HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Despite Philly failure, a sellout for Sunday is “very close”

09.08.2008 7:53 pm
    By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

The Rams’ highly inelegant performance in Philadelphia notwithstanding, a sellout for Sunday’s home opener is almost a sure thing, according to team exec Bob Wallace. “Some tickets remain, but we’re very close,” Wallace reported Monday. “I very much anticipate a sellout.”

A major lure is the Giants, the defending Super Bowl champions. Also, optimistic Rams fans boosted single-game sales for the opener. Plus, the late Georgia Frontiere will be honored, and you can bet the team will do everything possible to assure a full house. A non-sellout on the day when the former team owner is being memorialized would be a major embarrassment.

The next home game, Sept, 28. vs. the Bills, also is nearly sold out. The contests against the Cowboys (Oct. 19) and Bears (Nov. 23) are almost sure to draw capacity crowds. As for the four other home games — Cardinals (Nov. 2), Dolphins (Nov. 30), Seahawks (Dec. 14) and ***** (Dec. 21) — a lot will depend on how the Rams fare over the next few weeks.

<><><>

The 38-3 debacle at Philly certainly didn’t lend much hope, but Scott Linehan said Monday that no one at Rams Park is in panic mode just yet.

“You have to keep the perspective that it’s one game,” he said. “But you have to call it like it is: We didn’t play very well, and it’s my job to get the team prepared to play. If you want to put your eyes on the person that didn’t get their job done, it’s me.”

Linehan falling on his sword was a nice gesture, but there was plenty of blame to be shared. The Rams were dominated in all three phases: offense, defense and special teams. The offense had no punch whatsoever; the defensive line didn’t pressure QB Donovan McNabb, and the secondary couldn’t defend his passes; and the Rams still have coverage issues on returns.

<><><>

Notes & quotes:

>>WR Drew Bennett is out at least a month with a broken bone in his left foot.

>>DE Leonard Little tweaked his right hamstring; it’s probably a two-week injury.

>>G Jacob Bell also had a hamstring problem. The severity was undetermined.

>>Sunday’s lopsided result probably shouldn’t have come as such a shock: The Rams were outscored 219-98 on the road last year.

>>Donnie Jones covered 485 yards on his punts — or almost three times as much real estate as the Rams’ offense produced.

>>TE Randy McMichael had a nice outing, with five catches for 77 yards. Good to see OC Al Saunders get the TE more involved in the passing game, as promised.

>>The Rams’ 11 possessions ended this way: 10 consecutive punts, and then finally a 46-yard field goal by Josh Brown with 3:06 to go.

>>QB Trent Green and C Brett Romberg were the only Rams in uniform who didn’t get into the game.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Despite Philly failure, a sellout for Sunday is “very close”

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

<><><>

The 38-3 debacle at Philly certainly didn’t lend much hope, but Scott Linehan said Monday that no one at Rams Park is in panic mode just yet.
    So Linehan waits until he gets home to go into panic mode!!!!

eldfan is offline Registered User

I happy to see a almost sell out. We need fan support for the game.

>>"Sunday’s lopsided result probably shouldn’t have come as such a shock: The Rams were outscored 219-98 on the road last year." I don't understand that, why can't we fix that?
    :ramlogo:

thoey is offline Registered User

Probably a lot of Giants fans...

This space for rent...

blood85 Guest

Agree, probably alot of Gmen fans...will the REAL Rams fans stand up and represent???

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by blood85 View Post
    Agree, probably alot of Gmen fans...will the REAL Rams fans stand up and represent???
    Nope, they won't

Quote Originally Posted by thoey View Post
    Probably a lot of Giants fans...

I doubt it. This isn't the Packers or Bears or even Steelers with reputations for traveling fans. It's the Giants. Now maybe the SuperBowl has created several bandwagoners across the country that could boost the number a little, but I highly doubt there is an unusually strong Giants presence.

I do expect a lot of empty seats though. Sure they sold the tickets (corporate sponsers, season holders, internal sales, etc.), but will there be butts in seats? I don't know, but I will be there first hand to bear witness.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Who cares if there's butts in the seats, Hub? They'll have the CLAN there! We'll count for a good 5-10,000 voices all by ourselves! Giants, prepare to get your eardrums ROCKED!

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

The Rams’ highly inelegant performance in Philadelphia notwithstanding, a sellout for Sunday’s home opener is almost a sure thing, according to team exec Bob Wallace. “Some tickets remain, but we’re very close,” Wallace reported Monday. “I very much anticipate a sellout.”

A major lure is the Giants, the defending Super Bowl champions. Also, optimistic Rams fans boosted single-game sales for the opener. Plus, the late Georgia Frontiere will be honored, and you can bet the team will do everything possible to assure a full house. A non-sellout on the day when the former team owner is being memorialized would be a major embarrassment.

The next home game, Sept, 28. vs. the Bills, also is nearly sold out. The contests against the Cowboys (Oct. 19) and Bears (Nov. 23) are almost sure to draw capacity crowds. As for the four other home games — Cardinals (Nov. 2), Dolphins (Nov. 30), Seahawks (Dec. 14) and ***** (Dec. 21) — a lot will depend on how the Rams fare over the next few weeks.

<><><>

“You have to keep the perspective that it’s one game,” he said. “But you have to call it like it is: We didn’t play very well, and it’s my job to get the team prepared to play. If you want to put your eyes on the person that didn’t get their job done, it’s me.”

Linehan falling on his sword was a nice gesture, but there was plenty of blame to be shared. The Rams were dominated in all three phases: offense, defense and special teams. The offense had no punch whatsoever; the defensive line didn’t pressure QB Donovan McNabb, and the secondary couldn’t defend his passes; and the Rams still have coverage issues on returns.

<><><>

Notes & quotes:

>>WR Drew Bennett is out at least a month with a broken bone in his left foot.

>>DE Leonard Little tweaked his right hamstring; it’s probably a two-week injury.

>>G Jacob Bell also had a hamstring problem. The severity was undetermined.

>>Sunday’s lopsided result probably shouldn’t have come as such a shock: The Rams were outscored 219-98 on the road last year.

>>Donnie Jones covered 485 yards on his punts — or almost three times as much real estate as the Rams’ offense produced.

>>TE Randy McMichael had a nice outing, with five catches for 77 yards. Good to see OC Al Saunders get the TE more involved in the passing game, as promised.

>>The Rams’ 11 possessions ended this way: 10 consecutive punts, and then finally a 46-yard field goal by Josh Brown with 3:06 to go.

>>QB Trent Green and C Brett Romberg were the only Rams in uniform who didn’t get into the game.
    I think it shows true spirit when even Giants fans want to show up and honor the late Georgia. The G-men Fans will be packing the stadium in the season ticket holders seats. What an advantage it must be to have a home game on the road.
    Just Fix It

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

What I don't get is how these tickets didn't sellout before the season started. Try buying a ticket to a home opener at any other stadium a few days before the game and you'll be out of luck and have to buy them from an online reseller. Pathetic this game isn't sold out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Who cares if there's butts in the seats, Hub? They'll have the CLAN there! We'll count for a good 5-10,000 voices all by ourselves! Giants, prepare to get your eardrums ROCKED!
    A point to trump all points for sure, Teke.

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    What I don't get is how these tickets didn't sellout before the season started. Try buying a ticket to a home opener at any other stadium a few days before the game and you'll be out of luck and have to buy them from an online reseller. Pathetic this game isn't sold out yet.
    To be fair, according to 2007 attendance as stated by ESPN, only 14 teams averaged a sellout.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Hub, is that attendance, or ticket sales? The NFL only cares about the ticket sales, not about if people actually go to the game. To that end, my guess is that the data shows that most of the teams actually sold out their games, however, only 14 actually filled the seats?

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Hub, is that attendance, or ticket sales? The NFL only cares about the ticket sales, not about if people actually go to the game. To that end, my guess is that the data shows that most of the teams actually sold out their games, however, only 14 actually filled the seats?
    Your guess is good as mine, Teke. ESPN just called it "attendance". Didn't give their methodology or anything. However, I would bet ticket sales would be easier to firmly establish than butts in seats, so I'm guessing ticket sales.