Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: *DEVELOPING STORY* - NFL Finds Saints, Gregg Williams Used "Bounty" Program

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

*DEVELOPING STORY* - NFL Finds Saints, Gregg Williams Used "Bounty" Program

The NFL has reportedly just finished an investigation and concluded that the Saints used a "bounty" program from 2009-2011, rewarding defensive players for inflicting injuries. Former Saints and current Rams DC Gregg Williams was apparently directly involved.

No word on possible penalties against Saints and/or Williams.

Stay tuned.

Re: *DEVELOPING STORY* - NFL Finds Saints, Gregg Williams Used "Bounty" Program

Schefter's Tweets on the story:

NFL investigation of Saints began in 2010 when allegations were made that Saints targeted QBs such as Brett Favre and Kurt Warner.

Discipline for the Saints could include fines, suspensions and forfeiture of draft choices.

NFL determined that former Saints DC Gregg Williams administered the program with knowledge of other defensive coaches.

Investigation reviewed 18.000 documents totaling more than 50,000 pages. Commissioner Goodell will determine the discipline.

NFL security determined between 22 and 27 defensive players on the Saints, as well as at least one asst. coach, maintained a bounty program.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Um.... thats not good

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

"
    The program runs in violation of league rules, and the investigation showed that Saints players received $1,500 for a “knockout” hit and $1,000 for a “cart-off” hit with payouts doubling or tripling during the team's three playoff appearances. The program also entailed payments for interceptions and fumble recoveries, which also violates league rules against non-contract bonuses. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell will determine the appropriate discipline based on the investigation, the league said in a statement. "

This is why I wanted us to grab Gregg Williams. Finally people will fear playing the Rams defense..
    Tampa_Ram and Dwight Frye like this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Sosa39rams View Post
    This is why I wanted us to grab Gregg Williams. Finally people will fear playing the Rams defense...
    LOL!!! Fearsome Bountysome.
    Tampa_Ram and sosa39rams like this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

So, did Fisher know about this when he hired him or not?

(seems questionable there was an actual bounty program as I read it. Sounds more like a collective bonus competition between the players and the coaches. The players added the most money to the pool it sounded like with the coaches throwing some into the pot.)

shower beers is offline Registered User

Perhaps that's why he made the lateral move? It'll be interesting to see how this develops.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Meh... whatever I don't see anything wrong with it... if belicheat got away with a slap on the hand im not worried...

BTW i like his mindset as a defensive coach... the NFL is going to turn into flag football in about 5 years

As I don't know the details of this alleged "bounty" system, I'm not going to comment on the ethics of the matter (though, I will say that I disagree with those who have indicated that they would condone a practice of trying to injure opposing players).

From a practical standpoint, if Willams is suspended by the league over this, the Rams would have to consider replacing him, depending on the extent of the suspension (i.e. would it prohibit him from attending training camp, etc.?).

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Uh huh. Players would never do that absent a shot at a bounty.
    Not that I condone it, but this is going to be sensationalised beyond belief.
    Last edited by VegasRam; -03-02-2012 at 05:59 PM.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

If there's punishment handed down from the league I think the Saints organization will receive the worst of it and not so much Williams himself.

Sorry though, I can't condone this. I'm all for getting rid of the softy-cone pushover culture around Rams park, but don't do it by taking out other players and head hunting.
    Last edited by Fettmaster; -03-02-2012 at 06:08 PM.
    jkramsfan and NJ Ramsfan1 like this.

On the positive side, though, the Rams' second round pick may be about to move up to the #32 selection overall!

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Case in point - everybody's favorite, Clay Mathews takes out Bradford (for the season) on a meaningless last play of the game. don't remember hearing anything about it.

All good defensive players are headhunters, and if you disagree, you're kidding yourself.
    I know, I know - go all out on every play. Packers are up 24-3, but let's go get the QB.
    I just hope the Rams' offensive players remember this the next time they play GB.
    THOLTFAN81, Tampa_Ram and ManofGod like this.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

You trying to tell me defensive players dont try and knock a key piece of the opposing team out of the game to improve their odds of winning? Nothing knew here...
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

I think they should take away the Saints' first round pick.......that would annoy Belicheick

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast