Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Devaney on How Important Character Will Be

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Alex Boone, PJ Hill, Phil Loadholt, ......... who else?
    I might be wrong, but also possibly Maualuga?

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I love this policy. The odds are against guys that get in trouble with the law. I'm all for second chances, but not if my team has to be the one giving the chance. Minimizing risk and looking for high character guys is always a good bet. The best part about this policy is the assurance that we'll give Michael Vick ZERO consideration.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

My hope is that at least for one day during camp every player, rookies especially, hears Leonard Littles story from Leonard Little.

Instead of Bentleys, why don't these guys go with Jaguars or Lexus's and hire a fulltime driver/bodyguard? Thats a status symbol with bling.
    Tell me when it's over,

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

I'm 100% behind this philosophy from Devaney.

On an established team with an established system and an established leadership it is ok to take a chance on a player. Randy Moss is a great example. His choice was simple... fit in or get out.

But we have a lot of young players, a new system, a new coach and a long hard road to have a successful program. Eliminating as many problems as possible is a very smart thing to do. The Rams have a lot of work to do and teaching someone life skills does not need to be on the list. For every one Ray Lewis I would bet you get hundreds of Claude Wrotens.

I don't mean to say we can't compete next year but I'm talking about program that makes the playoffs every year. A program that is mentioned when they talk superbowl at the beginning of the season. A program where winning is a constant and losing is the exception to the rule. I'm talking the Dynasty starts in 2010 and all roads to the Superbowl go through St. Louis!!!

denverram is offline Registered User

I agree 100% with Billy D. on this. I am a huge Spurs fan as well as the Rams. I think their are plenty of good guys with plenty of talent. I do not care if we miss on a great player if he has questionable character.

I do not think you add a dysfunctional person to a functional environment and rehabiltate the dysfunctional one. I think it is much more likely that dysfunctional person makes the entire group dysfunctional. He takes time and energy away from the plan and becomes a distraction for everyone.

I would rather have a less talented fully functional intelligent player than a slightly more talent bonehead. My Spurs have demonstrated for the last decade and the NE Pats as well that it is not always the best talent that wins. It the team that plays best. Boneheads distract from this effort.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by R8rh8rmike View Post
    I love this policy. The odds are against guys that get in trouble with the law. I'm all for second chances, but not if my team has to be the one giving the chance. Minimizing risk and looking for high character guys is always a good bet.
    Exactleeee Mike! And as Rambunctious & Denverram said, "I'm 100% behind this philosophy from Devaney."

Most teams have this general idea of improving 'character' in their overall team plans, especially these past several years. But it would be interesting to find out which teams actually achieve this specific ideal, for it is not exactly an objective goal -- unless you count the number of team players arrests, citations, parolees, and that kind of "stats".

I hope Devaney's decree turns out to be an effective measure not only in team discipline but in WINNING results. From acquiring good individuals in the draft to achieving more of those ever crucial 'W's.

It sure would be grand to do this with class and character, as tall of an order as it is.

PS: I look forward to seeing Wroten removed from the roster, BTW. Cog, I don't consider him a character issue of the nature as presented by B. Devaney. Richie is maturing, I think, into a tough OL that will improve his skills and his performance.
    Last edited by RealRam; -03-25-2009 at 08:21 PM. Reason: PS

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Although Devaney emphasized the baseline would be a legal problem in a candidate's past, I don't think it is the only criterion he meant we would take into consideration.

Andre Smith, for example, hasn't had any legal problems that I know of but,imo, he's definitely displayed as poor judgment/maturity as a guy who loses his head on the field like Cogs and Cogs did it at Nebraska first,didn't he?

Sometimes it's just youth and in a culture that has Spags-ish values well-established, that probably isn't a big deal.We don't have that culture...yet.Until we do, I'm fine with the hard line.

BTW, Which of us didn't do something really boneheaded between the age of 18-22? Maybe you didn't get caught which may bode well for your political career but surely it's a "there but for the grace of God, go I" thing, not perfection, no?

So overall, I'm not a big fan of holding young athletes to a higher moral standard than Presidential candidates. Not saying we should take any yahoo who jumps on car hoods & fights cops or the habitually lazy or partyboys. That's different than a youthful indiscretion.

Once they are being paid such exorbitant amounts of money, then YES;for that kind of quan, is it that hard to give up the bong or pop for a cab when you're buzzed or to not pick fights and shoot off your mouth when you can pretty much do anything between the whistles that you could in a bar brawl?

It's the stupidity that gets me, not the morality.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -03-25-2009 at 10:06 PM.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Bison, what was wrong character wise with cam cleeland? I know he jumped into a swimming pool and saved a kids life.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

I don't think I can put it any better than some of the others that have already stated that they are completely behind Devaney on this. I totally concur with this mindset and am proud to have these type of statements coming from our front office.
    Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    ...It's the stupidity that gets me, not the morality.

Hmmm, given our context of character, doesn't one lead to the other?

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

No doubt there probably already is one, but what about a citizenship clause? An Arrest puts one's bonus in jeopardy and a conviction cancels a contract.

Or something to that effect.

I certainly do not condone the way some of those yokels purport themselves but part of what drives them to be idiots also drives them to excel in the game?
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Hmmm, given our context of character, doesn't one lead to the other?
    Confucius said you can win with people who are stupid some of the time and you can win with people who are immoral some of the time; I can live with that.Who's perfect?

But you can't be stupid and immoral all of the time- that's when the words are synonymous- and expect me to like it when you win at all.

But then Confucius also said girl with skirt up runs faster than man with pants down.

So he's an immoral dog who tells stupid jokes and should be ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Confucius said you can win with people who are stupid some of the time and you can win with people who are immoral some of the time; I can live with that.Who's perfect?

But you can't be stupid and immoral all of the time- that's when the words are synonymous- and expect me to like it when you win at all.

But then Confucius also said girl with skirt up runs faster than man with pants down.

So he's an immoral dog who tells stupid jokes and should be ignored.

LOL! Ha-haaaaaa-haa! I knew it. Good one A&E. ...I think.

Seriously, I believe most of us understand very well what Boss Devaney is not only addressing but striving for.

'Character', 'code of conduct', 'demeanor', 'ethics', 'morality', 'normative and rational standards', ... these concepts are all ambiguos to the core and as philosophical and psychological as one would want to extend their definition, something which of course goes way beyond the scope of Clan Warriors or even NFL marshalls and regulators.

Or does it? It will be most interesting, IMO, to see if and how these brain busters pan out as the issue of CHARACTER continues to play on a very high plateau of IMPORTANCE.

For me, for now, suffice it to go back to Devaney's words and focus on what the Rams are looking for as part of the strength of the team:

"My point coming in to the scouts was-- if these guys....I don't care what they did....how minor...the least little infraction....if it had something to do with breaking the law.....they're going into the "Do Not Draft" category. If we screw up on somebody, it won't be because we misjudged their character. There either evaluated wrong, for whatever reason....but we're not going screw up by brining in a bad character guy....and we're going to do the same thing this year......Zero tolerance."

By the same token, I hope more and more collegiate players will have learned how to wipe their nose before even considering going PRO, regardless of how well they play.
    Last edited by RealRam; -03-25-2009 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Tyops agian!

jbell15 Guest

The reason the patriots are able to bring in guys who have questionable character right now, is because they built their team on character guys first. They built the championship years under a zero tolerance policy, then they added the guys who have questionable character's because they know that their core guys will not tolerate any bull****. Randy moss was not around for the first pat's championship, neither was rodney harrison, or corey dillon. We need to build this team with character guys so strong, that we can bring in guys who have some past problems(like matt jones) without tearing it down(t.o).
    I TOTALLY AGREE WITH BILL D.

Can't argue that it's a good measurable to start with but, all joking aside, until being stupid is illegal, only eliminating lawbreakers won't solve/avoid some of the problems that are labelled "character issues".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast