throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    moklerman Guest

Did anyone enjoy...

Everybody Loves Raymond as much as I did? I mean, that's what I had to switch the channel to after a while. I kept flipping back, hoping that by not watching the game it might spark a big play. I tried all the superstitions I could think of.

But, my fears were realized and I got to relive the embarrassment of being completely outclassed in the playoffs. In this age of parity, I assumed, gone were the days of the Rams being throttled by someone in the postseason. Anyone remember having to go against the likes of the Niners, Redskins or Bears? I had that same exact feeling today as I watched a one-dimensional offense spank the Rams' defense like a red-headed, step child.

Just like the 80's, all I could think was: "what the hell are the Rams even doing in the playoffs?". How can a final four(NFC) team be so outclassed? It's pointless to even go into detail about all the same old issues the Rams have had the past three or four years. Has anything changed since 2000? Have any of the team's weaknesses been improved since then? After giving up, what was it, 270 yards against Carolina last year the Rams and Martz focused on bringing in a running back. That worked out well.

Speaking of running backs, why exactly did Marshall earn so much pine time? He started off the game well, established enough of a threat to enable play action to be effective and then...hit the bench! I thought Martz like to keep running something until it didn't work? And, I'm sorry but I'll be damned if I'm going to be happy about being force-fed Eli Ma--uh, Steven Jackson just to justify or prove how smart of a pick he was. At least Faulk can convert a third and one or catch a freakin' swing pass.

I guess this is better than in 2000 or 2001 when I thought the team going in, should actually win in spite of their faults, but I can't say that this game did anything other than add to the block of memory that I keep tucked deep inside my brain. Just like those late 80's teams under John Robinson, I now have a 21st century edition to block out. Even last year's playoff loss was something that I could go back and re-examine. Although disappointing, it was somewhat respectable. But, maybe...just, maybe this will force the Rams to make some significant changes. I don't know which one's they need to make to accomplish it, but obviously special teams and defense are what need to be addressed. Just like in 2000, 2002 and 2003. But at least the high powered offense that carries us put up 17 points. That makes all the neglect of personnel and units that comprise 2/3 of a team worth it.

Just to add to the insult/injury theme, is Marc Bulger's injury plagued career now starting? It takes about three years in Martz's offense to show the limitations of the human body doesn't it? Just like other qb's the Rams have had, he hasn't played a full season injury free for three years straight. Some effects of the punishment he took yesterday are of the more permanent variety (broken bone in his hand? I don't know what happened to his hip/leg). How long before he's missing even more significant playing time? 2002-2 games missed due to injury. 2003-only missed a half but took some beatings. 2004-missed almost three games due to shoulder. It's going to start adding up folks. Is it just bad luck or is there a reason the Rams have lost three starting qb's to injury since 1999? That's not including all the backups that have gone down as well. The one position that should be a source of stability for someone as in love with qb's as Mike Martz, is in a constant state of flux.

Ch-ch-ch-chaaanges should be the theme song around here.

SFCRamFan Guest

Re: Did anyone enjoy...

Ch-ch-ch-chaaanges should be the theme song around here.
    We need an o-line to protect Bulger. It is an ongoing theme here; along with special team's emphasis and now a new defensive coordinator.

I don't fault the offense as much in this game. By allowing the Falcons to run at will, and run up the score, we once again became one-dimensional. With a weak o-line that spells doom and gloom for the offense. And special teams, good gosh!! Anarchy!

True Mok, these are continuing themes under Martz. IMO, he needs the front office to take some of his personel and coordinator decisions away from him. Someone, with good skills, a strong personality and some authority, needs to be working things on the D. And, let the ST Coor. pick his personel without objections or exceptions!

At, 6-8 I did not expect us to be in the playoffs anyway, much less win one and continue into the next round. So, as disappointing as this loss is, the season did end on a bonus; well sort of....

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Raymond...great show....anything was better than that garbage that posed as a football game. I am also amazed at the removal of Faulk after he came out CLEARLY FIRED UP and running with major PURPOSE. The last time I saw him running that hard was when he put the team on his back and WILLED them down the field in last years playoff debacle. I guess his leadership and the 5-6 yds per clip he was averaging(when they pulled him) wasnt enuff for ol Rainy. Marshall looked pretty disgusted standing on the sidelines when they cut to him. Unless he was hurt his benching was nothing short of retarded.

Lets face it...the Rams wins over the last 3 games was nothing more than smoke and mirrors. They beat the Eagles practice squad at home...when McNabb and SOME of the starters were in they marched right down and scored on them...YAWN. They played pretty well vs the Jets but Doug Brien MISSED a game winner...just like he did TWICE yesterday. He makes the 52 yarder...the Rams are OUT. Last week Engram couldnt hold onto a ball right in his hands which would have potentially tied that game and sent it to OT. The Hawks were about as much of a legit playoff contender as the Rams were. The opposition had chances to win or tie those games right at the end and their players FAILED to execute...I didnt see the Rams make big plays which caused those failures either. All the Rams achieved by eeking out the last 2 games was being HUMILIATED in front of a national audience(which I predicted earlier) and bumping themselves down about 8 spots in the draft. Im sure Georgia and the gang thinks Ol Rainy is just great. Onto the draft...perhaps another QB or 2 to be converted into WRs or DBs!!

Yodude is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Ram Fan
    I am also amazed at the removal of Faulk after he came out CLEARLY FIRED UP and running with major PURPOSE.
    I was kind of amazed by that myself.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Yodude
    I was kind of amazed by that myself.
    Amazed and shocked was more like it. Faulk looked like pure magic and appeared unstoppable at the beginning of the game. What heart. Who could have imagined he would be shut down by Mike Martz. I'm at a loss for what the reasons could possibly be.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm prettry sure we heard after the Arizona game that Martz isn't in charge of the rotation - Faulk and Montgomery are. Why is this Mike Martz's fault then?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    I'm prettry sure we heard after the Arizona game that Martz isn't in charge of the rotation - Faulk and Montgomery are. Why is this Mike Martz's fault then?
    Good point, but then again, would Marshall bench himself? Who knows what was going on here, maybe we'll get an official explanation.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Such Arrogance

We once owned the Falcons. In fact, we often humilated them. We ran up the score for fun. Just a few years ago if we didn't score at least in the high fourties we had a bad game, and then we'd on side kick late in the game. We had RAM team-mates competing for MVP stats with Falcon feathers.

Once, not too many years ago, the RAMS were "FAST" and the Falcons were "Fat". Did you see a fat player in a red jersey Saturday night? There defense seemed to have eight linebackers in the game at the same time. Where were the RAMS linebackers? We had to tackle with 160 lb. corners.

We got stompped and we've had it comin for years. We're lucky Mora didn't on-side kick at the end of the game. I'll bet there were Falcon fans there who thought it was coming and were disappointed.

P.S. I was embarrased for Martz; using up "His" time outs in the last seconds of the game. Even spiking the ball to stop the clock. Losing badly, yet keeping the Falcons celebration at bay at his expense. Such arrogance.

moklerman Guest

P.S. I was embarrased for Martz; using up "His" time outs in the last seconds of the game. Even spiking the ball to stop the clock. Losing badly, yet keeping the Falcons celebration at bay at his expense. Such arrogance.
    Actually, I'm glad I missed this portion of the game as it would have probably cost me a tv screen. Luckily, Deborah had lost her job and Raymond was trying to...well, I didn't see it. Didn't Martz pull this same type of stunt against the Jets (I think)? The end of the first half, everyone wanting to get off the field and he's calling timeouts just because he can. Some speculated that he didn't know how many timeouts he had but I think, especially after this latest incident, he's doing it on purpose.

It's just amazing that this guy holds such a position of authority in the league and on this team. He's a big child and I think a Jim Mora (sr.) meltdown is probably in the near future.

lakerams Guest

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    Who could have imagined he would be shut down by Mike Martz. I'm at a loss for what the reasons could possibly be.
    anyone who has watched a Rams game in the last 4 years could have predicted that. Martz hates to run the football. the guy is an a** and will never change his ways.

like I said before, if it was up to him, he would eliminate the RB position and have every team just throw the ball. maybe then he could win a meaningful game.

as long as he's roaming the sidelines, the Rams will NEVER win a Superbowl.

Again, we found out a few weeks ago that it wasn't Martz that determine which running back was in, but rather Faulk and Montgomery. So it wasn't Martz who shut Faulk down.

Also, keep in mind that while (1) Martz will pass more if only because the offense uses the pass to set up the run and (2) Martz has shown a general unwillingness to run the ball when things aren't going well, the run/pass ratio in the first half favored the run up until the two-minute drill offense to end the half. Before that final drive, the Rams ran the ball 14 times while passing only 11.

Just some food for thought.

psycho9985 Guest

sneak'em back to L.A. and dont tell martz.

moklerman Guest

So it wasn't Martz who shut Faulk down.
    How many ways will Martz find a way to spin his way out of responsibility? I very much doubt that Faulk/Montgomery chose to sit Faulk down after the good start he had. Plus, the commentators stated more than once that Martz said that Jackson was going to get the bulk of the carries. Just another example of Martz making a decision based on what he thinks instead of a decision based on how things are actually going.

*)80 is GOD(* Guest

[QUOTE=Fargo Ram Fan]
    Lets face it...the Rams wins over the last 3 games was nothing more than smoke and mirrors. They beat the Eagles practice squad at home...when McNabb and SOME of the starters were in they marched right down and scored on them...YAWN. They played pretty well vs the Jets but Doug Brien MISSED a game winner...just like he did TWICE yesterday. He makes the 52 yarder...the Rams are OUT. Last week Engram couldnt hold onto a ball right in his hands which would have potentially tied that game and sent it to OT.

agreed i luv da rams but how we say in miami those last 2 wins were cags and they reflect on the defense not being able 2 stop the run(Jets C. Martin and Seahawks S. Alexander) aswell as the pass, basically not being bein able 2 stop opposing offenses. Now as for Faulk i remeber last year versus the Panthers wen it looked like the Rams were goin down and Faulk ldecided enough is enough and carried the team and help set up the TD 4 OT. Now against the Falcons he had that same look in his ready 2 play and then 2 b sat out thas a slap in the face. I woulda taken a page out of Randy Mosses playbook and walked off the field. Although we lost we had a good run as ESPN dubbed us pretenders for making the Playoffs, showed them with us goin and making it into the second round jus glad its over 4 this season for some change.

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    How many ways will Martz find a way to spin his way out of responsibility? I very much doubt that Faulk/Montgomery chose to sit Faulk down after the good start he had. Plus, the commentators stated more than once that Martz said that Jackson was going to get the bulk of the carries. Just another example of Martz making a decision based on what he thinks instead of a decision based on how things are actually going.
    Unless you're on the sidelines to see who's making the call to pull whom and play whom, I'm not sure how your suspicions equate to proven fact and further examples of some sort of behavior.

All we know is that, in a very criticized example of his honesty to the press, Martz admitted only weeks ago that he doesn't make the call about who's in the backfield - he's not the only coach who takes this approach - and sometimes doesn't even know who's back there.

Your opinion about this being spin is nothing more than that - an opinion, not fact, not proof. Just an opinion. However, there's no point continuing a debate about it, though. Your mind is already made up - it's Martz's fault, as usual.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-17-2005 at 06:45 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast