NewJerseyRam is offline Registered User

The disaster of the 2006 draft

Now with Wroten washing out, the 2006 and 2007 drafts will set this franchsie back 10 years. Its a shame because they had some talent and could have been built inot a decent team with some good drafts but they put a guy in charge to pick college player who had never done that before in his career nor ran a team on his own. What a shame, I guess at least after 2 years the Rams FO finally figured out they needed other people to run the FO in Devaney, someone to run the offense in Saunders but it still took 2 years too long.

The Rams could have picked anhyone but Linny and not been worse off than they are now

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Re: The disaster of the 2006 draft

Quote Originally Posted by NewJerseyRam View Post
    Now with Wroten washing out, the 2006 and 2007 drafts will set this franchsie back 10 years. Its a shame because they had some talent and could have been built inot a decent team with some good drafts but they put a guy in charge to pick college player who had never done that before in his career nor ran a team on his own. What a shame, I guess at least after 2 years the Rams FO finally figured out they needed other people to run the FO in Devaney, someone to run the offense in Saunders but it still took 2 years too long.

The Rams could have picked anhyone but Linny and not been worse off than they are now

10 years? Isn't that a bit eccessive? If not, how many years do you think Mike Martz and company set us back with numerous 1st day busts during his tenure?

NewJerseyRam is offline Registered User

You are right the MM drafts were almost as awful, you would have thought the FO would have learned their lessons but no.

MM at least got 1-2 players to start in each draft but still awful

Keenum is offline Registered User

Not ready to say the 06 draft was horrible just yet.
    Tye Hill is due for his breakout year.
    Adeyanju may start to have a bigger impact this year.
    Klop has made a few great plays for us, but a bad blocker.
    Hagans flashed some greatness last year, although is a long shot to make the roster.
    Setterstrom has been good when called upon.

So it's not a total disaster just yet, but it's far from one of the better drafts.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Yeah, two years removed from 2006 and one year removed from 2007, we can already see how they've ravaged the team.

We knew Wroten was a gamble, and I still say risking a third round pick on someone you believe to be a first round talent is a sound move. Not every pick pans out. We've already gotten good production from Tye Hill and Mark Setterstrom. The others haven't really established themselves as much, but lots of players take time to acclimate to the NFL. As for 2007, the future looks bright for Adam Carriker, Clifton Ryan, and Jonathan Wade.

You want to talk about a total wash, look back to the 2000-2002 drafts.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

The problem with the Mike Martz drafts were that lovie smith had too much say in the defensive picks. We used so many first round picks on guys who were busts, it wasn't even funny. I believe the only defensive player left on the roster from the Smith regime is Tino and the jury is still out on him. Gotta love those "lovie-type players"!!!

As for Tye Hill- he really has to show something this year. I thought he was a reach when we took him and he really hasn't done anything to change my mind. I'm hoping he has a breakout year, but I won't be holding my breath. I think our secondary is going to be our greatest weakness this year on defense. If the NFL nails Brown again, we're pretty much screwed. Does anyone know if the Rams made any attempt to sign Wesley when the Chiefs cut him? Chavous has gotten worse every year and I don't see that trend reversing.

jjigga3000 is online now Registered User

What's crazy is only 12 players have stuck from 99-20006 and only 3 were a 1st rounder, every other first rounder is gone

shower beers is offline Registered User

We had THREE first round picks in 2001. I still can't get over that. Ugh...

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by NewJerseyRam View Post
    Now with Wroten washing out, the 2006 and 2007 drafts will set this franchsie back 10 years.
    Pretty massive exaggeration. No one is going to argue that '06 was a great class, but it's definitely not as bad as you are making it out to be, especially when you take the time to look back at where the team was going into that draft and why some of those decisions were made.
    Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Does anyone know if the Rams made any attempt to sign Wesley when the Chiefs cut him? Chavous has gotten worse every year and I don't see that trend reversing.
    The Rams staff doesn't share that sentiment about Chavous, and apparently feel pretty comfortable with back-up Todd Johnson. Besides, I don't think Wesley - who just signed with Oakland to be a back-up - offers much of an upgrade. Here's what NFL analyst Mike Lombardi said of him: "What can Wesley do for the [Raiders]? He canít cover, play in the kicking game, or run anymore. All he will do is take "Someoneís" money (which he loves to spend now) and not play."
    Last edited by Nick; -07-24-2008 at 02:31 PM.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I don't share the doom and gloom assessment that started this thread. Rather, I think the Rams have repeatedly made a mistakes that, hopefully, they won't make again. That mistake is looking for "bargains" by taking a chance on players with a lot of natural ability but questionable character. That's how you end up with the Wrotens, Hargroves and Byrds of the world.

DistantRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I don't share the doom and gloom assessment that started this thread. Rather, I think the Rams have repeatedly made a mistakes that, hopefully, they won't make again. That mistake is looking for "bargains" by taking a chance on players with a lot of natural ability but questionable character. That's how you end up with the Wrotens, Hargroves and Byrds of the world.
    You're absolutely right, Avenger. One of the leitmotifs of this year's interviews at draft time was "character". Linehan and other FO staff mentioned that particular quality more than once in relation to this year's recruits.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

The whole premise of this thread is based on a compressed, narrow view that is a result of us having a magnifying glass on the Rams, since they are our team. Think about it a minute: if we would have squeezed by the Seahawks twice in 2006 and finished 10-6, and persay, not have been battered by as many injuries last year, and finished 8-8 in 2007, would you still be as harsh on this draft class? I don't think so. On top of that, had we finished with better records, the players from these drafts that you claim have not produced likely would not have made that big a difference in the shift. No one in these two drafts could have pulled us through against the Hawks either time in 2006, we just didn't make one or two plays. Same with 2007, no one could have saved that season given the injuries and inept coaching. How can you analyze a draft class after two years particularly with the season in 2007 that was basically a wash, a season that we really have no idea what could have been had we not been destroyed by injuries from top to bottom ...

If you analyzed all 32 teams in the league, from top to bottom, you would see that every single team has made mistakes in the draft, every single team has made a steal in the draft, and every single team has had players produce that weren't expected to produce, and players that were supposed to be studs that found themselves on the unemployment line in three years. Just be glad that we are not one of these teams that is consistently drafting QB's, WR's, and RB's in the top five or ten picks only to have them fizzle out ...

These two drafts have not set this team back ten years. At this point, we cannot be sure what these drafts mean to this team. As has been mentioned in this thread earlier, many of the players that we drafted have some significant flashes or potential. If Tye Hill stays healhty, he's gonna be a very solid CB in this league. Klop could surprise us this year, as he finally has an OC who will utilize him properly. Adeyanju seems to be the surprise guy coming into camp this year. Let's have this discussion again at the end of this season, and we'll see where we stand ...

As for Wroten, this was a FIRST-ROUND talent who we took in the third. It was definitely worth a chance, and well, it didn't pan out. It's not the first time such a chance will fail. Look at Justin King, we got him way later than expected. For all we know, he could be a starter in this league for years to come. On the other hand, maybe he didn't get drafted until where he did for a reason. Same with Burton ...

What will the analysts say if Avery becomes a stud? They'll put their tails between their legs, take their ball, and go home ...

How did everybody feel about the drafts in 97, 98, 99, 2000? I bet based on what happened in 97 or 98, most would have thought we were clincally insane if we predicted a Super Bowl victory in 1999. How about Kurt Warner, Tom Brady? Everybody passed on these guys ...

I can go on and on, but when taking about draft success, for the most part, it is a wash. It's not a science, it's a guessing game. You never know what you are going to get until these guys get on the field. Colston anyone?

Let's just wait and see. This team is loaded with potential, not as deep as I'd like, but alot of potential. If a few things come together this year, and a few rookies perform, this can be a very solid, if not dangerous, team as discussed in another thread ...

Let's all just let the excitement build. This is really not the time of the year for negativity. This is a time of joy!

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    What will the analysts say if Avery becomes a stud?
    "I told you so" (queue the deletion of all blogs related in any capacity to Donnie Avery and the 2008 NFL draft)

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    How did everybody feel about the drafts in 97, 98, 99, 2000?
    I don't know about those years, but 91' was definately our best draft ever- that's when we took Todd William Lyght with the fifth pick overall!!!