Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Did the Rams screw up?

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Did the Rams screw up?

I've been thinking about it and did we screw up by getting Bradford before he had someone that could catch.

Look at every other QB that started out. Cam has Smith, Luck has Wayne, Stafford has Johnson, Ryan has White, and Dalton has Green.

So should we have picked up a WR before we picked up a QB?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Did the Rams screw up?

No. Next question.
    laram0 likes this.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

While having better players around Sam from the start would have been nice, I don't think the team "screwed up" by selecting their franchise quarterback first because, well, now they have their quarterback, which is the most important and in many cases the most difficult need to fill.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Who says that we have " our quarterback" ? I'm still not sold on Bradford yet!!!
    Fargo Ram Fan, mh-i and ManofGod like this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by rNemesis View Post
    Who says that we have " our quarterback" ?
    Jeff Fisher, Les Snead, Stan Kroenke, Kevin Demoff, Brian Schottenheimer, Frank Cignetti...
    lostsoul likes this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by rNemesis View Post
    Who says that we have " our quarterback" ? I'm still not sold on Bradford yet!!!
    Let's stay on topic. The question was should we have drafted other positions before we drafted Bradford. It is a fair question, kind of like: what comes first, the chicken or the egg? I believe the answer is much easier with regard to the selection of Sam. Putting it charitably, the Rams have been far below stellar the last few years, but even so, when was the last time we had the #1 overall pick prior to, or after the 2010 draft?

When a team has the chance of picking any player available in a particular draft, and the QB position is one of immediate need, that is the time to pull the trigger. So - NO - the Rams didn't screw up. Having the #1 overall is a rare event even for relative bottom feeders. For those who question Sam's abilities, no problem, start a new thread.

One might look to the Colts for reaffirmation on this issue. Look at everything that went down in their neck of the woods. The Colts "seized the moment" as they knew that moment would likely not occur again any time soon. They had a pretty good QB before Luck, but having the #1 overall, they knew what they needed to do ..
    Last edited by MauiRam; -11-07-2012 at 05:56 PM.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Let's stay on topic. The question was should we have drafted other positions before we drafted Bradford. It is a fair question, kind of like: what comes first, the chicken or the egg? I believe the answer is much easier with regard to the selection of Sam. Putting it charitably, the Rams have been far below stellar the last few years, but even so, when was the last time we had the #1 overall pick prior to, or after the 2010 draft?

When a team has the chance the pick of any player available in a particular draft, and the QB position is one of immediate need, that is the time to pull the trigger. So - NO - the Rams didn't screw up. Having the #1 overall is a rare event even for relative bottom feeders. For those who question Sam's abilities, no problem, start a new thread.

One might look to the Colts for reaffirmation on this issue. Look at everything that went down in their neck of the woods. The Colts "seized the moment" as they knew that moment would likely not occur again any time soon. They had a pretty good QB before Luck, but having the #1 overall, they knew what they needed to do ..
    What he said.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    While having better players around Sam from the start would have been nice, I don't think the team "screwed up" by selecting their franchise quarterback first because, well, now they have their quarterback, which is the most important and in many cases the most difficult need to fill.
    Thats true I just feel Sam kind of got the short end of the stick compared to the other QB's that started out. I wish we had a more established WR corp for Sam to work with.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

The QB position in the NFL is the most important, hands down. I'm of the opinion that you build around your QB not vice versa.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Well, lets plug some actual names into this: In the 2010 draft when we selected Sam, with the #1 pick, would you rather have had us take the QB (Bradford), or one of the other skill position guys taken in the 1st round (CJ Spiller, Ryan Mathews, Demaryius Thomas, Dez Bryant, Jahvid Best)?

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    I've been thinking about it and did THE RAMS screw up by getting Bradford before he had someone that could catch?
    No. They screwed up by not having an offensive line that could protect him. Hiring Josh McDaniels ended up being a major "screw up" as well.
    ManofGod likes this.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mikhal5569 View Post
    No. They screwed up by not having an offensive line that could protect him. Hiring Josh McDaniels ended up being a major "screw up" as well.
    Extremely well put. A healthy and cohesive O-line and continuity of system have been far greater factors in slowing Sam's development.
    Nick likes this.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

A QB on the roster is worth 2 in the draft. You could look back over the past 3 years and say there are QBs they could have drafted later after building the team but you can't go back 3 years and look forward.

punahou is offline Registered User

suh is the better pick
    good players make things happen through force of will.

I wasnt sold on him draft time and im not now.

a track record of games like 17/24 with 190 yards 0 tds doest show me he has what it takes to elevate a team.

just look at our own team for affirmation-

steven jackson puts up good numbers despite whatever this tesm lacks and has lacked.

matt ryan, andy dalton, and even ryan tanehill have entered the nfl with a bang.

sure bradord went 7-9 his 1st year, but he has akaways had a penchant of not being able to out uo tds when in the red zone.

that being said, remember this- in spags and devaney we shouldnt trust, and this is their guy.

id gladly take suh over brockers (we wouldnt have drafted him if we had suh) and id take matt ryan, andy dalton, russel wilson over sam.

at least they demonstrate they care and give a damn. sam is overtly reserved....

anyhow thats my opinion and ive stuk, and am sticking to it.

goodnight im off to the gym!

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    I've been thinking about it and did we screw up by getting Bradford before he had someone that could catch.

Look at every other QB that started out. Cam has Smith, Luck has Wayne, Stafford has Johnson, Ryan has White, and Dalton has Green.

So should we have picked up a WR before we picked up a QB?
    Just wondering is that a list of QB's "supposedly" better than bradford or QB WR combo the never won a playoff game?

Eli was a #1 pick he started with Amani Toomer and Jeremy Shocky

This team is being built; remember bradford won 7 games his first year and he was the offensive rookie of the year

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast