ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

Diamond in the rough?

Somewhere on this field is the Rams' future. The good news is that for a change, the Rams went through an entire draft without dabbling in any exotic or experimental adventures. They went for solid, sensible selections. You hope the high draft picks like Adam Carriker, Brian Leonard and Wade become instant hits. But you also look out there and wonder which one of these unknown dreamers like Pettway, Shaine Smith, Markee White or Keith Jackson could be the next million-to-one shot to become an NFL star.
    From STL today..... http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...6?OpenDocument

RnD

GO RAMS!!

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Re: Diamond in the rough?

It's time to take a chance on the young guys. When your ranked 31st in total defense you don't exactly have a lot to lose.
    Last edited by mikhal5569; -06-13-2007 at 11:07 PM.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mikhal5569 View Post
    It's time to take a chance on the young guys. When your ranked 31st in total defense you don't exactly have a lot to lose.
    Actually Holt and Bruce are not getting any younger we need proven players every where we can gewt them. Why should we take a chance on a bunch of young guys if we don't have to? We need to win in the next year or two. Maybe Carriker does better in his first year then our other three 1st round DT's did in theirs. Maybe another young guy steps up and becomes a run stuffer at the other position. But counting on two young DT's coming up big enough to improve us from 31st to 16th middle of the pack on run defense over the next two years is a lot to wich for. After we had to wait as long as we did on the young DTs we have drafted. Now we wan't two to step up right away.

I don't think the idea in improving should be you don't have a lot to lose lets gamble. IMO you should do what you think is best to improve and IMO that is getting a know quanity DT that has played in the NFL and can stop the run alongside Carriker. Remember Glover is our only veteran DT and he was a part of the 31st rank D. I have high hopes for Carriker. I am fine with three DL spots Little, Carriker, and Hall/Adeyanju. I am not happy with the other DT spot I think since we were second to last in the NFL we should not count on that same guy Glover coming back and improving when he is at the end of his career. We can't say Carriker is the answer to the run defense because he has never played in the NFL. I would really liked to have seen a veteran run stuffing starting DT to play along side Carriker as he learns through out his rookie year. Then I would feel a lot more comfortable about our run D. I would like to see us improve to middle of the pack say 16th. Without a veteran starting DT that might be hard to do.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -06-13-2007 at 11:33 PM.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Mikhal5569 June 13, 2007, Ram Fan, Logical, Intuitive.......All Seeing

This is how it should read in the archives for our grandchildrens grandchildren to read.
    Semper Fi!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    Actually Holt and Bruce are not getting any younger we need proven players every where we can gewt them. Why should we take a chance on a bunch of young guys if we don't have to? We need to win in the next year or two. Maybe Carriker does better in his first year then our other three 1st round DT's did in theirs. Maybe another young guy steps up and becomes a run stuffer at the other position. But counting on two young DT's coming up big enough to improve us from 31st to 16th middle of the pack on run defense over the next two years is a lot to wich for. After we had to wait as long as we did on the young DTs we have drafted. Now we wan't two to step up right away.

I don't think the idea in improving should be you don't have a lot to lose lets gamble. IMO you should do what you think is best to improve and IMO that is getting a know quanity DT that has played in the NFL and can stop the run alongside Carriker. Remember Glover is our only veteran DT and he was a part of the 31st rank D. I have high hopes for Carriker. I am fine with three DL spots Little, Carriker, and Hall/Adeyanju. I am not happy with the other DT spot I think since we were second to last in the NFL we should not count on that same guy Glover coming back and improving when he is at the end of his career. We can't say Carriker is the answer to the run defense because he has never played in the NFL. I would really liked to have seen a veteran run stuffing starting DT to play along side Carriker as he learns through out his rookie year. Then I would feel a lot more comfortable about our run D. I would like to see us improve to middle of the pack say 16th. Without a veteran starting DT that might be hard to do.
    What veteran starting DT do you want?
    Its all well and good saying this, but who was available that would fit the bill?

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Aww gee, how foolish of me. The answer is right there in front of my eyes all this time but I just failed to see it! It's just too bad that he already signed with Denver though. Oh wait, or was it the other other answer, the guy who is currently playing in Carolina? If we get him we are guaranteed a super bowl run this year, YEEEAAAAHH!!!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Fortunately, we were only ranked 23rd in total defense.

But I get your point.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RebelYell is offline Registered User

You say to take a chance on the young guys but then basically say throw our first round draft pick under the wheels and find a high priced starter. I'm sure you won't see the obvious contradiction but others see it.

And how many years are fans going to announce that signing a free agent without regard to the salary or trading cost repercussions is going to make the difference? Do you really want to trade next years first round pick for a guy that's been injured of late and is a locker room headache for his current team?

marccat is offline Registered User

Aww gee, how foolish of me. The answer is right there in front of my eyes all this time but I just failed to see it! It's just too bad that he already signed with Denver though. Oh wait, or was it the other other answer, the guy who is currently playing in Carolina? If we get him we are guaranteed a super bowl run this year, YEEEAAAAHH!!!
    I pray you kid, and you got a small hunch that maybe... the Rams know where the're goin' and how they want to get there! I'm with it, you to ? Faith bro!