Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Did the Rams screw up?

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Re: Did the Rams screw up?

At this point, I am with those who are not completely sold on Bradford. He simply has not instilled a confidence in me that he's going to get the job done. Of course the rest of the offense has a lot to do with that, but as far as I'm concerned, he has underachieved.

3 years in, and I still need to see more, on a consistent basis before I'm confident that he is, what we thought he was when we selected him.

But to answer the question, no we didn't screw up by drafting him before we had receivers. However, a better question IMO is..... "did we screw up by drafting him period"?

Only time will tell.
    LA Rammer, mh-i, macrammer and 1 others like this.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

I'm with whiner hater only time will tell. I was thinking once Bradford gets some decent protection and wide receivers he will excel above and beyond expectation.

Patience
    Rambos likes this.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

Kurt Warner was to Marshall Faulk like Sam Bradford was supposed to be to Steven Jackson. That to me is the best way to put it. We drafted a Qb that is supposed to get Steven Jackson more running lanes and prevent teams from stacking the box. The team already knew that we had a major overhaul at the receiver position but never really took anyone during the previous drafts so my belief is this team ultimately assumed that what we already had was good enough for Sam. lets not forget that the injuries this team has encountered up until now are still playing a very big part in what i know Sam is capable of. No doubt with a deeper receiving core we'll do better. but i still think that the Qb is and always will be the focal point of any offense. Lets hope that this season will be an eye opener for the next draft and free agent market. even if Quick, Givens, and Amendola start to find a nice rhythm before the end of the season it would be a good thing to bring in a really good vet to challenge for a spot.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    No, they didn't. He's 8 games into Schotty's system, and he looks better, period.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

sonnyjames is offline Registered User

Personally, I love Bradford. Think he has what it takes to be elite, but neither the tools nor protection.

But I still think the better pick would have been Suh.

Build a grinding D first, and build the O inside out, with the QB as one of the final, most important pieces.

Time we've built our O, Sam could have been beaten up so many times he'll mentally never be the player he could have been (see Bulger, M).

But I'm glad he's with us and I'm sure he'll continue to improve. I just think that we could have had Suh and would still have been drafting in the same position ever since (therefore picking up a very decent QB in any of the years that have followed).

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

When we where having this discussion much much Earlier I was for Suh 1sty pick and Colt McCoy 2nd round pick because I knew the o-line sucked and figured could have gotten McCoy on the cheap to be a punching bag till the Rams got an O-line and reciever core. I didnt want a $40-$50-$60million dollar QB getting brain damage and then have to find another one 3 years down the road

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyjames View Post
    Personally, I love Bradford. Think he has what it takes to be elite, but neither the tools nor protection.

But I still think the better pick would have been Suh.

Build a grinding D first, and build the O inside out, with the QB as one of the final, most important pieces.

Time we've built our O, Sam could have been beaten up so many times he'll mentally never be the player he could have been (see Bulger, M).

But I'm glad he's with us and I'm sure he'll continue to improve. I just think that we could have had Suh and would still have been drafting in the same position ever since (therefore picking up a very decent QB in any of the years that have followed).
    This year IMO he has not taken nearly the beating he took last year and his rookie year. I have watched every game and I saw a lot of hits he took after the ball was out, waiting on the longer routes to develop last year.

That said the O line needs to get more talent ASAP.

I looking forward to seeing how Wells plays, he was our big time FA pick up and we have seen only a half from him. He should help a lot!

fearsome foursome is offline Registered User

Back to the original question: Bradford has had a couple of decent receivers. He had Brandon Lloyd last year and Donny Avery and Laurent Robinson have not looked too bad. Amendola is not too shabby either. We spent a bundle on O-line now for years and still don't have too much to show for it. Hopefully Wells will be a difference maker. Give Bradford some time to throw and he'll look just fine with the receivers we have.(Could use a pass catching tight end though).

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    This year IMO he has not taken nearly the beating he took last year and his rookie year. I have watched every game and I saw a lot of hits he took after the ball was out, waiting on the longer routes to develop last year.
    Some numbers to consider from Pro Football Focus about Sam when under pressure...

2012 (8 games)
    Dropbacks: 99
    Hits: 7
    Hit %: 7.1%
    Sacks: 23
    Sack %: 8.5%
    Total Pressure: 35.2%

2011 (10 games)
    Dropbacks: 137
    Hits: 12
    Hit %: 8.8%
    Sacks: 36
    Sack %: 9.2%
    Total Pressure: 34.3%

2010 (16 games)
    Dropbacks: 219
    Hits: 17
    Hit %: 7.7%
    Sacks: 34
    Sack %: 5.4%
    Total Pressure: 34.2%

So, some things to note...

-When under pressure, Sam is being hit less on average this season than in his previous two seasons.

-Sam is being sacked less on average this season than he was last season, but still significantly more than his rookie season.

-The total pressure Sam was under as a rookie and under Josh McDaniels was, according to PFF, statistically similar. Sam's highest percentage of dropbacks under pressure per total dropbacks is actually this season.

One possible conclusion to draw from this information is that we're watching a quarterback who is growing in terms of his ability to move in and out of the pocket to avoid pressure or get rid of the ball when there is impending pressure.

The sack percentage in 2012 is still too high, however. That's likely a problem in which Bradford and the offensive line share to some degree.

It's worth noting that, when previous Rams quarterbacks Kurt Warner and Marc Bulger had down years, percentages in the high 7's and 8's usually accompanied those seasons. Bradford has shown the ability to bounce back after a down year in 2011, but few if any quarterbacks can continue to get sacked at the rate he's experiencing and not eventually wearing down from it.

Improving Bradford's protection should remain the Rams' priority going into this offseason, IMO.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Some numbers to consider from Pro Football Focus about Sam when under pressure...

2012 (8 games)
    Dropbacks: 99
    Hits: 7
    Hit %: 7.1%
    Sacks: 23
    Sack %: 8.5%
    Total Pressure: 35.2%

2011 (10 games)
    Dropbacks: 137
    Hits: 12
    Hit %: 8.8%
    Sacks: 36
    Sack %: 9.2%
    Total Pressure: 34.3%

2010 (16 games)
    Dropbacks: 219
    Hits: 17
    Hit %: 7.7%
    Sacks: 34
    Sack %: 5.4%
    Total Pressure: 34.2%

So, some things to note...

-When under pressure, Sam is being hit less on average this season than in his previous two seasons.

-Sam is being sacked less on average this season than he was last season, but still significantly more than his rookie season.

-The total pressure Sam was under as a rookie and under Josh McDaniels was, according to PFF, statistically similar. Sam's highest percentage of dropbacks under pressure per total dropbacks is actually this season.

One possible conclusion to draw from this information is that we're watching a quarterback who is growing in terms of his ability to move in and out of the pocket to avoid pressure or get rid of the ball when there is impending pressure.

The sack percentage in 2012 is still too high, however. That's likely a problem in which Bradford and the offensive line share to some degree.

It's worth noting that, when previous Rams quarterbacks Kurt Warner and Marc Bulger had down years, percentages in the high 7's and 8's usually accompanied those seasons. Bradford has shown the ability to bounce back after a down year in 2011, but few if any quarterbacks can continue to get sacked at the rate he's experiencing and not eventually wearing down from it.

Improving Bradford's protection should remain the Rams' priority going into this offseason, IMO.
    Thanks Nick good stuff.
    Nick likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12