Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Dick V. comments in the Washington Post--WOW

WOW, am I shocked by this...completely disagree

Was Jim Haslett All The Rams Needed?
    By Dick Vermeil | October 20, 2008; 1:34 PM ET

Haslett Not the Difference
    People are entitled to their opinion, but firing Scott Linehan had nothing to do with the Rams' turnaround. I know this team very well and it was inevitable that they were going to start winning. They had a tough schedule the first few weeks, but the difference maker came against Washington.
    The Redskins dropped the ball. They let the Rams hang around. St. Louis ended up beating a team that the was better than them, and sometimes that's all it takes to get going. From there they marched all over the Dallas with confidence. The Cowboys are not a good football team right now -- they're not playing well, but the Rams played with great intensity.
    It takes a little while sometimes to get that winning feeling, especially coming off the kind of year the Rams had in 2007. Getting the win in Washington helped them break the ice. I remember my first year coaching St. Louis we dropped the eight straight games. You get so down mentally that when things start going badly you think, here we go again. Then when you get that first win against a team as good as the Redskins, the frame of mind changes. It takes the edge off. People go back to work with smiles on their faces.
    You see this now in St. Louis. And the coaching change has nothing to do with that. All the coaches were there when they were losing. This is not to take anything away from Jim Haslett, who is a great coach, but if Linehan had been there this still would have happened.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Re: Dick V. comments in the Washington Post--WOW

I love you Dick Vermeil but you are out of your mind. This team was not buying anything Linehan had to say. He lost SJ at the benching of Bulger. I think he lost Holt and Bulger last season. If a coach can not get the players to buy into what they are selling he has lost his effectivenees as a coach.
    :ramlogo:

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

All the respect in the world for DV - but NO WAY is this happening with Linehan still on board. No way, ever. I'm not ready to call Haslett a genius or anything (his defense has still been terrible for a couple of years) but the firing of Linehan really injected energy into this team.

You could argue that this would have happened without Haslett as the headcoach, with someone else in charge as the interim coach instead that the Rams would still be energized like this and playing their hearts out. That's possible.

But you cannot argue that this could have happened with Linehan. No way in Hell.

ardavandavari is offline Registered User

you have to be on crack... How do u think we won against washington... luck? no... Jim inspires them. scotts a tard

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    I remember my first year coaching St. Louis we dropped the eight straight games. You get so down mentally that when things start going badly you think, here we go again.
    Yes I remember your first year in St. Louis also Dick and even after breaking your 8 game losing streak no real progress was made until the FO all but forced Martz on you and he said he wouldn't take the job unless Tony Banks was gone ( the guy you wanted to keep as the starting QB). And let's recall last year when Scoot's Rams lost their first 8 then beat a decent Saints team (at their place no less) and then we promptly lost 6 out of our last 8 games. Where was the turn around last year?

Look Dick you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but somehow I think ya'll need to lay off that wine you've been hawking lately. I mean enough is enough already!!

WHAT SAY YE?

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

yeah, he's kind of contradicting himself saying that it just takes something to get going, like a win. Well, in this case, it was Haslett providing a spark, which resulted in a win, which then got them going vs. Dallas.

Time will tell, but I think the one thing missing with Linehan was accountability. I think every player on this team, under Haslett, knows that his job is on the line, and a backup will start, if he doesn't perform week in and week out.

Doesn't mean the X's and O's are any better, just helps with execution.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

The League Panelists - Smart takes from players, coaches, and people in the know about the NFL.

Here's the link to the whole conversation where several pundits are dissing Linehan. Not that I disagree with most of it but taken in context, it sounds as if big-hearted DV is reacting as a fellow coach to comments by guys outside the coaching fraternity. I mean who are these guys? Except for Reeves,who says nothing about Linehan, I don't know any of them.

Btw, I agree with most of what DV said apart from the suggestion that the turnaround would have occurred with Linny. Possible but unlikely.

Glad we didn't have to find out. Bottom line.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
    All the respect in the world for DV - but NO WAY is this happening with Linehan still on board. No way, ever. I'm not ready to call Haslett a genius or anything (his defense has still been terrible for a couple of years) but the firing of Linehan really injected energy into this team.

You could argue that this would have happened without Haslett as the headcoach, with someone else in charge as the interim coach instead that the Rams would still be energized like this and playing their hearts out. That's possible.

But you cannot argue that this could have happened with Linehan. No way in Hell.
    Could'nt have said it better myself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

That was the typical diplomatic answer. Blah, Blah, Blah....

There's no doubt that the headcoaching change has made a difference. For whatever reason the players had no respect for Linehan and have taken to Haslett and trust him.

Haslett being a former player in the NFL might have something to do with it. He knows how to relate to the team and what will and won't gain their trust and respect. Also he witnessed first hand what was going on between the players and Linehan. I'm sure he saw alot more eye rolls than we did and knows what brought it on.

Whatever it is that Haslett is doing, Linehan wasn't!

Sorry D. V. but I'm not buyin' what you're trying to sell.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Sounds like Vermeil is stoned.

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

I'd like to know where Dick V bought his crystall ball. To come out and make such a bold statement, (not a "In my opinion comment"), is just obsurd.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Leave him alone! He might start crying!! Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! Linehan is gone good riddance!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Now you did it...I bet Dick is blubbering like a baby now.

Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post
    I love you Dick Vermeil but you are out of your mind. This team was not buying anything Linehan had to say. He lost SJ at the benching of Bulger. I think he lost Holt and Bulger last season. If a coach can not get the players to buy into what they are selling he has lost his effectivenees as a coach.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Dv worked it out in his 3rd year when the team was ready to walk out on him. so he probably feels that linny could have turned it around. But linny aint no DV. But i was real glad that hasslett was brought in. hated him as a Saint, But love him as a RAM!!!!!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Sounds like Dickie V. has really mastered "Coachspeak" ..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast