throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Details from First Preseason Game

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Details from First Preseason Game

Here's some individual details that I noticed:

1. Not sure if it's Dahl's presence, or just more experience and drive, but the offensive line looks like a brand new unit. What a solid performance from the first and second team units.
    2. Most impressive was Jason Smith, who looked to have a great game. He opened lined up against the very speedy Mathis, and held him in check for the most part. He totally dominated his relief.
    3. Cadillac looked fast. Gilyard looked even faster. Norwood is just STUPID fast.
    4. Bradford did not impress me at all. It's preseason, take some chances. Never been a big fan of Feeley, but that dude will stand tall in the pocket until the very end.
    5. For those wondering about MSW, he injured his groin. He was open about 15-20 yards twice down the field, but Sam chose to check down.
    6. Robert Quinn did look a little slow off the snap, but what do you expect? He hasn't played in more than a year. He settled in and showed why he earned the slot he did. Ooozes potential.
    7. Justin Bannan is huge. Nobody is going to run up the middle against us.
    8. Is John Brown on steroids? Seriously? That might have been good from 64.
    9. Look out for Jabarra Williams. He's a player. So is Darian Stewart, that man is physical.
    10. We're going to make the playoffs. This early season tough schedule will be the best thing that ever happened to us.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Re: Details from First Preseason Game

After the game Josh Brown said he has lost fifteen pounds this offseason and has been doing alot of running. says he feels young again.

This inspired me so much I went to the track and watched people run.
    Last edited by live4ramin; -08-14-2011 at 01:10 PM.
    "The horror"

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I feel the exact same way about all your points. But what a draft eh? Jabara Williams, Jermale Hines, Robert Quinn, and Lance Kendricks all did good. A lot of guys did excellent and I am even more enthusiastic now.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Robert Quinn did look a little slow off the snap,
    I disagree on this one....

In the 2nd quarter: (4:02) D.Evans up the middle to IND 48 for -2 yards (R.Quinn).

Quinn got off and was in the backfield to blow up this running play.

He may have been a little spent, he played a lot.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Rambos if you recall, he was unblocked on this play.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

4. Bradford did not impress me at all. It's preseason, take some chances.
    Never been a big fan of Feeley, but that dude will stand tall in the pocket
    until the very end.
    I went back today and replayed the game again, this time stopping to see the passing plays develop.

You are right, Sam missed a lot of open opportunities. He had several open receivers deeper down field but checked down into the "sure" throw to the TE or RB coming out of the backfield.

But I'll give him a pass for the first game.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    I went back today and replayed the game again, this time stopping to see the passing plays develop.

You are right, Sam missed a lot of open opportunities. He had several open receivers deeper down field but checked down into the "sure" throw to the TE or RB coming out of the backfield.

That's something they'll see in the film review and point out, because we need to be able to stretch the field. And if there are open receivers and opportunities to do so, they should be taken advantage of. As he gains confidence in the offensive system, I'm hoping we'll see that.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    That's something they'll see in the film review and point out, because we need to be able to stretch the field. And if there are open receivers and opportunities to do so, they should be taken advantage of. As he gains confidence in the offensive system, I'm hoping we'll see that.
    This is the part of Sams game that needs impovement and he will probably tell you himself.? I dont know if Sam is under any kind of instruction regarding turning the ball over, Its a Spags thing maybe as well. But I am beginning to get a little bit frustrated with these check downs to Amendola, also, he is going to get someone killed in the process.?

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

While I fully expect Bradford to be a great QB for us, I would not be shocked to see him have a very mediocre season. It's alot to ask him to be effective throwing downfield in a new offense. Could see alot of INT's this year. Luckily, I think we are good enough to overcome this.

I'm willing to accept the INT's and poor throws if he is willing to take some chances.

And as Ground Dog pointed out, he almost got Amendola's season ended last night.
    Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -08-14-2011 at 10:22 PM.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    While I fully expect Bradford to be a great QB for us, I would not be shocked to see him have a very mediocre season. It's alot to ask him to be effective throwing downfield in a new offense. Could see alot of INT's this year. Luckily, I think we are good enough to overcome this.

I'm willing to accept the INT's and poor throws if he is willing to take some chances.

And as Ground Dog pointed out, he almost got Amendola's season ended last night.
    As long as Sam puts up wins what does it matter where he throws it wither it be down the field or a check down on every single snap?

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I think when Bradford trusts that he is going to get time to throw and his weapons learn the offense, we're going to see things open up. Bradford is too good to keep down with a strong OL in front of him and the threat of #39.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I think when Bradford trusts that he is going to get time to throw and his weapons learn the offense, we're going to see things open up. Bradford is too good to keep down with a strong OL in front of him and the threat of #39.
    Agree. Bradford is just playing it safe right now because he's not fully comfortable in the new offense. He'll be able to go back and see things on tape that he should've done. It's just part of the learning process. I have a feeling he'll be on a roll by midseason.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Pettis missed some catches also but I understand knowing he was well covered but we drafted so he can catch on traffic. I'm hoping to see some improvement from him against the Titans.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Did Bradford look all that great in the first two preseason games last year? I seem to remember that it was far from certain that he would start over Feeley until after The Pats game. And that was with a full off-season to install the system & practice it.

Not even sure I accept that there were that many instances of Sam playing it that safe. The drops by Pettis & Kendricks weren't dinky,iirc.I don't think INTs accomplish anything except waste the opportunity to be efficient and smart with the ball & get the score.. I think I'll worry about style points or hazard opinions about what the tendencies of the 2011 offense will be when I've actually seen it fully armed & operational under real conditions.

Some luck with injuries & I see no reason to doubt that Sam will make the jump from just efficient and smart more quickly than some might think.I understand people waiting to curb expectations but he made a huge jump last year & carried the team with him under less favorable conditions. I'm sure it won't all goes as smoothly as it did vs Indy but there was too much good there for it to be a mirage.

Early days, my friends.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -08-15-2011 at 03:28 AM.
    Ramendola16 likes this.

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post

When I watched this, I also saw the seem route up the middle open often. Bradford still took the crossing route on most plays.

Bradford needs to do a better job early in the season, as well as early in games, to find this to open up the run game.

I thought he had Kenricks twice (wide open) and checked to the slot WR or running back....

Pre-season game 3 will be the real look at our passing game.....Bradford may need some fire under him to start chucking it.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast