Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Division race

rammiser is offline Registered User

Division race

So I was going through looking at teams in the west and what I thought they would finish with. I really think even though we have shown no signs of winning a road game that we will break through. This is my prediction on how the division will finish up.

Rams 8-8
    Seattle either 7-9 or 8-8 but we will win tie breakers hopefully.
    Niners 6-10
    Cards 5-11

I really think this team has a shot to pull it off. It would be awesome to see this team win the division and get a home playoff game which as we all know is where we play our best ball. Of course this will take doing something this team has been unable to do all season. Win a few games on the road. We only have two home games left vs the Whiners and the Chiefs. In my opinion two very winable games. Our remaining road games are @ Denver (maybe),@Cards (win),@ Saints (loss) @ Seattle (possibly for the division). If it doesnt happen then so be it but isnt it nice to talk about this late in the season. This team is close and I'm excited. They have surpassed what I thought they could do this year. Add a few more players this off season and we are a contender. Something I didnt think would happen for a couple more years.

I was a Suh supporter but I see why I'm not running the franchise. Although Suh looks to be a good defensive lineman he would not have had the effect on this team that Bradford has. Bradford has brought an energy to this team that has been lacking (for the record he's very quiet doing so haha). I havnt felt this much excitement for my Rams in a long time and you can see the effort on the field. The Falcons are a very good team and we fought them tooth and nail down to the wire untill a rookie mistake on the two yard line with a chance to come within two points of possibly the best NFC team. No matter what happens the rest of this season I will be fired up for next year for what this team could possibly do.

Just Fix It

macrammer is offline Registered User

Re: Division race

I agree on excitement and future but I do not see us ending up 8-8. 6-10 seems more likely but we are headed in right direction. I hope you are right

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    So I was going through looking at teams in the west and what I thought they would finish with. I really think even though we have shown no signs of winning a road game that we will break through. This is my prediction on how the division will finish up.

Rams 8-8
    Seattle either 7-9 or 8-8 but we will win tie breakers hopefully.
    Niners 6-10
    Cards 5-11

I really think this team has a shot to pull it off. It would be awesome to see this team win the division and get a home playoff game which as we all know is where we play our best ball. Of course this will take doing something this team has been unable to do all season. Win a few games on the road. We only have two home games left vs the Whiners and the Chiefs. In my opinion two very winable games. Our remaining road games are @ Denver (maybe),@Cards (win),@ Saints (loss) @ Seattle (possibly for the division). If it doesnt happen then so be it but isnt it nice to talk about this late in the season. This team is close and I'm excited. They have surpassed what I thought they could do this year. Add a few more players this off season and we are a contender. Something I didnt think would happen for a couple more years.

I was a Suh supporter but I see why I'm not running the franchise. Although Suh looks to be a good defensive lineman he would not have had the effect on this team that Bradford has. Bradford has brought an energy to this team that has been lacking (for the record he's very quiet doing so haha). I havnt felt this much excitement for my Rams in a long time and you can see the effort on the field. The Falcons are a very good team and we fought them tooth and nail down to the wire untill a rookie mistake on the two yard line with a chance to come within two points of possibly the best NFC team. No matter what happens the rest of this season I will be fired up for next year for what this team could possibly do.

As hard as it is to believe, the season may very well come down to the final game with Seattle, in Seattle. ...and, an 8-8 record or even a 7-9 record could win the NFC worst.

At the bye week, (I was bored) I laid out the remainder of the season for the NFC Worst. I had the Seahawks and Rams finishing at 8-8, and the Whiners at 7-9, with the Cards at the bottom at 5-11. In my scenario, the Hawks win the tie-breaker based on division record. Ugh. However, I had the Whiners beating the Bucs at home so they're now a game off the pace I expected, so all things being equal from here on out, they would now finish at 6-10.

The Rams are going to have to win at least two games on the road (at Arizona and Denver) AND win their two remaining home games (KC and SF)if this is going to happen. It think the two "iffy" games that the season may pivot on (for both the Hawks and the Rams) are two common opponent games, KC and SF.

But hey, stranger things have happened and if something weird happens like the Rams beating the Saints in New Orleans, well....anything could happen at that point.

Can you imagine a 7-9 team winning the division and getting a home playoff game while some other team finishes 10-6, or 11-5 and stays home? OMG. Something wrong with a playoff system that allows that.

But you're right, it's nice to be able to even think about this stuff this late in the season.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    Can you imagine a 7-9 team winning the division and getting a home playoff game while some other team finishes 10-6, or 11-5 and stays home? OMG. Something wrong with a playoff system that allows that.

But you're right, it's nice to be able to even think about this stuff this late in the season.
    Yea this is sort of a ridiculous playoff system the NFL manages and if we win this division with a 7-9 record, I would much rather give it to a team that's second or third place in different division.

Truth is offline Registered User

The NFC West "race" is irrelevant/a joke. It's embarrassing. There's even a chance that the team that wins this division could have a 8-8 or worse season. The winner of the NFC West will be like the last guy picked in the draft; a curiosity. The only possible bit of pride that could be gleaned from the Rams winning the division, is the improvement they made from last season. The NFL should probably give the NFC West spot in the playoffs to a more worthy division (probably NFC South). The lucky team that gets to face the NFC West winner is almost going to get a bye. Shameful, absolutely shameful.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

One thing to remember...the Cardinals went into the playoffs a couple of years back with a 9-7 record and were considered to be likely the worst team in the playoffs... a close loss in the superbowl proved otherwise...you just never know when everything resets at 0-0 come playoff time
    Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

The 1979 Rams went to the Super Bowl after posting a 9-7 record and were up 19-17 at the end of the third quarter against the Steelers dynasty.

Just sayin'

That said, if the Rams win the division this year, it would likely a short playoff run. Nonetheless, a home playoff game would be a great reward for the hard work of the last two years, and a great springboard for next season.

9-7?? There's no garauntee that any team in our division will even get to 9-7.

As for the '79 Rams... Vince Ferragamo, Wendell Tyler, Cullen Bryant, Dennard, Waddy, Jessie, Jackie Slater, Doug France, Rich Saul, Dennis Harrah, Both Youngbloods, Brooks, Reynolds, Dryer, Brudzinski, Cromwell, Elmendorf....No luck involved here, just plenty of talent. Let's not try to compare the 2010 Rams to the 1979 Rams.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post

As for the '79 Rams... Vince Ferragamo, Wendell Tyler, Cullen Bryant, Dennard, Waddy, Jessie, Jackie Slater, Doug France, Rich Saul, Dennis Harrah, Both Youngbloods, Brooks, Reynolds, Dryer, Brudzinski, Cromwell, Elmendorf....No luck involved here, just plenty of talent. Let's not try to compare the 2010 Rams to the 1979 Rams.
    No one ever compared players, there just showing you an example of how stuff happens... Then again, those crappy Rams will never beat the Chargers...Oh wait

I knew this was coming....hindsight can always allow one to quote the names of a previous roster and what they accomplished...the real POINT is that it CAN be done and all the negativity is downright disturbing
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolRamFan View Post
    I knew this was coming....hindsight can always allow one to quote the names of a previous roster and what they accomplished...the real POINT is that it CAN be done and all the negativity is downright disturbing
    The point is that the teams that have done anything while have had a great deal of talent on their roster. That includes the Cardinals, a few years ago. I'm not putting down the Rams, but I'm not going to delusional either.

The point is that the teams that have done anything while have had a great deal of talent on their roster. That includes the Cardinals, a few years ago. I'm not putting down the Rams, but I'm not going to delusional either.
    The point is what you call "great deal of talent" because there was an appearance in a super bowl, does not necessarily truly equate to a "great deal of talent." Down the road some other explanation can include statements like but yeah, that team had "Bradford, Jackson, Amendola, Alexander, Smith, Saffold, Long, Laurinaitis....etc. etc." The point is you just NEVER know when the names on the backs of the jersey are irrelevant and the team as a whole steps up.

To make that point... Ferragamo - 1 full season started (all 16 games) QB rating - 75.9 - 1980 Season - 15 games - rating 89.7 - Tyler - 3 years with over 1000 yards rushing - highest total of 1262 (in 1984) - Bryant - Highest Rushing season of 807 yards - Dennard - Career high of 49 catches for 821 yards -

...and those are the first four you mentioned along with "no luck there, just plenty of talent" - like I said initially...it's easy to pull names off from a roster and equate them with "talent" rather than just pulling together and achieving.
    Steve

rammiser is offline Registered User

The NFC West "race" is irrelevant/a joke. It's embarrassing. There's even a chance that the team that wins this division could have a 8-8 or worse season. The winner of the NFC West will be like the last guy picked in the draft; a curiosity. The only possible bit of pride that could be gleaned from the Rams winning the division, is the improvement they made from last season. The NFL should probably give the NFC West spot in the playoffs to a more worthy division (probably NFC South). The lucky team that gets to face the NFC West winner is almost going to get a bye. Shameful, absolutely shameful.
    My post was wishful thinking and I'm not delusional. I don't know why your being so damn negative. Would it still be a joke if whoever wins this division gets a home game and beats a team with a better record in the playoffs? Will it only be a joke if the division winner loses at home just curious? Why is everyone so tied up in records? They dont mean crap when the games start. If records meant the better team would win the Patriots would have been 19-0 not 18-1. So the division is down big deal the system is what it is. The Afc west isnt much better than the NFC west. We already beat the Chargers this season. I know we probably wont win the division but I see no problem with having a little hope and excitement but i guess there always has to be someone to piss in everyones cheerios.
    Just Fix It

While I appreciate the enthusiasm with which you approach this Rams season, and/or the possible post season run of the eventual NFC West champion, given the inconsistent, at best, play of EVERY team in the NFC West, the Rams lack of a consistent running game, poor run blocking, lack of a true #1 receiver, poor DB play, D-Lines inability to get consistent pressure on opposing QBs, I believe that neither we, the Rams, nor any NFC West team (given the current level of performance) have any chance to make a move deep into the playoffs this season. I will, as always, continue to cheer for the Rams, as I have done for the last 45 years. However, I'm not going to get myself all worked up over the Rams playoff chances this season. Seeing the team's weaknesses and shortcomings clearly, is NOT being negative. I do not go into each week lamenting our issues. I look forward to each game as an opportunity for our players to take the next step. we seem to take some small steps forward early in games, and then fade. The game against Atlanta showed, we're not quite there yet.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

However, I'm not going to get myself all worked up over the Rams playoff chances this season.
    Hey, whatever works for you. Me, I'm going to get extremely worked up over a team that went 1-15 last year being in the thick of the playoff hunt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast