Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Torry Holt
  • 1 Post By r8rh8rmike
  • 1 Post By Yodude
  • 1 Post By Randart

Thread: Disappointments at NFLís quarter mark

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Disappointments at NFLís quarter mark

From SI. The Rams had 2 players on the list of 15.

6. Tavon Austin, WR, Rams: Our own Chris Burke recently went into great detail on how the Rams seem incapable or unwilling to use their first-round playmaker in space — an issue that was shown in glaring detail last Thursday night when the ***** beat St. Louis, 35-11, and Austin caught two passes on eight targets for six yards. This is less on Austin and more on offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, who had a full offseason to put together a plan for a player who had electrified the NCAA.

14. Cortland Finnegan, CB, Rams: Finnegan has been burned all season, but at least he’s consistent. According to Pro Football Focus’ game-charting metrics, he’s allowed a perfect 158.3 quarterback rating on 19 targets outside — and a perfect 158.3 quarterback rating on 12 targets in the slot. He’s been dealing with thigh injuries since last season, but the more he plays, the more the Rams’ opponents are going to see how much they can light him up.

What the heck happened to Finnegan this year? We all knew he's been playing bad, but according to this he hasn't even defended one pass? That's not just bad, that's play worthy of getting benched.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Disappointments at NFLís quarter mark

Both are disappointments, although Austin has shown some flashes and I think he'll come around when the Rams figure out how to use him properly, while Finnegan has been nothing short of the re-incarnation of Justin King or Tye Hill, take your pick. Hopefully the Rams figure out that he has no business being on the field.

macrammer is online now Registered User

If he plays Sunday and demonstrates the lack of skills and coverage inability, I will boo! Take that Fisher!

Trevor is offline Registered User

Probably playing clean.

Torry Holt is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Both are disappointments, although Austin has shown some flashes and I think he'll come around when the Rams figure out how to use him properly, while Finnegan has been nothing short of the re-incarnation of Justin King or Tye Hill, take your pick. Hopefully the Rams figure out that he has no business being on the field.
    You stole my Justin King joke...
    r8rh8rmike likes this.
    Si vous croyez en vous, que vous avez de la fiertť, et que vous ne l‚chez jamais, vous serez un gagnant.
    Le prix de la victoire est chŤre, mais la rťcompense en vaut la peine.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Torry Holt View Post
    You stole my Justin King joke...
    Sorry about that, but it was just do obvious.
    Torry Holt likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

According to other articles, Finnegan's problem is the Zone coverage that Walton brought from Detroit. Finnegan has played Man for most of his career, and is having a hard time (to say the least) with the shift to Zone.

Hopefully he gets the transition figured out quickly because he is looking bad right now.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Yodude is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    According to other articles, Finnegan's problem is the Zone coverage that Walton brought from Detroit. Finnegan has played Man for most of his career, and is having a hard time (to say the least) with the shift to Zone.

Hopefully he gets the transition figured out quickly because he is looking bad right now.
    Why the switch to a zone scheme? Anyone know? Our secondary played pretty well last year, I thought. Whatever happened to "if it ain't broke...don't fix it"?
    mde8352gorams likes this.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Randart is offline Registered User

The good old bend but don't break zone... Still have to execute this even if we hate it! Obviously Finnegan is hurt has been hurt and remains hurt. As Tru Johnson has been playing well in his stead seems like a simple adjustment to me. Can't cover if you can't run, and he does seem to be falling down or just plain giving up on plays. Time to seat Cort down for a while till he is good to go and let the young guys play.

What makes the zone work is LB's and Safeties doing their part to near perfection or you just get burned. Better to put only part of the defense into zones and man up with your cover guys like the corners. The hybrid or blend is used by most teams these days to go totally zone would be kinda nuts to me. Guess they worry about the youth not being able to handle their responsibilities, personally I think it is harder to read a play as it is in action and react to a spot according to what guys running in and out of your area are doing. Easier for young guys to man up and cover a guy best they can or was for most guys I know of. Just my take on what I see from our Defensive side of the ball.
    Rambos likes this.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Walton is getting ripped for our defenses poor play, but man Cort's play has been scary bad. He is getting burnt and giving up big plays. Last year he started so fast with three picks in the first three weeks. His play is night and day from last year. His play fell off last year in the second half of the season.

Cort needs to stay inside on the slot guy only and let Tru handle the outside. If he still plays bad we can move Rodney McLeod in to cover the slot.

I knew it was bad but had no idea it was this bad.
    Pro Football Focus’ game-charting metrics, he’s allowed a perfect 158.3 quarterback rating on 19 targets outside — and a perfect 158.3 quarterback rating on 12 targets in the slot.
    They might need to sit him this week until he's healthy and ready to play.
    Last edited by Rambos; -10-02-2013 at 10:18 AM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Yodude View Post
    Why the switch to a zone scheme? Anyone know? Our secondary played pretty well last year, I thought. Whatever happened to "if it ain't broke...don't fix it"?
    Excellent question. Wish I knew the answer.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

macrammer is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post

Thanks....first piece of info I have seen that has "explained" the drop off........

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Truth be told, this is probably Finnegan's final year with us. He's getting flat out beat in zone coverage, how could he possibly be better with man or press coverage. Larry Fitzgerald in game 1, Miles Austin in game 3 and Anquan Boldin last week have shown his better days are behind him. The "thigh bruise" story in my opinion is Jeff Fisher's way of benching him without embarrassing him. If we cut him after this season he'll have gotten his guaranteed money so the cap hit won't hurt much if at all.

Sorry guys, the man's a liability for us right now. We need answers quickly.

Go Rams!