Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Did you ever feel like...

Did you ever feel like if you had one day with the Rams FO and an unsigned player (i.e. Steven Jackson) that you could get a deal done?

Maybe its because of what I do for a living, but sometimes I have a hard time comprehending the difficulty in getting a guy signed. Truth is, one of the biggest problems is that a lot of the agents really are not good at engaging in the kind of productive give-and-take that is necessary to work out a deal. They seem to instead take a "give us what we want or we're not signing" approach.

In Jackson's case, everyone knows that he's going to get a lot of money and end up a one of the highest paid RBs in football. Both sides want to get a deal done, and they should be locked in a room together until a contract is signed. This whole "I'm not reporting to camp," and "we're not going to negotiate until you report" is just silly.

Just sit down and work it out. And, if you need my help, I can be on a plane w/in 24 hours. My rates are very reasonable.

thoey is offline Registered User

Re: Did you ever feel like...

Hell, I'd do it for the cost of the plane ride if it would get the deal done...
    This space for rent...

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

A game on Jackson's behalf to miss as much of training camp as possible?

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Did you ever feel like if you had one day with the Rams FO and an unsigned player (i.e. Steven Jackson) that you could get a deal done?

Maybe its because of what I do for a living, but sometimes I have a hard time comprehending the difficulty in getting a guy signed. Truth is, one of the biggest problems is that a lot of the agents really are not good at engaging in the kind of productive give-and-take that is necessary to work out a deal. They seem to instead take a "give us what we want or we're not signing" approach.

In Jackson's case, everyone knows that he's going to get a lot of money and end up a one of the highest paid RBs in football. Both sides want to get a deal done, and they should be locked in a room together until a contract is signed. This whole "I'm not reporting to camp," and "we're not going to negotiate until you report" is just silly.

Just sit down and work it out. And, if you need my help, I can be on a plane w/in 24 hours. My rates are very reasonable.
    No, because Jackson is an egotistical,greedy,un-dedicated,loud mouth,me,me,me guy, and doesnt care about anything but himself and the team means squat (sarcasm). So there is no way the front office can get this done because Jackson is just to hard to deal with.
    Just Fix It

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I suppose that's possible, but at $15K per day, I'd think he'd want to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    No, because Jackson is an egotistical,greedy,un-dedicated,loud mouth,me,me,me guy, and doesnt care about anything but himself and the team means squat (sarcasm). So there is no way the front office can get this done because Jackson is just to hard to deal with.
    Methinks you are trying to get a rise out of me, Sir. Tsk tsk.

I suppose that's possible, but at $15K per day, I'd think he'd want to be there.
    Small potatos.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

And that is part of the problem, laram0, is that yes, it's not small potatoes(don't forget the 'e', Mr. VP) to us, but to him when he looks to make upwards of $17-20 MILLION this year because of his signing bonus, $15K a day is pretty much nothing.

As for Av's original question, I'm just an engineer, but I agree that it really shouldn't be that hard if you really wanted to get a deal done. I mean, sure, each side has their "don't go above/below" number which obviously is not going to intersect, but that's why, as Av said, you lock yourselves into a room until you get a deal done.

I think there are three main issues as to why deals seem so hard to get done. One, the agents. They're supposed to represent the player, however, they get a percentage and so they're trying to make the most money for themselves as well, which is not always in the best interest of the player, such as getting into camp. They also do play the, "give us what we want or no deal" card way too much.

Two, guaranteed money. Obviously, each side wants more or less, however, I think this becomes a particularly major issue for RB's and unproven players because they really represent how much faith that the player will play out most of the contract. RB's get hurt frequently and unproven players... well that's obvious. They bust. This could be where the Jackson negotiations are stalling out.

Three, all of the newly created clauses and such. Contracts have become so complicated with roster bonuses and workout bonuses and incentives that just to get the working correct and all the values to be what both sides can agree upon is just shear craziness. All the games to play with the salary cap really just makes the whole game unfair. Real life needs to be like Madden: salary and signing bonus. That's all.

So, to sum it up, agents suck, and all of the guaranteed and incentive money sucks.

Jackson, just get into camp, the Clan will get your back and get your contract. Go win us a super bowl.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

My rates are very reasonable.
    What's reasonable ??

Milan is offline Registered User

Small potatos.

Not exactly...Steven's set to make $600,000 this year. If he misses one week of training camp, that's $105,000...1/6th of his yearly paycheck...if he misses all two weeks of training camp, that's $210,000...1/3rd of his yearly paycheck.

moklerman is offline Registered User

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner. Whatever he gets fined will be added to whatever contract he eventually signs and it won't cost him a thing and he will have skipped training camp. Hardly a new tactic.

Quote Originally Posted by Milan View Post
    Not exactly...Steven's set to make $600,000 this year. If he misses one week of training camp, that's $105,000...1/6th of his yearly paycheck...if he misses all two weeks of training camp, that's $210,000...1/3rd of his yearly paycheck.
    You're comparing the costs to his present paycheck. What about the rest of his income??? Commercials, Steven Jackson (RAMS) apparel and whatever else? I'm sure he or his agent will have any fines covered in the next contract one way or another.

I agree, 15 grand per day is huge to most.

Again, small potatoEs
    Last edited by laram0; -08-01-2008 at 02:58 PM.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

You're comparing the costs to his present paycheck. What about the rest of his income??? Commercials, Steven Jackson (RAMS) apparel and whatever else? I'm sure he or his agent will have any fines covered in the next contract one way or another.

I agree, 15 grand per day is huge to most.

Again, small potatoEs
    Now I could be wrong since I don't know him personally, but if I had to guess I'd say he lives a lot more...comfortably..than I do, just based on the way athletes tend to do things..This is the part I don't know. Does he have to write a weekly check, or does it come out of his pay for next year? If he's getting fined and he has to cough up the money right there, it seems to me he'd have a little trouble coming up with a third of his salary. BUT if it comes out of his pay for next year, and he's getting a monster deal, it wouldn't be as big a deal(for him to lose) if his agent can get more in guaranteed money.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

It just gets taken out of his game checks this year. So no, if he continues his holdout, they just demand more money to pay for the fines...

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Oh ok, well then yea, most likely it won't hurt him in the least, thanks TekeRam...Maybe someone can help me out on the logic of the holdout. He wants a new contract. I get that. Fine. But the Rams FO said "we'll get you one, but not if you're out of camp" So to get a new contract he DOESN'T come to camp?? If he wants to be there so bad, and the Rams won't negotiate if he's not in camp, what does he have to gain by holding out??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast