throwback week

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

A direct Linehan quote--OMG

Words out of the coaches mouth. UNBELIEVABLE!!

"Linehan, too, defended offensive coordinator Greg Olson’s calls. “We have to change things, but the play-calling is fine,” Linehan said."

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Re: A direct Linehan quote--OMG

Sorry coach but the play calling isn't fine.

This thread should be interesting. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Kudos to Jared Cook for saying what needed to be said about being outplayed and outcoached vs the Cards.

itsguud is offline Registered User

How many WR screens can you run?

I hate that guy.

fearlessone is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Words out of the coaches mouth. UNBELIEVABLE!!

"Linehan, too, defended offensive coordinator Greg Olson’s calls. “We have to change things, but the play-calling is fine,” Linehan said."

And most of you posted that MM was the worst HC ever!!! Well me thinks there is a new kid on the chopping block that makes MM look like a genius during the worst of his tenure.

Linesham must GO!!!!!
    Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Well, I'll still bang on about the offensive line limiting his hand here, but I would say that we need to see a dramatic improvement from Olsen and soon or I'm afraid to say that the decision will be made for Linehan. We saw some good things from Olsen last year but it seems that the whole unit is in a funk that it's struggling to get out of.

Thing is, if you change it up now, who do you put in his place?

What's your alternative?

BigGameMN Guest

The play-calling is fine?? Did Linehan take a shot to the head during the game that nobody saw?? Get this man some medical attention stat!!

general counsel is offline Registered User

does it occur to anyone else that as soon as we get near the 10 yard line we run consecutive running plays up the middle every time before we have to throw on third and long.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I agree that it is a practical impossibility to fire Linehan right now and bring in another HC (unless you want to promote Haslett, which I hardly think is the solution). Still, it seems to me that a lot of people may soon be off the "you have to give him at least 3 years" bandwaggon.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Obviously the injuries to the offensive line are going to back you into a corner with what you can and can't call, but Olsen has taken that too far IMO and has gone too conservative in an attempt to compensate for those injuries. The play-calling definitely was not fine, and if Linehan truly believes that (he may just be trying to protect his coordinator) then we may be in deeper trouble than we first thought.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

MikeB1603 is offline Registered User

Linehan defends his players and coaches all the time, he is quicker to blame himself than he is with others. I don't believe this quote is his true opinion, if it is however... forget it, I don't even want to think about that.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB1603 View Post
    Linehan defends his players and coaches all the time, he is quicker to blame himself than he is with others. I don't believe this quote is his true opinion, if it is however... forget it, I don't even want to think about that.
    I agree. This falls into the same category as Martz defending Marmie. No way can he really think the play calling is fine, which is why he looked to be very active on the headset with play card in hand today. I just hope he doesn't follow Martz' lead in stubbornly supporting an assistant coach that could very well drag him down.

BigGameMN Guest

Well I've seen no evidence that Linehan believes something is wrong with the playcalling. What is scary is I believe him when he says he thinks nothing is wrong.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I agree that it is a practical impossibility to fire Linehan right now and bring in another HC (unless you want to promote Haslett, which I hardly think is the solution). Still, it seems to me that a lot of people may soon be off the "you have to give him at least 3 years" bandwaggon.
    Bandwagon?

Haven't heard that round here for a while and never in conjunction with an attitude that would largely be seen as avoiding the 'Microwave mentality' as reported by the reverend himself.

As ever though, as easy it is to jump on the bandwagon of a movement or even a party, its far easier to to be relentlessly negative. Its actually quite challenging to try and find the positive in what is admittedly, a pretty difficult situation for one and all and still remain objective.

It will become increasingly difficult to maintain such a position as the losses mount, as I suspect they will, but no amount of demands for the heads of coaches/players/kickers will change the fact that this is and was always going to be a three year deal.

Its hard to see a season disappear in a raft of losses and recrimination as we only have so many seasons of football ahead of us, but I'll be damned if I'll join in the cacophany of 'Fire <insert here>' on the basis that the team aren't doing quite as well as I had hoped. For one, that kind of negativity just weighs down on you after a while and in addition it makes those seasons where you do get round to winning a lot more special.

Not to mention of course, that it rarely, if ever, actually works.

But this is just the way I and some other posters on this board roll, and we realise that our convictions aren't shared by all, but accusations of bandwaggoning, born of the frustration of losing, just aren't warranted I'd suggest.

There's a festival float around here somewhere, I'm just not sure I'm the one on it.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

If the play calling was fine then he wouldnt have to support it or mention it and it wouldnt be an issue on this or any other board.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post
    I'll be damned if I'll join in the cacophany of 'Fire <insert here>' on the basis that the team aren't doing quite as well as I had hoped. For one, that kind of negativity just weighs down on you after a while and in addition it makes those seasons where you do get round to winning a lot more special.

Not to mention of course, that it rarely, if ever, actually works.
    You mean, except for the last time the Rams fired a Head Coach after two seasons and hired the Head Coach that would build a Super Bowl Champion?

You know what is the funniest thing about your reaction, FP? In the years I've been on this board, I've been labeled a rose-colored glasses wearing, Pollyanna, optimist far more times than I've been accused of being a vanguard (see, I can use SAT vocabulary words too) of negativity. That fact alone might give you pause to consider whether perhaps, with respect to this rare subject on which I appear to be severely negative, I might just have a point.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -09-23-2007 at 11:46 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast