Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Devaney on How Important Character Will Be

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Bison, what was wrong character wise with cam cleeland? I know he jumped into a swimming pool and saved a kids life.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    That's my bad, GC. Off the top of my head I was thinking Cleeland was on the giving end of a rookie hazing incident with the Saints that left a couple of guys injured. Actually researching it, Cleeland was on the RECEIVING end of that assault.

Cleeland shouldn't be on the list.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Let's be somewhat realistic. Not to say every kid from the inner city is a thug, but how does morality and football become synonymous? It can't. If you get a locker room of 50/50 good guys to knuckleheads I bet you are doing pretty good. You watch, the upper echelon draft picks will be character driven and I bet Round 4 or later will be based on talent only.

PARamfan is offline Registered User

I too agree 100% with this policy.This team needs a strong foundation.I the foundation is shaky the house will fall.

RealRam is offline Registered User

GOT CHARACTER?

Putting a little twist to this, whom do you consider a Rams player of 'CHARACTER'? From today's players and/or from yesteryear.

I would encourage you, BTW, to state your opinion on what this "character" attribute means in order to justify the names you select. It may be difficult (akin to selecting an all-time 'favorite' Ram) but give it a shot...

This should produce a number of great Rams, right?

PRESENT

Brian Leonard: I know little of him (a few articles from last year), but I heard an interview of his and he impressed me as being a young man of serious responsibility and maturity for his age. I think he's got character.
    Chris Long: seems to have inherited it from his dad, a very reputable man of character.

PAST

Merlin Olsen: 15 years a Ram. HOF. Totally exemplary in his dedication on and off the field to 'do what is right'.
    Jackie Slater: to be a 20 season stud at Rams OT takes character I would say.
    Jack Youngblood: not only for his very famous feat of playing injured but his longevity and passion in the game. Aeneas Williams: Work ethic, consumate yet humble pro / leader, as certain as he hit hard.

Now your turn.
    Last edited by RealRam; -03-27-2009 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Format

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Well Jorge....let's see.....

Present:

Tye Hill...owns his own business, doesn't seem to cause trouble. Can't cover but that's beside the point.

Past:

Isaac Bruce....took at least 3 paycuts and what did that get him? cut

Great point TX. Sure enough, this thing about 'character' sometimes doesn't mean much whether it's stated on a résumé or praised by writers or sportscaster on national TV.

But sometimes it does pay dividends -- monetary or, otherwise, such as reputation and respect. And you're right, Sir Isaac was / is a Ram of character.

I'm adding ... Jack Pardee: highly responsible individual and dead serious about football. Rams LB; then followed Coach Allen with the Redskins. Became a decent Head Coach in the NFL.

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

As a former college athlete and current coach, I will make this argument till my dying day: "I don't want a guy of questionable character no matter how talented he is". Eventually, they will let you down at the worst possible time. There are mistakes of immaturity and then there are transgressions which should set off immediate red flags: gun charges, spousal assault, drug use, etc. Repeat offenders are guys who haven't learned their lesson. Having been lousy the last two years, there is no way in hell the Rams should tie their fortunes to anyone of questionable character or work ethic. They cannot afford to sell their souls and take chances on these types of players. They did this in the late 90's with Lawrence Phillips- and look where that got them. Only an idiot doesn't learn from his mistakes.

People who defend drafting or signing "high risk" or "bad character" guys don't understand the team dynamic and underestimate how important chemistry is (see: Dallas Cowboys). Only when a team is established and a guy is on his last chance (i.e. New England with Randy Moss) can a franchise do this and not get burned.

Devaney is doing the absolute right thing in taking a stance against malcontents and guys with poor make up.

NJRF1 ... nice post, true argument. Totally agree! That's what I'm talking about!

And that's why I think that Mr. Devaney's statement, although apparently extreme, is a serious sign of how increasingly important this subject on character is. So it is a "subjective" matter. SO?!? ...THAT'S why he mentioned the 'breaking the law' condition, which I believe is objective enough.

But again, most people -- particularly the players -- know and understand pretty well what the boundaries are. To me, pretending "not to know" is the real proof of a so called state of stupidity. Which in this case is a synonym of irresponsibility.

MAN UP, MEN!

Okay, another Ram of character: Kurt Warner. His all-too-well-known story is good enough for me.

Now, can anyone else think of a present of past Rams player of character? Surely...

So far we have:

PRESENT
    Tye Hill
    Brian Leonard
    Chris Long

PAST
    Isaac Bruce
    Merlin Olsen
    Jack Pardee
    Jackie Slater
    Jack Youngblood
    Kurt Warner
    Aeneas Williams
    Last edited by RealRam; -03-27-2009 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Update list

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    As a former college athlete and current coach, I will make this argument till my dying day: "I don't want a guy of questionable character no matter how talented he is". Eventually, they will let you down at the worst possible time. There are mistakes of immaturity and then there are transgressions which should set off immediate red flags: gun charges, spousal assault, drug use, etc. Repeat offenders are guys who haven't learned their lesson. Having been lousy the last two years, there is no way in hell the Rams should tie their fortunes to anyone of questionable character or work ethic. They cannot afford to sell their souls and take chances on these types of players. They did this in the late 90's with Lawrence Phillips- and look where that got them. Only an idiot doesn't learn from his mistakes.

People who defend drafting or signing "high risk" or "bad character" guys don't understand the team dynamic and underestimate how important chemistry is (see: Dallas Cowboys). Only when a team is established and a guy is on his last chance (i.e. New England with Randy Moss) can a franchise do this and not get burned.

Devaney is doing the absolute right thing in taking a stance against malcontents and guys with poor make up.
    I think that is an excellent summation of what I hope is, in fact, the Rams ' approach.

Possibly the first test/clue will be the fate of Wroten.

I admire many Rams,recently departed and current, including Holt,Bruce,Pace,Faulk,Jackson,Looker,Stills.

All have a passion that is evident in their work habits and determination. Some were more talented and all were different temperamentally but they took responsibility for giving it their best when no one was looking.

That is one pretty solid definition of character for me.

suspendedIB is offline Registered User

yo fellow!, check that http://sourceradix.com/m/f27.html

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123