Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Devaney Interview on 1380

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    Also, seven yards down the field Spikes threw Smith to the side like a rag doll. That is not particularly something I want to see from a 340 lb. lineman against an LB. Here's the video for those who haven't seen it:
    To me, it seems as if the video pretty clearly shows the runner falling on Smith's legs right before he gets thrown aside by Spikes, no?

Another thing, I have doubts about his passion. When talking to the media, he seems unmotivated to me and he is very passive. Could this just be because he hates talking to reporters all the time? Possibly.
    Perhaps. I don't want to sound as if I'm just out here to defend the guy because I have questions I want to have answered about him as well, and those include work ethic and attitude. But as I recall, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Orlando Pace was talked about as being a passive guy who didn't have the mean streak that some felt necessary for an offensive lineman. So that's something to think about as well.

Falconator Guest

[quote=Azul e Oro;262876
    Oh, and watch out, Falconator, Billy D may come after your DT Babineux ! Not gonna let you hog all the goodies this year.[/quote]

sorry Azul,

Thomas Dimitroff/Falcons GM(aka "the Architect") is one step ahead of Billy-D.....He resigned Jonathan Babineaux last week to a 5 year deal - its done!

Falconator Guest

I love Andre Smith as much as the next guy. He is a mauler in the run game and has held his own against the elite pass rushers in college football, most of them coming from the SEC. However, with the qualities Devaney wants I do have some doubts about with Smith. He got exploited a bit (only a tad) against Spikes. Spikes is a speed rusher, and Smith seemed to have a problem staying with him. Also, seven yards down the field Spikes threw Smith to the side like a rag doll. That is not particularly something I want to see from a 340 lb. lineman against an LB. Here's the video for those who haven't seen it:

YouTube - Brandon Spikes vs Andre Smith

Another thing, I have doubts about his passion. When talking to the media, he seems unmotivated to me and he is very passive. Could this just be because he hates talking to reporters all the time? Possibly. But a lot of that 'laziness' could translate to the film room and practice field. This could also relate to why he is so inflated for a LT and there are questions about his weight. With all that said, I love Smith as a prospect and unless stuff like this unravels prior to the draft, I wouldn't be mad if the Rams selected him.
    Baldy,

you need to watch your video of Smith/Spikes again. The reason Spikes threw Smith down was because he was facemasking him

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Going back to the size issue, I noticed years ago the Rams were generally smaller than other teams, Orlando and Alex excepted of course, but it got me thinking. One of the biggest down falls this team has shown me over the years is they don't like spending money. I don't have the time or patience to do so, but I bet if you crunched the numbers, we probably get smaller players because it's cheaper. I would love to see a "price by the pound" comparison of our team and more successful teams...just a thought
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    Going back to the size issue, I noticed years ago the Rams were generally smaller than other teams, Orlando and Alex excepted of course, but it got me thinking. One of the biggest down falls this team has shown me over the years is they don't like spending money. I don't have the time or patience to do so, but I bet if you crunched the numbers, we probably get smaller players because it's cheaper. I would love to see a "price by the pound" comparison of our team and more successful teams...just a thought
    SIZE MATTERS

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
    sorry Azul,

Thomas Dimitroff/Falcons GM(aka "the Architect") is one step ahead of Billy-D.....He resigned Jonathan Babineaux last week to a 5 year deal - its done!
    DOH ! That's what I get for being a wiseass without checking my facts.

Hmmm...maybe I should write for The P-D...

But that IS a good signing for you guys.

F%#king Dimitroff...didn't he come from The Patsies?

I sense a dark presence....Darth Dirty Bird...

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    DOH ! That's what I get for being a wiseass without checking my facts.

Hmmm...maybe I should write for The P-D...

But that IS a good signing for you guys.

F%#king Dimitroff...didn't he come from The Patsies?

I sense a dark presence....Darth Dirty Bird...
    Yes, Dimitroff was the college director of scouting for the Darth Pats

We also resigned big target wideout - Michael Jenkins who is having a good year and making clutch catches. Look for Falcons to tie up Roddy White to a long term contract over the off-season as well.

And yes, Babineaux(aka "Babs") signing was a good one. Look for Falcons to focus on defensive line (DE/DT) in free agency and draft.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

In fairness Falconator, look at it again. The running back falls into the back of Smith's legs. He's not thrown down like a rag. He's dodging a big hurt.
    I'm the guy that walks up after the argument's started.

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    In fairness Falconator, look at it again. The running back falls into the back of Smith's legs. He's not thrown down like a rag. He's dodging a big hurt.
    well, I watched it......AGAIN for the 10th time. Yes, Spikes is still facemasking Andre Smith. On top of the facemask the RB falls down towards Smith's legs - but Smith did not see it. Spikes had his fingers in Smith's mug while that was happenin' - think you need to watch it again.

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    That is simply not true. The Rams do spend money, they just don't spend money wisely. I believe there are only 4 teams with less money under the cap then the Rams. They signed Bulger to a huge deal, signed Jackson to a big deal, outbid the Jets for Faneca (he simply wanted nothing to do with The Rams) signed Bell to a big deal, signed Orlando Pace to a monster deal, signed Witherspoon to a big deal, singed Bennett to a big deal, etc. The Rams problems have never been about spending money, it's spending that money wisely.

As for them being small, that started with Lovie Smith, he wanted small, faster guys so the FO obliged and gave Lovie far to much say in personnel matters.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameMN View Post
    That is simply not true. The Rams do spend money, they just don't spend money wisely. I believe there are only 4 teams with less money under the cap then the Rams. They signed Bulger to a huge deal, signed Jackson to a big deal, outbid the Jets for Faneca (he simply wanted nothing to do with The Rams) signed Bell to a big deal, signed Orlando Pace to a monster deal, signed Witherspoon to a big deal, singed Bennett to a big deal, etc. The Rams problems have never been about spending money, it's spending that money wisely.

As for them being small, that started with Lovie Smith, he wanted small, faster guys so the FO obliged and gave Lovie far to much say in personnel matters.
    Hey BigGame, I understand what you're saying. Yes we have spent some money in the past few years to retain Bulger and Jackson, but I think that was a last ditch effort by Shaw and or Zygmut to make it look like they knew what they were doing. If you look at my first sentence of my statement may may make more sense to you. "I noticed a few years ago" means probably around the time that Lovie did indeed start helping with the choice of players, but I actually want to read through that (and this is my whole point) and think "what coach in his right mind would think "hey, smaller is better for a line". But if you compared line players by price per pound, I think the heavier (by nature, not roids or butter) would be higher priced. That just my thought. Now going back even farther to explain my point, when I truly started following the Rams as more than just an enamored seven year old, and when the ever lovely Mrs. Rosenbloom-Frontiere took over, then I truly stand on my statement that historically (for me since 1980) this team does not like to spend money. For player reference I will submit Eric Dickerson, Jerome Bettis, Kevin Greene, Lodon Fletcher and Issac Bruce as examples. I am sure there are more, but those are the ones that stick in my mind.

Does that make sense?
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Falconator Guest

i listened to the interview last week but when I click on the link now it does not work - any ideas Rams Wraith?

gap Guest

Jerome Bettis is a bad example, as he absolutely refused to play for the RAMS because he was pissed that they moved from LA. Add into that the conversations that the sealers "didn't" have with his agent, and Bettis just refused to play in St Louis. IIRC, there was a comment he made in an interview that St Louis didn't have enough of a night life to keep his interest.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12