throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: The Dichotomy Of Carolina

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

The Dichotomy Of Carolina

This is going to be another interesting test of where the Rams are as a team. At 2-3, Carolina has been all over the place, especially the last few weeks. They were slammed by the Cardinals two weeks ago 22-6, then did some slamming of their own last week, beating Minnesota 35-10.

They have a great defense (7th in passing yards allowed per game, 3th in rushing yards allowed per game, 2nd in points allowed per game), and a mediocre offense (27th in passing yards per game, 7th in rushing yards per game, 19th in points per game).

With their two units at opposite ends of the spectrum, I can't wait to see how the Rams respond, on both sides of the ball. Can we run on them? If not, can we switch gears and pass on them? Can we stop their running game? Can we slow down Newton, who went from a 47.8 rating against the Cardinals, to a 143.4 rating against Minnesota?

Again, it should be interesting, and telling.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Re: The Dichotomy Of Carolina

I am stunned!!

Dichotomy just isn't a good football word.

Please don't ever do that again!!

RamDez, MoonJoe, laram0 and 1 others like this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Yes, right now Carolina has managed to produce a strange case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde in a panther. As you said, it will be interesting to see how the Rams deal with these crazy cats on Sunday in their yard.

Hopefully we will thump and thud them unconscious with our bighorns! Our big-name players.
    Randart likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I think we can pull it off. They pose a little threat on offense. Pressure Newton. Force him into stupid mistakes. When he starts to break down it seems like a never ending spiral. Don't allow them easy yards and commit to stopping the run. Defensively I don't see us having a hard time.

On offense we've gotta keep pounding it with Zac Stacy. Plenty of hand-offs. Sprinkle in some PA, hit them with a deep bomb (Givens). Show them we mean business. Score quickly and often.

THE DREAM TEAM

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

1. Shore up the run defense, which has been an embarrassment thus far.
    2. Be creative for once on offense. Continue to try and get Quick and especially Austin involved.
    3. Avoid penalties and self-inflicted nonsense which kills drives and momentum.

Carolina will not be a cake walk.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

I think you nailed with the term "interesting test." I think this is a VERY big game for the Rams. While Carolina is hot and cold, I think they are at a position where that "hot and cold" determination can be very much controlled by the opposing team. Our team has a chance to do something which can have a big impact/confidence boost to young players....win back to back ROAD games. I also believe that pushing one game above .500 at this point in the season is very critical. After Carolina we get home games against the Seahawks and the Titans and then a road game vs. the Colts before the bye. Ending up 5-5 at the bye week (or better yet 6 - 4) could be all the difference for this team as we push the final 6 game stretch. Why? Because aside from the Bucs (0-5) the 5 remaining post-bye week teams have a combined 21-9 record as it stands right now and 3 of those 5 games are divisional games ALL on the road. This weekend will definitely be an "interesting test" and could help define the remainder of the season. Confidence really is a huge part of the NFL and this young, talented team could be riding a big dose of it with another win this weekend.
    ram3057 and mde8352gorams like this.
    Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

There is not enough of a talent disparity to say conclusively that one or the other team should win.

As trite as it sounds, its all about execution. If the Rams continue to run the ball, protect the football, create turnovers, and avoid costly mistakes, they'll win. If they don't, they probably won't.

clive is offline Registered User

I've been waiting for a chance to post this pic that I tool at the Panthers/Vikings game at the weekend but there didn't seem to be an appropriate place to do so.

Supposing the Vikings score a TD at home and there are no fans in the stadium to see it, is it still a TD?

ram3057 and r8rh8rmike like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolRamFan View Post
    I think you nailed with the term "interesting test." I think this is a VERY big game for the Rams. While Carolina is hot and cold, I think they are at a position where that "hot and cold" determination can be very much controlled by the opposing team.
    My thoughts exactly. This is indeed a big game, and will go a long way in setting the tone for the rest of the season, especially the home contest against Seattle. We need to get off to good start, punch them in the mouth, and seize the momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    There is not enough of a talent disparity to say conclusively that one or the other team should win.

As trite as it sounds, its all about execution. If the Rams continue to run the ball, protect the football, create turnovers, and avoid costly mistakes, they'll win. If they don't, they probably won't.
    Agreed. We need to repeat the type of play that produced a win in Houston.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by clive View Post
    I've been waiting for a chance to post this pic that I tool at the Panthers/Vikings game at the weekend but there didn't seem to be an appropriate place to do so.

Supposing the Vikings score a TD at home and there are no fans in the stadium to see it, is it still a TD?

At least their stadium doesn't turn , say, Packer green because of inappropriately colored seating when the fans don't show up.

As to the dichotomy of Carolina, I'm very sorry to hear about it; I had no idea she was sick, never mind in need of an operation to remove her ...um.....well, I think I've taken that as far as I should.....

Seriously though, aren't The Panthers a bit like a poor man's Whiners ? Mobile strong-armed QB & strong defense ? Interesting test.
    ram3057 likes this.

panthers55 is offline Registered User

I doubt that the Rams can run on the Carolina front four. They have faced some good running teams in Seattle, the Bills and the Vikings and none of them have done that much. In fact last week Peterson had 33 yards in the first 15 carries and got off one run for 30 yards when the backups were in. A lack of a running game will force the Rams to be one-dimensional having to pass the ball to move it. Now that could mean decent things for Bradford if they blitz where he has a passer rating of 112. However that rating goes down to around 60 if he is pressured and the secondary says intact.

Two of the three games the Panthers have lost were on the road where they really haven't done well. At home they played tough against Seattle giving up a very late TD and crushed the Giants. In any case they have surrendered a total of 12 points at home or 6 points a game. The issue for the Rams will be whether they can score enough points to win on the road. The Panthers have enough firepower to put up points on anyone if they play focused. The problem has been that in each of their losses they have made critical mistakes that kept them from scoring. Against both the Cardinals and the Bills they dropped a number of critical passes that would have resulted in big gains and TDs. Against Seattle they ran the ball down Seattle's throat very late only to have Williams fumble the ball inside the 10 when they were about to score the go ahead TD. The question for them will be which Panthers team shows up, the one that can run and pass on anyone or the team that will make critical mistakes and miss easy opportunities to score.

To beat Newton you have to pressure him but not give him lanes to run. You need to mix up coverages to confuse him and be stout against the run (which no one has done yet). You have to make him throw short and not give him time to throw deep. Whoever wins the turnover battle will win the game.

panthers55 is offline Registered User

If repeating what the Rams did to Houston means Bradford passing for 117 yard and running for less than a 100 yards then that won't get the job done. If it means cause multiple turnovers and have the defense score multiple times, then yeah that would do it to most any team.

Quote Originally Posted by panthers55 View Post
    If repeating what the Rams did to Houston means Bradford passing for 117 yard and running for less than a 100 yards then that won't get the job done. If it means cause multiple turnovers and have the defense score multiple times, then yeah that would do it to most any team.
    If Bradford passes for 117 yards, 3 TD's, and no INT's, like he did against Houston, it'll mean something is going right, including an effective running game. If the Rams combine that with limited mistakes, and a defense that can make some plays, we'll be in good shape. I don't think we need to have the defense force multiple turnovers. or score multiple times to win the game.

No one is taking the Panthers lightly, because they're a wild card, a wild card with a great defense. But like the Rams, they still haven't proven anything substantial.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

This will be a tough game. Our defense has to contain both Williams and Newton. On the offensive side our O-line has to protect Bradford against the strong pass rush of the Panthers. Our defense & special teams stepped up last week and forced turnovers and scored points. This week I'm calling for a special teams TD from Tavon Austin and that will be the difference.
    Last edited by laram0; -10-17-2013 at 01:24 PM.

punahou is offline Registered User

if you follow fantasy football.... Cam has been good 1 week and bad the next to a T. He was good last week, so all indicators point to bad week this go around. You cant dissuade Universal Karma.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast