Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Disappointed, but...

While this game was a loss, it is so far different than the first four games of the season, that I consider this to be a continuation of the turnaround we've seen under Haslett.

Without Steven Jackson, on the road, against a banged-up, but still very good New England team, and it went down to the wire.

Not a "moral victory" (that term is meaningless, in my opinion), but a good effort nonetheless.

A few general thoughts:
    1. The Rams can't protect Bulger - particularly without the threat of Jackson to keep the defense honest.
    2. Pittman did a nice job, but he's no Jackson.
    3. Avery is really really for real!
    4. Chris Long too!
    5. Man, Torry Holt has gotten old quickly.
    6. Please re-sign Atogwe and Bartell!
    7. OT is the biggest need in next year's draft.
    Onward!

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Re: Disappointed, but...

Agreed.

Also, i want to point out that

1. We need to capitalize on first downs. All we've done is get stuffed on the runs on first downs today. We need to come out passing, because without Jackson, Avery and Burton are our really only weapons.

2. Our secondary needs to improve.

3. Our run defense was good all around, but Kevin Faulk broke a couple of key runs.

4. We really had no qb pressure on Cassell except for Long's two sacks.

5. Our O-line was outperformed.

6. Like Avenger said, OT will be our biggest priority.

7. We need better playcalling.

Close game though, didn't turn out the way we wanted it to, but at least it showed that the Rams kept on fighting.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    While this game was a loss, it is so far different than the first four games of the season, that I consider this to be a continuation of the turnaround we've seen under Haslett.

Without Steven Jackson, on the road, against a banged-up, but still very good New England team, and it went down to the wire.

Not a "moral victory" (that term is meaningless, in my opinion), but a good effort nonetheless.

A few general thoughts:
    1. The Rams can't protect Bulger - particularly without the threat of Jackson to keep the defense honest.
    2. Pittman did a nice job, but he's no Jackson.
    3. Avery is really really for real!
    4. Chris Long too!
    5. Man, Torry Holt has gotten old quickly.
    6. Please re-sign Atogwe and Bartell!
    7. OT is the biggest need in next year's draft.

Onward!
    I agree with all of those. I do wonder how much of the gameplan was made with the intent of having Jackson in the lineup; some of those plays seemed like they would have been better with Jackson.

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Seriously Torry Holt is useless, he is almost as bad as Bennett. I hate to say it but Issac Bruce might outlast holt as an effective wide receiver.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Agreed.

Also, i want to point out that

1. We need to capitalize on first downs. All we've done is get stuffed on the runs on first downs today. We need to come out passing, because without Jackson, Avery and Burton are our really only weapons.

2. Our secondary needs to improve.

3. Our run defense was good all around, but Kevin Faulk broke a couple of key runs.

4. We really had no qb pressure on Cassell except for Long's two sacks.

5. Our O-line was outperformed.

6. Like Avenger said, OT will be our biggest priority.

7. We need better playcalling.

Close game though, didn't turn out the way we wanted it to, but at least it showed that the Rams kept on fighting.
    How do you figure we need better play calling? I thought Al called a solid game. We kept the Patriots in front of us on D all day. We just did not execute ....

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

I'm not as disappointed with the loss as I thought I would be. To think that the Rams are anywhere close to a playoff team this year is asking a bit too much. There were a ton of positives in this game. The only really disappointing part of the game is that the Rams had so many chances to stop the Patriots drives on 3rd down, and so many times they couldn't. But wow, how about Avery. So much for him being a bad pick. Same with Long, he just keeps progressing. I didn't see all of Burton's catches, but I know he had a few clutch ones. There was a lot this week to give us all hope for the future.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAM-BO View Post
    Seriously Torry Holt is useless, he is almost as bad as Bennett. I hate to say it but Issac Bruce might outlast holt as an effective wide receiver.
    BINGO..... I was thinking the same thing. Is it possible we actually released the more effective wr when we let Bruce go? Holt never gets open it absolutley pathetic to watch him out there. Even against scrub db's he gets zero seperation and is no threat of going deep ever. Wonder if we had kept Bruce and released Holt if we'd be saying the same thing because from what i've seen of Ike he still looks quick.
    Just Fix It

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    BINGO..... I was thinking the same thing. Is it possible we actually released the more effective wr when we let Bruce go? Holt never gets open it absolutley pathetic to watch him out there. Even against scrub db's he gets zero seperation and is no threat of going deep ever. Wonder if we had kept Bruce and released Holt if we'd be saying the same thing because from what i've seen of Ike he still looks quick.
    really sad but true

blood85 is offline Registered User

Yes we lost, but at least the guys ARE playing for Haslett. Also Arizona lost, so we are still in the hunt, as it pertains to our division. Go RAMS! Let's hope the whiners lose.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Torry has been playing really poorly of late. It's time to go young again next year in the draft and find us another speedy receiver.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

The pass protection was bad, but Bulger made some very poor decisions today. I think that they strayed from the run game in the second half. That IMO made it easier for the Pat's D; that and the Refs......
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    How do you figure we need better play calling? I thought Al called a solid game. We kept the Patriots in front of us on D all day. We just did not execute ....
    How did the defense play well today apart from Long?
    We can't stop the run to save our life, and we can't keep Bulger clean; the hits he's taking are the reason he's passing off of his back foot. So we either have to get a mobile QB or fix our O-line.

Gotta love what you see from Burton & Avery, but as it looks this year even with a horrible offense and a sub-par QB Issac Bruce is still doing a better job than T. Holt (another dumb front office move).

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Adding my own list of general observations, some of which are similar...

1. This was a disappointing loss but certainly not a discouraging one. There are things to learn and build on from this game. A month ago this wouldn't have even been close. What's funny is now that I've mentioned that there's positive stuff to take away and that this shouldn't be discouraging, the rest of my list is going to likely be about the negatives. :-X

2. If this team doesn't open up the majority of this offensive line for competition next season, they're asking for trouble. Barron was a mess out there both blocking and in terms of penalties. Meanwhile, Richie had to remind us he existed by getting flagged on the final drive. I'm ready to see what John Greco has at RG, and I hope the Rams can find something to either push or replace Barron at RT.

3. I thought Bulger had a solid game today. Not outstanding but not horrible either. He didn't get much help from his line or the playcalling IMO, and while those rookie receivers made some plays, they also blew some blitz adjustments. He will likely shoulder much of the fan criticism from those who already don't think much of him, but he's down the list on problem areas for this team.

4. Is it possible that Donnie Avery is now our best wide receiver? Where was Torry Holt today? Heck, where has Torry Holt been all year? Aside from the amazing (read: lucky) catch he made against the Giants, Holt has looked like a shadow of his former self. The rest of the team seems to have responded and upped their game with the coaching change, but it feels like Holt is lagging behind. I remember when he talked about possibly joining the Panthers in two years, and when he said it that made me nervous. Now, not so much.

5. Chris Long, two sacks today! Congrats rook, but other than that, the Rams had absolutely zero pass rush, especially after Little went down. Even when the Rams blitzed, Cassel could pick and choose his targets. Carriker's presence was missed both against the run and the pass IMO. I think we have the makings of a good defensive line, but we need all of those parts in there working in their respective roles. We didn't have that today and it showed.

6. Special teams was not good today. There's really no other way to put it. Donnie Jones had perhaps his worst day of the season, maybe of his Rams career. Hall had one nice kickoff return but was forgetable on special teams the rest of the day (except maybe his potential gaffe near the end of the game). Coverage was not good against the Pats, as Hobbs had a 49 yard return. Josh Brown showed up again when called upon for field goals though. Money well spent.

7. We did not lose this game because of officiating. But boy, it was close. Arguably three personal foul penalties against the Pats that were not called. The disparity in penalties against the Rams and against the Pats was simply unreal. You're not going to convince me that team legitimately only made one penalty in this game (which was declined). What's sad is there's no doubt the refs make those calls if it's Tom Brady getting hit in the head or hit late. Sad, very sad.

8. Now, for some positives. If the doubters haven't finally admitted Avery was a good pick by now, today should have sealed it. He should only continue to get better, as Will Burton who really goes after the ball. It's nice to see them getting some time on the field with Bulger in the passing game. Pittman looks like a capable enough back-up, but it's obvious this team misses #39 when he's not in. Atogwe isn't perfect, but he really seems to have a nose for the ball when there's potential for a turnover. Bartell I thought was solid as well; both of those guys need to be resigned. I don't remember hearing Corey Chavous' name, good or bad. Adeyanju and Ryan made individual plays; I like their role in this D-line.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    5. Chris Long, two sacks today!
    In addition to the sacks, he also made some nice tackles and even dropped into coverage. Is this kid way above the learning curve or what??
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -10-26-2008 at 05:37 PM.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Nick what did you thing of Fakir Brown today ? I know he had the INT but other than that I thought he only played ok,I was expecting more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast