View Poll Results: I'd feel a lot better if the Rams had a better backup at _____.

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Quarterback

5 15.63%
  • Center

5 15.63%
  • Tight End

1 3.13%
  • Running Back

9 28.13%
  • Defensive End

0 0%
  • Defensive Tackle

1 3.13%
  • Middle Linebacker

11 34.38%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: The Depth Poll

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The Depth Poll

There are certain positions for which the Rams may be drafting immediate starters (i.e. OT, OG, WR, OLB, CB, S).

However, its also important to have good depth at spots where the team is already strong.

So...

Which position would you feel better about if the Rams had better backup?

Re: The Depth Poll

For me, it was an easy choice: RB.

The Rams need to be able to withstand an injury to Zac Stacy - even one that takes him out of only a game or two - without having to adjust the offense. While I like Benny Cunningham, I'm not convinced that he is the type of back who can carry the ball 20-25 times/game.

I'd feel a lot better if the Rams had an understudy who could step in should anything happen to Stacy.

My second choice would be QB, though I think that Sean Hill is a capable stop-gap if the Rams are not able to/choose not to draft a guy like Jimmy Garoppolo or A.J. McCarron.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -03-31-2014 at 02:29 PM.
    Randart likes this.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

MLB. JL doesn't get a lot of press, or make a lot of highlight reels, but losing him would be disastrous.
    He's the QB of the D.

Next up, agree RB is a bit thin. I do think Cunningham's for real, but a lot of his last year stats are based on one long run in garbage time. Curious if DR's problem really was his turf-toe, and have no faith in Pead.
    mde8352gorams likes this.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    MLB. JL doesn't get a lot of press, or make a lot of highlight reels, but losing him would be disastrous.
    He's the QB of the D.

Next up, agree RB is a bit thin. I do think Cunningham's for real, but a lot of his last year stats are based on one long run in garbage time. Curious if DR's problem really was his turf-toe, and have no faith in Pead.
    now that you mention it

JL played EVERY.SINGLE.SNAP last year...can't expect that every year

need MLB
    live4ramin likes this.

The point about MLB is well taken, which is why I like guys like Chris Borland and Christian Jones as potential targets for the Rams (guys who could play MLB or SLB).

Mikey is offline Registered User

I selected DT thinking it read OT. We don't have a backup LT, other than Saffold who can't stay healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I selected DT thinking it read OT. We don't have a backup LT, other than Saffold who can't stay healthy.
    OT does not qualify, as we would be drafting a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    OT does not qualify, as we would be drafting a starter.
    The poll states "I would feel a lot better if the Rams had a better backup at ____"
    Our current backups at tackle are the oft injurred Saffold and Mike Person. If we had better backups I'd feel a whole lot better. I realize in your comments you disqualified them but there are Rams fans that insist Barksdale is a good tackle and that Long will be coming back healthy and we don't need to draft a tackle to start. If those fans are right then I would feel a whole lot better with a better backup.

The poll states "I would feel a lot better if the Rams had a better backup at ____"
    Our current backups at tackle are the oft injurred Saffold and Mike Person. If we had better backups I'd feel a whole lot better. I realize in your comments you disqualified them but there are Rams fans that insist Barksdale is a good tackle and that Long will be coming back healthy and we don't need to draft a tackle to start. If those fans are right then I would feel a whole lot better with a better backup.
    It never ceases to amaze me how some people just don't get the concept of a poll.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me how some people just don't get the concept of a poll.
    Oh I get the concept. I said I misread the option. I did this before I read your exclusion of certain positions. You made a statement about me saying I made a mistake. I let you know what I was thinking when I made the mistake and violated your poll. Life will go on for most of us.

Randart is offline Registered User

Good points guys, as many of us are very concerned about depth in these positions...
    I said QB as I found last season to be miserable under KC, my opinion was a very harsh one.
    I have been an advocate that we draft a RB early and one of the bigger better ones in this draft as well.
    I am so used to JL being there at MLB I did not really think much about it till you guys all pointed it out.
    Will be nice to address this later in the draft as well. I have little faith in Hill to be able to carry our team, so I really hope we draft a viable option at QB well before the 4th round so we get a good one. If as expected we trade back a couple times we should be able to get a top level guy in the 2nd or 3rd round. Better to be prepared for the advent of Sammy going down again than to have to count on an aging backup vet to carry us again...

emuen is online now Registered User

I voted for RB. The running game seems to be the key to our success on offense, and Stacy has shown signs that make me question his durability. However, I'm not a big fan of taking RB's high in the draft.

The biggest drop talentwise from starter to backup I believe is at MLB. However, the talent on the defensive side of the ball is better, so the production of the unit might not suffer as much.

At QB our depth is fine. Shaun Hill was a nice signing. I remember Mike Martz calling him the best QB he had ever coach

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

What "no all of the above option"? Actually I am thinking RB. The Rams seem set at TE, have already 2 bookend DEs (most teams just have one--the Rams have 2), acquired a 2nd QB (questionable ability though), just OK at DT for depth, LB core is pretty solid though would be nice to have extra play makers, and am not at all familiar about depth at C (plead ignorance there).

On the books the Rams have RB core, but am not sold on the idea of having a solid number 2. I know in today's NFL its RB by committee, but having a solid second RB that can pickup where Stacy leaves off when taking a breather would be a huge plus as well as fill in should he have to miss a few games.

I don't think the Rams will go for another bruiser RB however. With Fisher's history and having G. Williams DC, I suspect they will be more looking for DLs and LBs that can be rotated in and out. Though I'd love to see an expanded depth at WR position but with Fisher that might be too much to hope for; Britt may or may not prove a good experiment, and in there lies the problem, its an unknown prospect that can't be confident about.

Oh I get the concept. I said I misread the option. I did this before I read your exclusion of certain positions. You made a statement about me saying I made a mistake. I let you know what I was thinking when I made the mistake and violated your poll. Life will go on for most of us.
    But it will never be quite the same. One day, we'll look back and realize... this was the moment when everything changed.
    KoaKoi and FestusRam like this.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Who is our backup Center? I don't know, and Wells isn't that great, so I chose Center. I "feel" better about MLB only because Laurinaitis never gets hurt.

RB is close, but I'm not completely sold on Stacy, and we'd go RB-by-committee if he was ever out, anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast