itsguud is offline Registered User

Unhappy Disssapointed with the Rams Business

I am just spitting out my dissappointment with how students are used by the organization. Or at least how they appear to be used.

I am doing a joint major in Business/Russian in Memorial University of Newfoundland and am currently looking for a business (marketing/PR/HR) work-term for this fall semester. Of course my dream job once finishing school is to land a job with a major sports team, in either Hockey or Football. My #1 choice of place to work would definitly be with the Rams, #2 being the Leafs. What has been dissappointing is how hard it seems to be to get a work-term with an NFL team, the Rams in particular. It appears that first of all you can only get "unpaid" internships, which blows my mind at how they expect stdents to live without money, and secondly that there seem to be no postions of these type at all available. (note: at our university we are not allowed to accept unpaid work-terms).

Anyway, I'm just rambling becasue it appears I won't be able to work in the NFL, or more importantly with the Rams for a work-term , which was my goal when I started doing a commerce degree.

But dang I can't wait till we win the bowl this year !!!!!!!!!!1

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Disssapointed with the Rams Business

It appears that first of all you can only get "unpaid" internships, which blows my mind at how they expect stdents to live without money, and secondly that there seem to be no postions of these type at all available.
    You've answered your own question. They don't pay their interns, because they don't have to. They will get no short supply of students willing to work for free.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    You've answered your own question. They don't pay their interns, because they don't have to. They will get no short supply of students willing to work for free.

Agreed. I know I answered my own question. In fact I knew before I even thought about looking south of the boarder that there is a very Neoclassical style of management across the Country about employment. As I stated, I was just spitting out my dissappointment with the fact that because these 'southern' organizations are not adopting any current or developing HR practices, a 'student' must be forced to work for free and still sustain him/herself.

I only wanted to do a little ranting, and since my ultimate goal would be to work with the Rams franchise, then this applies to me as it is also the team which I 'look up to'.

I have found paying work-terms for other teams such as the Eagles, Raiders, Dolphins... and a few more. So then, to reply to your comment:

They don't pay their interns, because they don't have to. They will get no short supply of students willing to work for free.
    The reason you would pay these students is for good business/HR practices. The main asset of any company is its people... (you can figure this out as a sports fan)

So why pay when you don't have too? To ensure that your best asset IS indeed your best asset, and putting in everything they can while still feeling like a valuable part of the organization. Read any HR book written in the last 10 years they will all tell you the same thing.

"The better your employees feel about the organization, the harder they work to make the organization better."

bruce4life is offline Registered User

i am also looking to go into business management with a sports team or become a sports agent... it is very hard to find a job

The reason you would pay these students is for good business/HR practices. The main asset of any company is its people... (you can figure this out as a sports fan)

So why pay when you don't have too? To ensure that your best asset IS indeed your best asset, and putting in everything they can while still feeling like a valuable part of the organization. Read any HR book written in the last 10 years they will all tell you the same thing.
    This situation reminds me of when I was recruiting at the accounting firm I used to work for. It is one of the global Big 4 firms, and each year we would have a select number of internships and assistant positions available. We'd pick who we wanted, and give them the standard offer. They either took it or didn't. If they didn't, or tried to "hold out". We would move on to the next guy. Why? Because we could. There was no end to the number of applicants to choose from, and in the first couple of years these interns and assistants were all interchangeable anyway. We were teaching them more than they were providing to the firm. We were doing them a favor.

Oddly enough, on way to my M.B.A. and my C.P.A., I did manage to read an HR book here and there. And you're right, it is important to pay their very valuable human assets. From the CEO down to the janitor, they all receive paychecks. And they receive paychecks because they offer some professional value to the organization. If the need for that particular service is great among the industry, they will receive a larger paycheck than one performing a less needed service. And this is where interns come in. They are not providing a professional service to the organization. They, as students, are being allowed a glimpse at the inner workings of a professional organization, so that someday that student WILL be able to provide a more valuable professional service.

So you see, interns ARE paid; just not with money. It's not right or wrong, just simple business truth.

If you can find an internship that you like AND it pays, then apply. Otherwise, you may have to make a decision.....follow your heart (Rams) or your wallet (other team).
    Last edited by HUbison; -06-29-2007 at 03:36 PM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post

So you see, interns ARE paid; just not with money. It's not right or wrong, just simple business truth.

If you can find an internship that you like AND it pays, then apply. Otherwise, you may have to make a decision.....follow your heart (Rams) or your wallet (other team).
    Brillantly said! I couldn't imagine to hear a better explanation. Honestly, I'd like to write a HR textbook with you someday, we'd make a fortune with both of our perspectives in there.

having said that however, I still have another point to bring up vs. what you've said. Imagine for a second that your accounting firm is like a sports team. lets say the houston texans. Like you said, you have the opportunity to select whom YOU want with the first overall selection in 06. The best available worker.... Reggie bush, or someone else... Mario Williams. So you go about it and your first offer of course goes out the the BEST TALENT AVAILABLE... Reggie Bush. But like you noted, he holds out for more.... the way you've described your org. is that then you move down the list to the next Best talent Available... Mario Williams. He signs!

Now lets analyze the process we have just gone through:

1. We had an open position (or a future opening) that needed a replacement, or new person.
    2. We looked to the newly educated and therefore possibly the best long-term solution available. (students/players)
    3. We examined them all and determined that the best fit for our company would be Reggie Bush
    4. We then made on offer to Reggie (The BEST fit remember)
    5. Reggie wanted more, so he holds out
    Decision TIME: - offer Reggie more or bump down the line to the next best person
    6. By your above standards we would drop down and take Mario Williams
    7. Bush signs with the competition

Those were the steps. So using the HR practice of thinking that your only gonna have to teach them all and they are a dime a dozen anyway, ends up giving us Mario Williams over Reggie Bush. (of course this isn't the same as real life, but I like football better.) So we have now successfully taken a student for cheaper, who is not going to be the guy we wanted in the first place and given the competition the opportunity to take the guy we originally wanted. Not good business. And I know, marketing students ARE certainly a dime a dozen. However nobody is the same and there will always be a guy who fits Best.

:l:l:r:r:l:l
    So now I want a job with the Rams. I have alot of unique talents that would fit as well as an unrivaled LOVE for the franchise which many of the "students" who apply will never even come close to matching. I also would like to one day have a career with the Rams, which again many of the candidates probably don't care for. So by not offering any money, I cannot afford as a student to work for the Rams, I work for the Eagles instead.

Overall what happens... the Rams miss out on having a talented and extremely hard-working dedicated employee for someone who is willing to work just to get a little experience and go elsewhere. The end result is a whole lot of extra money spent training in a student now as well as another employee in the future.

Training money spent:
    hire me = 1 time, future investment made
    hire another = 1 time traing now, 1 time traning later, plus missed Future Value of all the extra hard-work I would do, just simply for my love of the organization.

The main thing to think about when investing in employees isn't that you can save money. The main thing should always be the future. Sure you're gonna spend time training them now, but you should always think about what will be the best in the future. If I were to go do a workterm with the Rams now, then surely they would spend a lot more, in training me then I could attempt to give back, however, I would almost certainly return, and therefore it is an investment well made!

Hey Bruce4life, we should start an agency together!

Brillantly said! I couldn't imagine to hear a better explanation. Honestly, I'd like to write a HR textbook with you someday, we'd make a fortune with both of our perspectives in there.
    A smart up-and-comer like you will do much better without me. ha.

And I agree with you in principle. However, in my (former) world of global accounting, when we pass on the Reggie Bush that wants more money, we make our offer to the next Reggie Bush, or the next Reggie Bush, or the next Reggie Bush, etc. It's a little harsh, but accounting students looking to score a spot in a global firm are a commodity. My fear is, you will find the same to be true of professional sports organizations. But again, I agree with your principle.
    So now I want a job with the Rams. I have alot of unique talents that would fit as well as an unrivaled LOVE for the franchise which many of the "students" who apply will never even come close to matching.
    My friend, if you can only convince the Rams of that, you will have no problem.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

I'd advise you not to attempt to work for the Rams - I fear someday we would lose you as a fan. It is almost better if a person doesn't like football when they work for an NFL team. Because of who they are, it seems that NFL teams are rougher on people than the regular corporate world. One thing to never forget: A business will do whatever it feels it needs to do to perpetuate it's life.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam View Post
    I'd advise you not to attempt to work for the Rams - I fear someday we would lose you as a fan. It is almost better if a person doesn't like football when they work for an NFL team. Because of who they are, it seems that NFL teams are rougher on people than the regular corporate world. One thing to never forget: A business will do whatever it feels it needs to do to perpetuate it's life.
    Point well taken Alpha! I have thought of this point already when I was thinking about applying with the Leafs. I have heard that their organization is much less for the "leafs" and much more about the money, which is disheartening.

The reason I first thought of being able to do something with the Rams was when I was at the NYG traing camp in 04. I was there with Americas Camp as a volunteer, and I had to stay behind after we were getting ready to leave to look for items kids had left behind. The guy who helped me and allowed me through the restricted-access points was the public PR guy for the Giants. He had finished a business degree and had always wanted to work for a sports club. Although I do rememer him telling me the money truely wasn't that great, he did love the fact that he was working for the Giants. THis kind of sparked my dream.

And I agree with you in principle. However, in my (former) world of global accounting, when we pass on the Reggie Bush that wants more money, we make our offer to the next Reggie Bush, or the next Reggie Bush, or the next Reggie Bush, etc. It's a little harsh, but accounting students looking to score a spot in a global firm are a commodity. My fear is, you will find the same to be true of professional sports organizations. But again, I agree with your principle.

I never really thought of that point. It makes sense that there would be more then one Reggie.

Not to put down the Accounting practice any but as I am looking for a marketing/HR/PR position I believe that those types of business require more of a unique imagination and creativeness which truely not everyone has on the same level. Which is why I used the Reggie example. I believe that when developing a Marketing campaign its all about how creative you can be and there certainly are some ppl who pocess that on a higher scale then others, much like Bush vs. other running backs... So not to say that accountants, etc. don't have a big difference in creativeity, I just don't think that it is the type of position which allows you to explore those intuitions. But as I said I am glad you brought up the fact that there can be more then one Reggie, as it is a thought that hadn't occured to me before.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Itsguud, I just want to say that I empathize with your feelings and opinion regarding the Rams "business" attitude.

With everything that has been said above -- which makes sense and reflects reality -- the fact remains that most sports organizations, be they NFL or any other, come across as cold, cut'n dry, indifferent / impersonal ... disappointing, as you said. It's a real shame, i.e., a shame of reality.

Hopefully, you will soon, somehow, encounter someone that is a little less, just a little, concerned with the numbers, and more interested in the human element of the system, particularly of a young individual seeking support to embark a career affiliated with the team to whom love and loyalty is not only expressed but felt to the core.

Yes, I know, most 'BIG business attitudes' scoff at these sentimental views; such values are mainly used for biased TV commercials. As I said, I just want to empathize with your feelings and wish you that fortunate finding -- within or without the Rams offices -- of someone who sincerely cares, is willing to listen, and is ready to help. They do exist.

Best wishes then, my friend.
    Last edited by RealRam; -07-01-2007 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Content

Not to put down the Accounting practice any but as I am looking for a marketing/HR/PR position I believe that those types of business require more of a unique imagination and creativeness which truely not everyone has on the same level.
    Between Enron, the IRS, Worldcom, and EVERY POLITICAL CAMPAIGN TREASURER ON THE PLANET, I'd say there's some pretty creative accountants out there.

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Itsguud, I just want to say that I empathize with your feelings and opinion regarding the Rams "business" attitude.

With everything that has been said above -- which makes sense and reflects reality -- the fact remains that most sports organizations, be they NFL or any other, come across as cold, cut'n dry, indifferent / impersonal ... disappointing, as you said. It's a real shame, i.e., a shame of reality.

Hopefully, you will soon, somehow, encounter someone that is a little less, just a little, concerned with the numbers, and more interested in the human element of the system, particularly of a young individual seeking support to embark a career affiliated with the team to whom love and loyalty is not only expressed but felt to the core.

Yes, I know, most 'BIG business attitudes' scoff at these sentimental views; such values are mainly used for biased TV commercials. As I said, I just want to empathize with your feelings and wish you that fortunate finding -- within or without the Rams offices -- of someone who sincerely cares, is willing to listen, and is ready to help. They do exist.

Best wishes then, my friend.
    Appreciate that RealRam thanks!

Between Enron, the IRS, Worldcom, and EVERY POLITICAL CAMPAIGN TREASURER ON THE PLANET, I'd say there's some pretty creative accountants out there.
    LOL, and this is exactly why they don't allow them to use their creativity. lol

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I worked for free while going through an airframe course leading toward my FAA mechanics license.

It took me 3 years of after hours work, and now I'm not even working in aviation anymore.
    Some times you have to sacrifice to get what you want.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey