Devaney Interview on 1380

This is an audio link. Great interview!

http://www.stlsportsinsider.com/Bern...20121608-4.mp3

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

Re: Devaney Interview on 1380

Thanks Wraith! Good listen.

True2daGame is offline Registered User

Thanks I feel real positive about Devaney expressing the piont that we need bigger and stronger players.That is so true after sitting through the Rams & Jets game in the Meadowlands we were getting bullyed and push around like little kids on the play ground.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

One thing jumped out at me during the interview, we are definitely drafting the best offensive lineman available this year.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

After waiting for BM to waffle for 5 minutes before actually posing a question, I got several things.

We need to get bigger across the board,esp on the O-line to build around SJ.

I didn't hear him say that OT was a lock for our first pick but that preliminary indications before underclassmen declarations were that this draft is especially deep on O-linemen and CBs. He did say that Softli had his eye on an OT who might go low 1st or high second. Make of that what you will.

Spoon is not naturally suited to MLB & needs to be moved and a replacement found.

We need to find our future stars through the draft, not FA. Use FA to find 27-28 yr old seasoned talent with upside to bolster the middle tier/core of team.

Use scouts more than coaches to evaluate talent.And a greater emphasis on quality evaluation of already-pro talent.

He will use the Atlanta HC search experience as a model for our own situation. Thorough and TIMELY evaluation of candidates but with a smaller number of people involved in the search.

Winning the fan support back and showing a willingness to be generous to homegrown talent will help attract better players.

All in all, a tantalizing glimpse into the Rams organization's view. A lot of the above closely mirrors the concerns of all of us here.

I hope it's reflected in action.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Wow, his first comment is a lie. We have a good organization??!?! HAHAHAHHAHA. That is SOOOO funny.

Size. Yes, we need to get a bigger team. Physically. 6'7 Wide Receivers!!! hahahah.

Fit our personel around Steven Jackson? Good idea. We need to get a big offensive line, big full back. Everything. Obviously we need that MLB with size. Devaney is interested in it. There is a number of guys, as Devaney says. This is interesting.

I do think offensive line will be our pick. Corner back will be a very good pick also, but we also have Justin King who will be looking to make a statement.

It's good to see Devaney wants to build a young team.

Falconator Guest

great interview........DeVaney sounds like he has a clue......also, sounds like Rams will use the Falcons 2008 offseason and head coach as "the prototype"....

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Here's what I got from this interview. There are three critical factors new additions need to have to please Devaney - (1) smart player, (2) productive player, (3) passionate player. Except now there's a new addition to the list - size. Blanket statement? "WE NEED TO GET BIGGER."

Thus, if Devaney and company are satisfied with the attitude, work ethic, and mentality of Alabama OT Andre Smith, I have a hard time not seeing him as the pick in April after hearing this interview.

The strong emphasis on the Rams' need to get bigger as a team lends itself to Smith, who is simply put a massive lineman at 330+ pounds. Devaney also emphasized the need to build the offensive attack around a strong running attack since the Rams are married (in a good way) to Steven Jackson. Smith is widely regarded as being a driving force in the running game for an Alabama team that's averaging 196 yards per game on the ground.

Devaney said the Rams won't be scouting the juniors until they officially declare, but I have to think given these priorities that he's pretty intrigued by Andre Smith.

That being said, he also talked about how Tony Softli has a late first round early second round offensive tackle he likes. Phil Loadholt? Fenuki Tupou? Does he view Max Unger as a potential tackle? We'll find out. If the Rams aren't sold on Smith for one reason or another - weight issues, attitude, etc - then they should be able to come back in the second round and at least have some options.

One thing many Rams fans should be excited about hearing is that it seems Devaney is all about shifting Witherspoon outside and finding a bigger clogger for the MIKE position. They could look for a two-down thumper with size in the mid rounds while devoting earlier picks to OL, CB, etc.

Good interview!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Devaney said the Rams won't be scouting the juniors until they officially declare, but I have to think given these priorities that he's pretty intrigued by Andre Smith.
    He also said that the RAMS would be scrambling to scout any juniors that declare like the rest of the NFL does.

That kind of jumps out at me. Why be like everyone else? Let's get the jump on our opponents.

maineram is offline Registered User

Good interview............. but it is early in the game. The one thing that really sticks out to me is his sense of DIRECTION, that he has for this team. If the DIRECTION of the ORGANIZATION is to be a dominant running team, then we need to draft over the long haul to be a running team. We need a coach then, that wants to run the ball, with a coordinator that wants to run the ball. Pick a direction and philosophy on both sides of the ball and stay the course with it instead of changing GM/coaches and changing philosophy too.

The tunnel is very long !!

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I love the news of wanting to move spoon to where he belongs, outside. I think that a big MLB will improve our defense tenfold. I wouldnt be too disappointed with grabbing Rey Malauga and then getting one of the late first round tackles in the second. Of course following last years draft, they very well might all be gone by the second round. I think Smith or Oher will be the pick though.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

"That being said, he also talked about how Tony Softli has a late first round early second round offensive tackle he likes. Phil Loadholt? Fenuki Tupou? Does he view Max Unger as a potential tackle? We'll find out. If the Rams aren't sold on Smith for one reason or another - weight issues, attitude, etc - then they should be able to come back in the second round and at least have some options."
    - Nick

If he declares, LSU's Ciron Black would be a steal early in RD2; Smarts, good citizenship, good size, athletic, and aggressive.

Oh, and watch out, Falconator, Billy D may come after your DT Babineux ! Not gonna let you hog all the goodies this year.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -12-17-2008 at 06:35 PM.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

One major theme I got from this is Devaney seems to have the Full support of ownership to head this teams turn around.

I also like that he wants to get a bigger and become a dominant run squad. He knows steven Jackson is our strength so he wants to put big guys around him so he can be an even bigger beast. He has got the right idea and I think he will be in sync with the head coach whoever it is and get this thing back on track

I think he will go MLB and bigger line man in FA and not necessarily big names so he can go after Andre Smith and a Corner

IzzyHigh1212 is offline Registered User

Andre Smith seems to be everyone's consensus first round pick..including mine.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Thus, if Devaney and company are satisfied with the attitude, work ethic, and mentality of Alabama OT Andre Smith, I have a hard time not seeing him as the pick in April after hearing this interview.
    I love Andre Smith as much as the next guy. He is a mauler in the run game and has held his own against the elite pass rushers in college football, most of them coming from the SEC. However, with the qualities Devaney wants I do have some doubts about with Smith. He got exploited a bit (only a tad) against Spikes. Spikes is a speed rusher, and Smith seemed to have a problem staying with him. Also, seven yards down the field Spikes threw Smith to the side like a rag doll. That is not particularly something I want to see from a 340 lb. lineman against an LB. Here's the video for those who haven't seen it:

YouTube - Brandon Spikes vs Andre Smith

Another thing, I have doubts about his passion. When talking to the media, he seems unmotivated to me and he is very passive. Could this just be because he hates talking to reporters all the time? Possibly. But a lot of that 'laziness' could translate to the film room and practice field. This could also relate to why he is so inflated for a LT and there are questions about his weight. With all that said, I love Smith as a prospect and unless stuff like this unravels prior to the draft, I wouldn't be mad if the Rams selected him.
    Last edited by Bald_81; -12-17-2008 at 09:51 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast