Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ljcrayton is offline Registered User

Did everyone forget?

I keep hearing how horrible the NFC West is. How a 8-8 or 7-9 team making the playoffs is a disgrace and all this.

I just wanna know if everyone but me forgot.

2 years ago, there was an 5-8 team named the San Diego Chargers had to win out in order to make the playoffs.

No one said how horrible the AFC West was, no one called them a disgrace nothing. Actually, they praised said Chargers for doing the "unthinkable" by making the playoffs after the broncos started 6-0.

Just wondering if everybody forgot that?

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Did everyone forget?

And there is also the 1986-87 Seattle Supersonics (now Oklahoma City Thunder) who made it far to the Western Conference Finals with a 39-43 record. This is what happens when the majority of your so-called "sports experts" give their commentary and show off their gorilla-esque IQ.

The Rammer is offline Registered User

The St. Louis Cardinals went 83-79 in 2006 to make the playoffs (and they ended up winning the World Series). The Rams were 8-8 in 2004 when we earned a wild card spot in the playoffs. This stuff happens all the time.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

But guys! This team isn't a West or East coast team! It's not a big name team either or a favorite of the media! This is a travesty!!!

*sigh*

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

The Rams made it in at 8-8? Wow, re-seed the playoffs.

The Coybows made it in at 8-8? Wow they definently deserved it!
    Last edited by sosa39rams; -12-30-2010 at 09:59 AM.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

The NFC west sucks, why does everyone keep arguing against it? Let everybody else talk about it who cares? Why don't we just go out there and take care of our business.

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

Not only did the Chargers make it in, but they won the first round game.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

This cry session happens every year, either its an 11-5 team that might not make it or like us 8-8 and sneaking in. If I could say something to all of those that cry about it I would simply say "win your division and quit crying, that's how it works!"
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If Seattle wins and goes in with a 7-9 record, I can see why some will complain, particularly given how badly the Seahawks have lost their 9 games (avg. of 20+ point margin).

If the Rams win, I think the media will acknowledge that they earned their way to the playoffs with a great turnaround season, but they will complain that the Rams should not get to host a Wild Card team (likely the Saints) with 10+ victories.

I have no problem with the notion that home field should be awarded to the team with the better record, but anyone who suggests that a division winner (regardless of record) should not make the playoffs is just off base, in my opinion.

macrammer is online now Registered User

Are you telling me the mainstream media is biased ?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ljcrayton View Post
    I keep hearing how horrible the NFC West is. How a 8-8 or 7-9 team making the playoffs is a disgrace and all this.

2 years ago, there was an 5-8 team named the San Diego Chargers had to win out in order to make the playoffs.

No one said how horrible the AFC West was, no one called them a disgrace nothing. Actually, they praised said Chargers for doing the "unthinkable" by making the playoffs after the broncos started 6-0.

I get what you're saying, but I think it's kind of a different situation. I don't recall anyone saying the Raiders or Chiefs were particularly tough that year, but the Chargers were coming off of four consecutive winning seasons and were in the AFC Championship game the year before. For them to make the playoffs, even in a down year with an 8-8 record, probably wasn't viewed as a big shock or outrage, since they'd nearly been to the Super Bowl the year before in an 11-win season. As for the Broncos, they crumbled in the final three games of the year but IMO weren't as bad overall as the Seahawks have been this year. This wasn't the season Denver started 6-0, but they did have a winning record through the vast majority of the season.

I do think part of the story for the Rams, should they win on Sunday, is going to be their turnaround from a one-win team to a .500 team who won their division, but yeah some will probably question their place in the race, mostly since two nine-win teams will be left out. But everyone knew going into this season what the playoff rules were. Division winners get an automatic bid. You can win your division with a far worse record than what the Rams or even Seahawks may end up with.

I agree with Av, if they want to talk about reseeding the playoffs based on win/loss record, I'm fine with that. But any discussion about getting rid of the automatic bid for division winners is ridiculous, because if that's the suggestion, then there's no point in even having divisions anymore.

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    If Seattle wins and goes in with a 7-9 record, I can see why some will complain, particularly given how badly the Seahawks have lost their 9 games (avg. of 20+ point margin).

If the Rams win, I think the media will acknowledge that they earned their way to the playoffs with a great turnaround season, but they will complain that the Rams should not get to host a Wild Card team (likely the Saints) with 10+ victories.

I have no problem with the notion that home field should be awarded to the team with the better record, but anyone who suggests that a division winner (regardless of record) should not make the playoffs is just off base, in my opinion.
    Agreed. If the Seahawks manage a win on Sunday, there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth around the NFL. I also agree that a division winner should ALWAYS make the playoffs. I do not however, agree with many that a team with a better record, that IS NOT a division winner should get the home game. There are just too many variables. If that happens, we'll have teams that had harder schedules being punished for their accomplishment. Don't you think people will cry "foul" over that as well?

If the issue is a consistently weak division, then maybe it's time to shuffle the deck, so to speak. I'd rather see a shake-up in the divisions than trying to tweak the playoff system. I know people don't like change. However, sometimes change is good. If the changes were made, I think it would be important to keep historical rivalries in mind whenever possible.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    I do not however, agree with many that a team with a better record, that IS NOT a division winner should get the home game. There are just too many variables. If that happens, we'll have teams that had harder schedules being punished for their accomplishment. Don't you think people will cry "foul" over that as well?
    Maybe, but I think the number of people crying foul over that situation would be far fewer than those crying foul over an 8-8 or 7-9 division winner hosting a playoff game against, say, the 11-12 win defending Super Bowl champion New Orleans Saints.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ljcrayton View Post

The chargers did make the playoffs 2 years ago on an 8-8 record but I do not believe the Broncos started off 6-0... 2 years ago Mike Shanahan was still coaching the Broncos sir. They started off 6-0 under Josh Mcdaniels first year. But it is a shame that everyone is just throwing the NFC west under the bus. IF THIS WAS THE NFC EAST THEY WOULD SAY HOW HARD THAT DIVISION IS AND BLAH BLAH BLAH...

LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

The chargers at 8-8 had 14 pro bowlers or some big number like that. I think they just have bad luck with that injury bug in the beginning of that year. It happened to them again this year. Half their o-line was out the firt 5 games. Plus they had two holdouts this year.

I agree a 7-9 team like the seahawks who have been terrible this year would piss alot of people off. Should a team like that host the Saints, Falcons, perhaps Green Bay? I do not even know if the Rams should be hosting a playoff game.

The Rams are a young team that has had a great turn around. They have played consitant football even in the losses. Yes we lost 8 games but most of those games were lost in the 4th quarter. Seattle was blown out and just emberassed in many games this year. Including a beat down when they played against us. I think the playoffs should remain the same with all division winners going but seeding should be applied by record.
    Last edited by LaRamsFanLongTime; -12-30-2010 at 02:02 PM.
    LET'S GO DODGERS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast