Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    moklerman is offline Registered User

Re: Did anyone enjoy...

Your opinion about this being spin is nothing more than that - an opinion, not fact, not proof. Just an opinion. However, there's no point continuing a debate about it, though. Your mind is already made up - it's Martz's fault, as usual.
    Where did I ever come up with the crazy notion that the head coach is responsible for the players that are on the field? So, now it's all Wilbert Montgomery's fault? You're actually quoting something from Martz as scripture?

I find it hard to believe that you, or any other Rams fan, is satisfied with the notion that Martz simply doesn't know who's on the field and, gosh darn what could he do? It's all up to Wilbert and Marshall who's on the field. If you buy that crock of beans then I'll just wish you well on your journey through la-la land. I think he pulled that little doozy out of his behind to try and divert questions about why Jackson didn't play in the Arizona game. I'm flabbergasted that you're arguing that Marshall chose to sit on the sideline in a playoff game. Does that really make sense to you?

"But Martz said so" you say? Has he ever said something that turned out to be nothing more than hot air? Maybe once or twice? Keep that in mind before relying too heavily on that Arizona post-game. He also said that the Rams just aren't very good and that Atlanta is a much better team. Truly inspiring words to ponder over the offseason.

Your opinion about this being spin is nothing more than that - an opinion
    Darn, you caught me. Yes, the things I post on this board are my opinion. I apologize to everyone I've been deceiving.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I know what Martz said, but how can he realistically call plays if he doesn't have any idea what personnel are on the field? He has to have a preference as to what players perform better in certain situations doesn't he? I just have a hard time buying his explanation.

Scidog68 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    I know what Martz said, but how can he realistically call plays if he doesn't have any idea what personnel are on the field? He has to have a preference as to what players perform better in certain situations doesn't he? I just have a hard time buying his explanation.

Thank You, Mike. I've been trying to get my head around that one since Arizona. How can the offensive play-caller call an effective game without being aware of who is on the field at any given time? And another thing....whether or not Marshall is on the field is irrelevant; Martz makes the pass/run decisions via play-calling, so abandoning the run is his fault, not Marshall or Montgomery's. Marshall could have been on the field for every down and, unless his number is called, he still wouldn't touch the ball.

(Sorry, Nick....Gotta call it the way I see it.)

Hooah

Win, Lose or Draw... Rams for Life!
    :football:

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Scidog68
    And another thing....whether or not Marshall is on the field is irrelevant; Martz makes the pass/run decisions via play-calling, so abandoning the run is his fault, not Marshall or Montgomery's.
    If we're referring to this game specifically, Martz didn't abandon the run until the third quarter when the Rams were trailing by double digits (I believe 18). But in general, you bring up a good point.

My only idea as to why the halfback on the field isn't as important to Martz is because he feels both Faulk and Jackson share similar skills and can be used interchangably in certain situations.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-17-2005 at 04:50 PM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    If we're referring to this game specifically, Martz didn't abandon the run until the third quarter when the Rams were trailing by double digits (I believe 18). But in general, you bring up a good point.

My only idea as to why the halfback on the field isn't as important to Martz is because he feels both Faulk and Jackson share similar skills and can be used interchangably in certain situations.
    If Martz thinks Faulk and Jackson share similar skills and are interchangable, he needs to think again. Faulk is a proven, multi-dimensional commodity when a game hangs in the balance, Jackson is obviously not (yet).

Mok made a very astute point when he said " Just another example of Martz making a decision based on what he thinks instead of a decision based on how things are actually going". This is what concerns me most about Martz. Faulk was unquestionably the more effective back but Martz failed, or refused to include that in his decision making process. Unfortunately, this is a habit I just don't see Martz ever kicking. Too bad because the man could actually be a good head coach if he gave himself a chance.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    If Martz thinks Faulk and Jackson share similar skills and are interchangable, he needs to think again. Faulk is a proven, multi-dimensional commodity when a game hangs in the balance, Jackson is obviously not (yet).
    Well, I can't really speak for Martz, but that would be my explanation as to his thinking - while Jackson and Faulk are different runners, they do share a lot of the same talents, so I wouldn't question their having similar skills. Obviously Jackson isn't at Marshall's level.

But again, he's not the only coach who takes this approach of letting other people handle who's in the backfield, and I would think there's more to deciding which running back to use than just who's running the ball well.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

But again, he's not the only coach who takes this approach of letting other people handle who's in the backfield, and I would think there's more to deciding which running back to use than just who's running the ball well.
    There is some truth to this, but when we needed to get down the field and catch-up, Marshall should have been the guy. If anything, he is a much better reciever than Jackson, especially in critical situations. Jackson did not look comfortable, especially in those critical situations.

As for Martz not being aware of what personnel are on the field, I still don't buy it. The man is a control freek, especially where the offense is concerned. It's very difficult for me to believe someone as detail oriented and meticulous as Martz would not want to know exactly who he has on the field when making play calls. It just does not add up.

Skynyrd is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    Well, I can't really speak for Martz, but that would be my explanation as to his thinking - while Jackson and Faulk are different runners, they do share a lot of the same talents, so I wouldn't question their having similar skills. Obviously Jackson isn't at Marshall's level.

Well, maybe there is but there sure as hell shouldn't be, especially in the playoffs when its one and done. The only exception I can think of would be to give a guy a rest for a play or two. Peace

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12