Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Devany offically GM

From Rotoworld:

According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, the Rams have formally promoted Billy Devaney to the role of general manager.
    We'll just have to see how this works out. Devaney's first draft didn't exactly take the league by storm and his track record is far from impeccable in previous locales. That said, he can't be any worse than Jay Zygmunt, the man Devaney is replacing. The Rams still have a heck of a long way to go.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Re: Devany offically GM

Shaw steps down, Devaney is promoted by St. Louis Rams
    By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

The restructuring of the Rams’ front office continued Wednesday with the resignation of team president John Shaw and the promotion of personnel chief Billy Devaney to general manager. On Monday, Jay Zygmunt, the president of football operations and GM, resigned.

Shaw will be retained by the club as senior adviser and owner’s representative.

“I’ve been blessed to have worked for one of the great NFL franchises the last 29 years and had the good fortune of working with two terrific owners, Georgia Frontiere and Stan Kroenke,” Shaw said in a statement. “I look forward to continuing my working relationship with Stan and welcome the opportunity to work with Chip (Rosenbloom) and Lucia (Rodriguez).”

Devaney joined the Rams this year as executive vice president/player personnel. As GM, he’ll be in charge of all football matters with the team. Devaney is expected to spearhead the Rams’ search for a new head coach after the season ends Sunday in Atlanta.

All for now . . . happy holidays to all.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Wow, things are happening fast. This a great start to the shakeup that was necessary. 2009 already looks better.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

I thought his first draft was a fine one. Definitely don't under that semi-negative comment towards it:

1. Chris Long - Potentially dominating DE, has shown potential to rush the passer, but more importantly play the run
    2. Donnie Avery - Definitely proved the scouts wrong, has good hands and instincts, needs to work on routes
    3. John Greco - Has looked more than solid when he's had a chance
    4. Justin King - Showed major potential in preseason. Injury shut him down.
    4. Keenan Burton - Showed major potential in preseason just like King. Injuries have slowed him down.
    5. Roy Schuening - Stuck of practice squad.
    6. Chris Chamberlain - Major special teams contributor with 16 tackles, all on special teams.
    7. David Vabora - Good value for Mr. Irrelevant. In limited time, has showed he can hold his own and not be overwhelmed, even in the middle.

Looks like a pretty darn good draft to me.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    From Rotoworld:
    Devaney's first draft didn't exactly take the league by storm
    Is he talking about his first draft here in St. Louis, or his first draft overall?

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    I thought his first draft was a fine one. Definitely don't under that semi-negative comment towards it:

1. Chris Long - Potentially dominating DE, has shown potential to rush the passer, but more importantly play the run
    2. Donnie Avery - Definitely proved the scouts wrong, has good hands and instincts, needs to work on routes
    3. John Greco - Has looked more than solid when he's had a chance
    4. Justin King - Showed major potential in preseason. Injury shut him down.
    4. Keenan Burton - Showed major potential in preseason just like King. Injuries have slowed him down.
    5. Roy Schuening - Stuck of practice squad.
    6. Chris Chamberlain - Major special teams contributor with 16 tackles, all on special teams.
    7. David Vabora - Good value for Mr. Irrelevant. In limited time, has showed he can hold his own and not be overwhelmed, even in the middle.

Looks like a pretty darn good draft to me.
    I agree. Maybe it hasn't "taken the league by storm", but it's a solid draft none the less.

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

This is all great news! Thank you Chip!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

TheTalkOfTheArch is offline Registered User

nice going, next step deciding on Haslett or a new Head Coach. How soon do u think we'll find out about that? I'm thinking 2 weeks after our season.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

trying to read between the lines,with the timing of these front office moves i think we gonna be looking at a totally new HC,as come next week the Co-ordinators of the teams with byes in the play-offs will be allowed to talk to other teams looking for new HC`s...i suspect atleast 6 teams will be looking to bring in new HC`s once their seasons have finished...i think Singletary has the niners gig in the bag,but probable and possible teams looking for new HC`s could be..KC,Cincy,Raiders,Lions,Chargers (hell when you think about the fact a 14-2 season got Marty the sack..im surprised Norv hasnt been fired already!) Jags,Jets,Bills,Browns etc...
    so these moves come across to me as an aggressive move towards getting their top man for the HC`s Job!
    if they had already decided to give Has another season or more..i dont see the point of Chip making these moves until the off-season.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Jay and John gone in the same week. Can I be dreaming?! For those that weren't around for all of the mistakes or egotistical changes made by these two nuts in the 80' and 90's in LA, it is kind of like getting rid of Moammar Kadafi and Saddam Hussein of the football world on the same day. At least it is for me.

I haven't felt this good since I took a knee after Super Bowl 34 ended and I could finally say, "the Rams have won the Super Bowl!"

Joe
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Mooselini is offline Registered User

What an XMAS!!! This is a great start. Soon we will be hearing if the Haz will be released or not.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Here I was griping that the Rams need to make changes like NOW as noted in an earlier blog I posted:

Its too quiet...

Now sooner then I finish my gripe...Ziggy is gone, Front office is on the remake and things are happening now. Perhaps, maybe positive changes are in the offering.

Personally, if I had my say in it I would have hired Cowher to conduct part of a team to find a GM, Director of player personal, and etc. It would be too much to think Cowher would take HC possition himself but the opportunity to add CZAR of opportations to rebuild an organization, I am sure he would jump at the chance to work for the Rams for 5 months

RealRam is offline Registered User

Indeed, it seems our 2008 season does have a silver lining after all.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Don't be too concerned with the commentary by the RotoWorld hacks. Its a fantasy football site, after all.

richtree is offline Registered User

This draft will be key....especially rounds 3 , 4 , 5.....

Also if we can sign and impact Free Agent ...that will change everything....

Dont forget to Draft Kenny Britt in round 2.........kidd is stud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast