Cornerback hurt his neck Aug. 29
BY STEVE KORTE
News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS - Cornerback Terry Fair isn't worried about having to make his first tackle since suffering a neck injury that led to him to be carted off the field during the St. Louis Rams' preseason game against the Detroit Lions on Aug. 29.

"I don't really think about it," Fair said. "I know that when I'm out there, it's going to be something that I react on without thinking. I tell you what, I'll be glad when I can go out there and I have to make a tackle. Just get it over with. That means I'm back."

Fair returned to practice on a full-time basis this week, but he's still listed as doubtful on the injury report for the Rams' game against the Tennessee Titans at noon Sunday at the Edward Jones Dome.

"The first step was getting back out here on the field and getting back into football form," Fair said. "We'll just see how it goes from there. I'm tired of watching, and I'm ready to start playing."

Fair originally thought he would be ready to play in the team's season opener against the San Francisco ***** on Sept. 11. Now it looks like he won't get back on the field until next week against the New York Giants.

"You want to rush back, and you want to get back so bad that you don't think about everything," Fair said. "You kind of talk without thinking. It has been frustrating. With a serious injury, you really don't want to rush back if it's not ready because it might happen again."

Fair said his neck felt fine after his first full practice on Wednesday.

"It's going to be sore, I expect that," Fair said. "It's nothing that I can't make it through."

Fair said he considered wearing some extra protection for his neck, but then decided against it.

"I told all the fellas that I am going to wear a neck roll, but I don't think I can do that," Fair said. "Everybody would laugh at me. I'd look like a throwback corner from the '60s or '70s or something. I'm just going to go out there and wear what I usually wear."

No sack lunch

Defensive tackle Ryan "Big Grease" Pickett was upset about being credited with just half a sack instead of two sacks after film of the Rams' 17-12 win over the Arizona Cardinals was reviewed by the Elias Stats Bureau.

"I got robbed," Pickett said.

Sacks are a rare commodity for a run-stuffing defensive tackles like Pickett. He had only four sacks in his four previous seasons in the NFL.

"Sacks are the hardest thing in the world to come by for me with all the double-teaming," Pickett said. "I have to go out and try to get some more. That was bad luck."

One of Pickett's sacks -- Arizona quarterback Kurt Warner had the ball slip out of his hand as he was trying to avoid Pickett -- was changed to a team sack.

"Even though I was grabbing him and pulling him when the ball slipped out of his hands, they didn't think I caused it," Pickett said. "(Defensive line) Coach (Bill) Kollar thought it should have been one."

The Elias Stats Bureau gave half of Pickett's other sack to defensive end Leonard Little.

Bad breakfast

Pro Bowl left tackle Orlando Pace probably won't be including eggs as part of his pregame meal for a while.

Pace played through an extremely upset stomach against the Cardinals.

"Something I ate for breakfast didn't agree with me," Pace said. "I was giving it up on the sideline quite a bit. It made it tough."

Pace blamed the eggs that he ate for breakfast, not a stomach virus that has been sweeping through the team, for his tummy troubles.

"I still have that taste in my mouth, so I don't know if I want them for a while," Pace said.

Despite being in distress, Pace missed only a handful of plays late in the first half against the Cardinals. He played the entire second half.

"You just try to focus and block it out and play football," Pace said.

Pace said he has been feeling much this week.

"It hasn't affected me too much," Pace said. "I was a little weak on Monday, but by Tuesday, I was feeling pretty good."