RamWraith is offline Registered User

Devaney interview with Bernie:

a couple of things:

- BD will have a press conference on tuesday at 11:30 CST to lay out some particulars about the hiring process
    - chip and his sister, and john shaw WILL be involved in the process once the candidates have been narrowed down to two or three, but BD is confident that his recommendation will still carry the day when all said and done
    - wants a coach who is all about leadership, Xs and Os are important, but he wants a guy who can lead the team on the field and the organization off the field to reconnect with fans
    - chris long will take a week off and told BD that he'd be back to train next week
    - thinks team isn't that far away from being a winner
    - when asked what haslett would do to change the team next year, BD said that is one a question that he will ask haslett in his interview and that his answer would go a long way towards whether the rams could sell haslett to the fans in 2009
    - on bulger: has quiet demeanor, but the players respect him. It would be worse if he tried to be a loud vocal leader, because that is not him. But the players know that he is tough.
    - on jackson: need to figure out why he can't stay healthy - does he need a stretching program, what has to be done? Eliminate anything that he might be doing wrong.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Re: Devaney interview with Bernie:

Rambos is offline Registered User

and john shaw WILL be involved in the process once the candidates have been narrowed down
    Why would Shaw be involved in the process?

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Why would Shaw be involved in the process?
    He's still on the team. He stepped down from his post as Zygmunt's morbid doppelganger (or was it the other way around?) but he remains employed by the franchise.

Obviously his years of expertise in the front office will come in handy. He's made some fantastic selections in years past.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

why is it important to know that Chris Long is taking a week off and then returning? Are other players going to be back in a week to start training?

I guess we will know more about the hiring/firing situation tomorrow.
    Last edited by UtterBlitz; -12-30-2008 at 12:41 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Listened to the entire interview, guy sounds extremely involved and excited to start the process of rebuilding the franchise as a whole, and he seems to be very sure and secure about the decisions he wants to make. Got me a little hype listening to it but now im SURE I have something great to look forward to. Feels good having a guy like this on our side.

"Will you have a coach in place by Superbowl?"

Devaney, "Oh hell yeah...." lol

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz View Post
    why is it important to know that Chris Long is taking a week off and then returning? Are other players going to be back in a week to start training?

I guess we will know more about the hiring/firing situation tomorrow.
    This was in response to Devaney asking Long, "You getting away for a while?" after the season was over. Long replied that he'd go home for a week then be right back to start training for next season. This was kept in context of Devaney stating that many players on the Rams already have the right attitude and want to win.

The more I hear from Devaney, the more I like. He doesn't give your typical PC answers or just says what people want to hear - he seems to be down to earth, is specific with his answers, and has some rock solid logic behind them. He gives me hope for the Rams' future; I just hope he can pick the right people and/or players for the vision he has.

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

Says he wants to get bigger. I agree, lets get some big strong fast guys instead of these little spedo's. I'm tired of seeing our LB's and DL get pushed around every single game.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by EDM
    he seems to be down to earth, is specific with his answers, and has some rock solid logic behind them.
    For real, EDM! For real and amen!

After stumbling through the forest of "yibbit" and the valley of "I don't have that answer", it's nice to hear someone with actual answers.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by evil disco man View Post
    This was in response to Devaney asking Long, "You getting away for a while?" after the season was over. Long replied that he'd go home for a week then be right back to start training for next season. This was kept in context of Devaney stating that many players on the Rams already have the right attitude and want to win.

The more I hear from Devaney, the more I like. He doesn't give your typical PC answers or just says what people want to hear - he seems to be down to earth, is specific with his answers, and has some rock solid logic behind them. He gives me hope for the Rams' future; I just hope he can pick the right people and/or players for the vision he has.
    Thanks disco....I had not listened to the interview. From your feedback and others it seems that he knows what to say to get people excited.

I'll have to give the interview a listen. I hope this is the beginning of something special. It all starts at the top. Maybe Devaney will bring the right people and attitude to the Rams.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

The more I hear from Devaney, the more I think he is absolutely the right guy to be running things- and the more excited I am about next season. There's certainly much to be done and to be played out before we anoint Billy Devaney "executive of the year" but I like everything I've seen and heard thus far. It is clear to me he has a vision and wants to win.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

I love how he mocked our offense not working the middle of the field...was definitely a shot at Saunders. Another great interview, this guy really knows what this team needs!

eric2810 is offline Registered User

I was listening to the mp3 on my ipod earlier, and I agree that what Devaney has to say makes you feel quite optimistic for the future. He handles Bernie's questions pretty good too, and he has a sense a humor.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

If there is a mistake Devaney might be making isn't having enough "football" sense consultants help with the HC hunt. Shaw, is too much an accountant, where as Chip and Sis never really had their hands involved with football much less the Rams.

First, the organization needs to be in place. And then find a canidate that fits the system. Where the system pays off is that the Rams can acquire the missing elements that improve the team which is part of an overall plan.

Still, till there is a new HC for the Rams, just have to wait and see what develops

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon
    If there is a mistake Devaney might be making isn't having enough "football" sense consultants help with the HC hunt. Shaw, is too much an accountant, where as Chip and Sis never really had their hands involved with football much less the Rams.
    Dragoon, from what I've been reading the plan is the "LA 3"'s involvement won't be much more than sitting in on the final round of interviews. From what Devaney has said so far (and I hope like everything he's painting an accurate picture), they will rubber stamp his decision; and his true grassroots consultants will be actual football guys like Beathard, McCutcheon, Dierdorf, and Faulk.

I'd say there's more football people involved in the decision making at Rams Park now than there has been in a loooooooong time.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod