Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Did the Rams Make a Mistake?

Did the Rams make a mistake when they promoted Martz as head coach? Should they have made Lovie Smith head coach in view of Chicago's success?

LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Did the Rams Make a Mistake?

When Martz was hired, Lovie Smith was the linebackers coach in Tampa. Martz hired Lovie as defensive coordinator in 2001.

BigDaddyPace is offline Registered User

This is true.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Ooooooooooooooops!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Drew is offline Registered User

Peter Giunta`s SB winning D scored 9 TD`s and had more team sacks than anyone in the NFL in 1999 a candidate for a HC job you think?
    well the whole NFL didnt think so or didnt have a place open for him as he ended up being hired as secondary coach for KC when Dickie V took over at Arrowhead and in last years offseason was hired to be secondary coach for the Giants!

I was gutted when both him and later on Lovie left,in the case of Lovie i really thought back then that we was letting go of someone that may be a better HC than Martz- yeah i am more into having a Great D than a Great O and yes i know its easy to say now but it`s what i felt at the time only i wasn`t around here for you to hear my screams of despair!!!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Damione Lewis, Adam Archuleta, Ryan Pickett, Tommy Polley, Brian Allen, Jeremetrius Butler, Robert Thomas, Travis Fisher, Courtland Bullard, Jimmy Kennedy, Pisa Tinoisamoa, Dejuan Groce, Shane Walton, Kevin Garrett, Scott Shanle

these were the defensive players drafted while Lovie was with us. The only one who has really done anything is Pisa, the others have been rubbish or had one good year.

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Damione Lewis, Adam Archuleta, Ryan Pickett, Tommy Polley, Brian Allen, Jeremetrius Butler, Robert Thomas, Travis Fisher, Courtland Bullard, Jimmy Kennedy, Pisa Tinoisamoa, Dejuan Groce, Shane Walton, Kevin Garrett, Scott Shanle

these were the defensive players drafted while Lovie was with us. The only one who has really done anything is Pisa, the others have been rubbish or had one good year.
    Most of those guys haven't cut it,Shanle was a big surprise this year.Those wasted draft picks have haunted us the last few years,instead of building a defense we simply frittered those picks away..:l

Rambos is online now Registered User

Ryan Pickett yeah I wish we still had him.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post

Everyone seems to overlook his point. Lovie has such a unique system of defense that he impliments. The whole point of the defense that he implimented here was to have a fast fast defense that could get 3 and outs, fumbles, or interceptions. That way the defense could give the ball back to the high powered offense that we had. Do you guys remember that season when we had 42+ turnovers on defense and we led the league? That was under Lovie. All those players where playing for him then. The problem is that once he left we were left with a group of players that were made soley for the purpose of getting the ball back to the offense. Now they don't have the mastermind behind the defense and they bring in someone else who implimented a new defense. It was like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, it just didn't work.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Can we all please cut the crap with the revisionist history and watch the tape of the detroit game at the end of the 2004 season and the playoff game against carolina. Watch the great lovies defense get shredded and not show up in both key games. Watch the great lovie fail to make any adjustments of any kind in the carolina playoff game as we gave up nearly 300 yards rushing and couldnt get a pass rush except leonard.

It never ceases to amaze me how selective the memories are regarding some of our beloved rams former players and coaches. Why is lovies defense better in chicago than it was for the rams? Because he has better players, end of story.

Dont ever forget that lovie wanted jamie duncan and got him. Lovie wanted damione lewis, not marcus stroud.

Lovie has done very well with the bears and i am very happy for him. It was an excellent hire as defensive coordinator in 2001 and with A LOT of help from the aeneas williams trade and an unstoppable offense that had the defense playing with big leads every week, lovies defense was dramatically improved over the collapse in 2000. To suggest that we should have gotten rid of martz, who at the time had the highest winning percentage i believe of any coach in the history of pro football and hired lovie is nothing more than 100% 20-20 hindsight and total crapola.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Yeah they made a mistake in not convincing Vermeil not to retire! we would have had 2 more rings for sure!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    To suggest that we should have gotten rid of martz, who at the time had the highest winning percentage i believe of any coach in the history of pro football and hired lovie is nothing more than 100% 20-20 hindsight and total crapola.
    At the time the Rams hired Martz, he was THE hottest and most coveted head coaching prospect in the NFL, period. I don't remember anyone calling for his head or creating any anti-Martz discussions until AFTER we lost SB 36. Before that game, everybody seemed more than content with his coaching style and his GSOT. GC is right, hindsight is 20-20.

We'll see if Lovie Smith can continue to roll the dice with Rex Grossman and win the big one. If he gets outcoached by Dungy and the Bears look ugly in defeat, Lovie better duck.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Martz was hot ,But Vermeil was such a players coach that I think they should have tried a little harder to keep him! Martz could have went somewhere else and Dick would been fine! Motivation is the key. I don't think Martz motivated anyone. Seemed more of a Tyrant!
    And he will continue to move around the league unless he's with another coach who he can build with! Martz is not a solo type . It takes all coaches and players to build a great team, And some coaches stand out a little more as the leader to the success, But Martz will probably always be the coach that ran a great team into the ground! Yes hind-sight is 20/20,But I still think Vermeil would have been the answer and not to retire with that great team he had! I still Believe Martz gave them an altamatum(spelling?)
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Can we all please cut the crap with the revisionist history and watch the tape of the detroit game at the end of the 2004 season and the playoff game against carolina. Watch the great lovies defense get shredded and not show up in both key games. Watch the great lovie fail to make any adjustments of any kind in the carolina playoff game as we gave up nearly 300 yards rushing and couldnt get a pass rush except leonard.
    gc ....let's not reference those two games as key games for Lovie. He was already half way out the door and thinking about a new team, interviewing, and a new Head Coach position. I don't think he was focused for those two games and it cost us. He put Jason Sehorn in for the Carolina game and that decision alone probably cost us the game.

It's ultimatum theodus69, and Martz probably did force the FO to make the call.

I was upset when Lovie was leaving, but I don't think the FO had any reason to pick Lovie over Martz then. Martz brought Marmie in and things fell apart on the defensive side. If Martz had chosen a better DC, we would not be having this conversation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Where in the hell was George Allen when we needed him?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast