replace the roof? Seems like a big deal that i haven't really seemed mentioned yet.

Component 1.1.1 (n) Facilites management... of the facilities, including with limitation, NFL Game Day preparation and NFL Game Day services and personnel

Basically they say that the poeple in charge of the Dome are more then qualified to do so

Component 1.1.1 (o) Maintenance of the facilites

They say that there is always on-going maintenace. The CVC, RSA, city of St Louis, county of St Louis and the state of Missouri provide funds for this. They say they are in charge of game day maintinance and repairs. The upper bowl of the dome still needs to have the concrete floor re-expoxied to help keep it clean (bottom bowl was just re-done).

They say, that although not required, they are putting the following press box stuff in the proposal: "aesthetic renovations... upgrade the current spaces and convert the makeshift auxilary press area into a permanent first-class quality space...."

helorm341 is offline Registered User

Re: An in-depth look at the CVC proposal/lease

I've also got a post going for the lease, I'm through the first few hundred pages of it but will wait to post it until later. Admittedly biased, but certainly trying to be objective, I think the CVC has submitted a great first proposal. I imagine they still have something up their sleeves, as this is a negotiation and you don't put all your cards on the table right away.

I don't think that the CVC quite gave the Rams the keys to the kingdom as the media would like you to believe when the only thing most of them have read is "first-tier."

I know the post is probably too long for many but I tried to get the important and pertinent information out there.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Re: An in-depth look at the CVC proposal/lease

Quote Originally Posted by helorm341 View Post
    I've also got a post going for the lease, I'm through the first few hundred pages of it but will wait to post it until later. Admittedly biased, but certainly trying to be objective, I think the CVC has submitted a great first proposal. I imagine they still have something up their sleeves, as this is a negotiation and you don't put all your cards on the table right away.

I don't think that the CVC quite gave the Rams the keys to the kingdom as the media would like you to believe when the only thing most of them have read is "first-tier."

I know the post is probably too long for many but I tried to get the important and pertinent information out there.
    Agree with your assessment. nicely done going through it all too btw.