Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Dez Bryant? (sorry if in wrong section)

Stone Cold Tavon Austin is offline Registered User

Dez Bryant? (sorry if in wrong section)

On Thursday night, the St. Louis Rams lost quarterback Sam Bradford’s go-to target, wide receiver Danny Amendola, to an injury in the early part of the second quarter.
    They had needed help for Bradford on the outside before that unfortunate circumstance, but the necessity is even more pronounced now.
    Les Snead, GM of the Rams, might want to make a phone call down to Dallas and see about acquiring a maligned, yet ultra-talented receiver: Dez Bryant of the Dallas Cowboys.
    Because the cost to acquire Bryant was heavy for the Cowboys, the asking price of any trade suitor may be the same.
    Dallas has recently shown a propensity to take major risks on talented wide receivers with high hopes for them, only to see them not work out so well for the team in the long run.
    Terrell Owens was productive statistically for Dallas but ultimately couldn’t bring home a Super Bowl and therefore was looked upon as a failed experiment. He was compensated handsomely for his services.
    There’s Roy Williams, who the team acquired in 2008 for first, third, sixth and seventh-round draft picks. He caught 94 balls in 40 games with the Cowboys, converting them for 1,324 yards and 13 touchdowns.
    Al Messerschmidt/Getty Images
    After agreeing to a deal worth $20 million guaranteed, those turned out to be some mighty expensive receptions.
    And then there’s Dez Bryant. Bryant is only in his third year of experience in the NFL and should have plenty of time to turn around his currently disappointing career.
    Dallas anted up a first-round draft pick (even trading up in the NFL draft) to select him in 2010 despite his character-issues-induced free-fall.
    Of course, we all know the rest: in his third year, he just notched his second career 100-yard game in front of millions of eyes on Monday Night Football. While that should be exciting for most young players, Bryant has too much talent to be content with that.
    In addition, the triple-digit yardage is little distraction from the fact that he had a pretty bad game on prime-time television.
    He’s gained a lot of negative attention recently, most notably from former occupants of his jersey number saying he hasn’t acted as if he deserves to follow their legacy.
    Perhaps a change of scenery would do him some good.
    Given St. Louis’ current depth chart at wide receiver, the Rams may be looking to add talent at the position in the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft.
    They may not have to do so if they trade for Bryant, by using draft picks to pursue him rather than acquiring a current collegiate star.

Brian Quick is assuredly looked upon as a first-round talent by St. Louis. He was selected 33rd overall (first pick of the second round) ahead of guys like Georgia Tech’s Stephen Hill (now of the New York Jets) and North Alabama’s cornerback Janoris Jenkins (Jenkins was selected six picks later by the Rams) in 2012.
    Hill caught two touchdowns in his NFL debut, but has been dealing with injuries since. The reason Jenkins has been in the news is that he has certainly been playing like a first-round talent early on, rather than dealing with off-the-field issues that caused his draft stock to drop in the first place.
    Chris Givens gives the Rams a vertical dimension that it had been lacking in recent years, evidenced by his first career touchdown: a 51-yard rainbow caught in stride on the left sideline.
    Brandon Gibson has done some downfield work for St. Louis, but the trouble is that the receiving corps hasn’t yet proven able to consistently get open on the outside.
    Bryant has been able to do that, despite the other flaws in his game.
    St. Louis should have the requisite draft pick ammunition and salary cap space (or potential to create it) to acquire Bryant and absorb his contract this season. It has two first-round picks in each of the next two drafts in addition to its normal array of selections after the first round.
    Bringing Bryant in to play under a veteran head coach in Jeff Fisher should help him regain focus and earn a lucrative second contract.
    The Rams may also need a player like Bryant in the near future: Gibson, Amendola and Steve Smith are all scheduled to be unrestricted free agents following the season.
    If each of those players were to walk, St. Louis would be left with Givens, Quick and Austin Pettis at the wide receiver position.
    While each of them has shown some promise in their respective early careers, there’s a reason Bryant was expected to be a high first-round draft pick when he came out of Oklahoma State.
    The Rams shouldn’t have to invest that in order to get him now. (Per Bleacher Report)

Just curious what do yall think?

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

Re: Dez Bryant? (sorry if in wrong section)

In a heartbeat,this kid has the talent to be a monster and Sam would have a ball throwing to him.His physical skill sets are amazing.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i would offer our 2nd round pick for him..or a 3rd and a 5th.

anymore and i`m not interested.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Meh, I'd rather let Quick develop, the guy's too much of a headcase. Jenkins was mistaken for being a significant one but turned out to be a responsible, young man.
    RealRam and ManofGod like this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

No thanks. One of the most overrated young players I've seen in a long time. Way too immature and stupid to be making money. Seems to me like he doesn't give a damn about football, only collecting checks. I wouldn't be mad if we did trade anything past a 3rd for him, but for now I think I'd roll with what we got (or trade for someone I like, Mike Wallace maybe?).
    THOLTFAN81 and ManofGod like this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Trevor is offline Registered User

I'm happy with what we got, with Amendola out, someone has to step up.
    ManofGod likes this.

viper is offline Registered User

Is Greg Salas still on the Patriots practice squad?

live4ramin is offline Registered User

How about a deal for some OL help?
    ManofGod likes this.
    "The horror"

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

I would be willing to give up a 2nd for him. I think Jeff fisher can turn this guy around. Other than Calvin Johnson, I think Dez Bryant his the most raw physicals wide receiver talent in the league.

However this article is just a guy with a suggestion. Would love to see some legs behind this before the trade deadline, or maybe this off-season. I definitely prefer him over a lot of wrs in the league, including mike wallace
    jsimcox likes this.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Maybe even a second and future fourth

Rambos is offline Registered User

Smith will hold it down until Danny comes back. I think Smith will play better in the slot then he has on the out side.

citr92 is offline Registered User

smith also is averaging a career high 16 yards a catch, and he hasn't dropped a pass yet

i want to see him play more, and with danny out, he will

hope he makes the best of it

swatter555 is offline Registered User

Not even remotely interested. The price would be way too high anyway. We need all of our draft picks.

Plus, the problem this year is not the recieving corps (though they did poorly on Thursday), it is the offensive line. Until you fix that, your just fiddling around the edges of the problem.

Haste is offline Registered User

If Jerry would somehow let him go for just a 3rd, then i'm all for it. I think it would be better going after a free agent at the moment like Chad Johnson to fill in for a few weeks. He was doing good in training camp before his incident and has had no problems before that. Not to mention he would take the vet min which is always nice.

richtree is offline Registered User

Dallas isn't trading him unless they are out of the NFC East chase....that had one bad loss on MNF to one of the best defenses in football...

the dallas cowboys don't play for next season...they try to win a super bowl every year...

They are 2-2 (1-0) in div

they will be in the playoff hunt all year.....

They basically have a good team if they can figure out the Oline and make a change....

W/o Dez they don't have enough offense to play this season....

so forget about this until unless they are 2-7.....or more

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast