Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RebelYell is offline Registered User

Re: D'Marco Farr: Rams QB Marc Bulger has 'no charisma' and 'zero presence'

The guys on 101.1 w/ D'Marco made a few really good points.

1. Marc succeed when he had veteran leadership around him. Bruce, Holt, Faulk, Timmerman, Pace. Now he is the veteran but he lacks the leadership.

2. The Rams are a team of youth in desperate need of leadership on and off the field.

3. The Rams will be transitioning from Marc to the next QB over the next year or more. How many long term QBs have stayed with their team as they transitioned to the backup job? It just doesn't happen very often for a variety of reasons.

4. Why would Marc take a pay cut if (as is often mentioned on here) he is such an obvious starter with impending success on another team as soon as he's released from the Rams?

Last year when the media commented that the Rams were going to be horrible, they were labeled lazy and uninformed. They were right and the Rams turned into the worst team in the NFL. Now when a pro-bowler for the Rams says Marc isn't a leader, he's bashed as uninformed and he needs to talk with current players.
    Last edited by RebelYell; -03-04-2010 at 01:16 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Last year when the media commented that the Rams were going to be horrible, they were labeled lazy and uninformed. They were right and the Rams turned into the worst team in the NFL. Now when a pro-bowler for the Rams says Marc isn't a leader, he's bashed as uninformed and he needs to talk with current players.
    You're painting with pretty broad strokes there. The media gets bashed when they essentially write "the Rams were bad last year so they'll be bad ths year." That is lazy writing and analysis.

As for Farr, he's not in the locker room, team meetings, closed practices, or the huddle so he is unquestionably uniformed on the subject of how Bulger comes accross to his teammates. By contrast, Bulger's teammates have gone out of their way to support his leadership (including comments by Steven Jackson).

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    You're painting with pretty broad strokes there. The media gets bashed when they essentially write "the Rams were bad last year so they'll be bad ths year." That is lazy writing and analysis.
    If you let your veterans walk and you replace them with street free agents with very little playing experience, why would you think that they would be better than the previous year? Last year we had a long threads touting Bulger was going to throw for 4,000 yards because he'll excel at the WCO. We didn't need great WRs because you don't need them in this offense. Was that better analysis?

Actually as part of the Rams radio team (he now has Jack Snow's job), he does have unusual access to the team. He IS on the plane with the team for away games, he is in the locker room routinely and he does have access to most practices. To say he is uninformed isn't exactly true. He's a heck of a lot more informed than anyone on this board. Plus with 8 years experience on the team, I'd give his opinion a little more salt than your average Joe.

The key for the opinion of team mates is how many ex-team mates say the same things? Jackson IS a leader on this team. Is being a leader telling the media that other players aren't displaying leadership traits?

If you let your veterans walk and you replace them with street free agents with very little playing experience, why would you think that they would be better than the previous year? Last year we had a long threads touting Bulger was going to throw for 4,000 yards because he'll excel at the WCO. We didn't need great WRs because you don't need them in this offense. Was that better analysis?

Actually as part of the Rams radio team (he now has Jack Snow's job), he does have unusual access to the team. He IS on the plane with the team for away games, he is in the locker room routinely and he does have access to most practices. To say he is uninformed isn't exactly true. He's a heck of a lot more informed than anyone on this board. Plus with 8 years experience on the team, I'd give his opinion a little more salt than your average Joe.

The key for the opinion of team mates is how many ex-team mates say the same things? Jackson IS a leader on this team. Is being a leader telling the media that other players aren't displaying leadership traits?
    You clearly WANT to believe that Farr is right. You overstate his access to the team (he is, after all, a member of the media, not an actual player on the team), and then downplay the fact that Bulger's teammates have repeatedly contradicted Farr's opinion.

As Paul Simon once wrote, "a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

Believe what you want. As far as I'm concerned, Bulger's "personality" has always been little more than a red herring that fans and sportwriters throw out there.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

T.....

Last year when the media commented that the Rams were going to be horrible, they were labeled lazy and uninformed. ....
    Wow, so I DO have what it takes to be a Sportswriter!?!?!?
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Bulger hasn't had a decent team in years and when he did (years ago), he did very well. That's why we were all excited about our post-GSOT offense in that it still had punch players. Big Bulger contract, etc. But things changed too much primarily and firstly due to injuries. And the rest is recent Rams history.

Enter 2010. Some of us are now wondering, perhaps half-justified... if Marc is damaged goods.

D'Marco is respected as a former Ram and his opinion is true to some extent. Sure, MB is definitely not an exciting, charismatic, exhuberant leader. Nor was Unitas (no, I'm not comparing them in terms of stats / winning). Unitas, the legend, was a stern, stone face QB; highly effective and successful BTW. But talk about presence!

For the most part, I think Bulger's presence has been taken away by team circumstance of the past few years. Can he regain his confidence with the Rams? That's what is being pondered by the Rams organization and fans. Stay tuned.
    Originally posted by RebelYell
    Actually as part of the Rams radio team (he [Farr] now has Jack Snow's job), he does have unusual access to the team. He IS on the plane with the team for away games, he is in the locker room routinely and he does have access to most practices. To say he is uninformed isn't exactly true. He's a heck of a lot more informed than anyone on this board. Plus with 8 years experience on the team, I'd give his opinion a little more salt than your average Joe.

The key for the opinion of teammates is how many ex-team mates say the same things?
    D'Marco is not only well informed of Rams happenings but I think he also understands the team well enough to have a solid opinion of the key components / players. I agree with you Rebel.

Now IMO, we just need to see how much of Bulger's real skills and talent is recovered and I believe the Rams are carefully considering all options and possibilities to this effect, namely (I would say), Boller, a 1st draft choice, etc. ...Again, yes, Bulger's "charisma" and leadership have often been questioned, his so called presence. Especially now that the Rams desperately need to improve on offense. Critical stats from the 1-15 2009 season follow...

Offense - Value -- Rank

Points --- 175 ---- 32 / ĦAy caramba! 11 points per game!?!
    Yards ----4470 --- 29
    Pass Yds 2686 --- 28
    Pass TD -- 12 ---- 29
    Pass INTs 21 ----- 28
    Rush Yds 1784 --- 20
    Rush TD -- 4 ----- 32
    Sacks ---- 44 ----- 26

Source: ProFootball-Reference.com

Obviously Marc is going to be scrutinized every day here on out. And very carefully too -- a redundant need. There's been a sense of urgency at QB since last year due to MB's injury, also in parallel to our inconsistent and injured OL. That's why Bulger's leadership is brought into question. How much can be expected from 'his presence' to change the Rams offense in 2010. Let's see if Farr "updates" his comments on MB.

I'm very excited to learn the QB decisions the Rams are taking or will be taking soon now.
    Last edited by RealRam; -03-04-2010 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Helmet

You clearly WANT to believe that Farr is right. You overstate his access to the team
    That may all be true but if you are going to discount anything the media says, why rush into every thread that says anything non-positive about the Rams and declare it a non issue? Why not just ignore the threads is they are always wrong and you know this before opening it?

To say an 8 year veteran as a player of the Rams organization, their current color man on the radio broadcast and an active contributer to the NFL network is unquestionably uninformed discloses a lot.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

That a guy like Steven Jackson would come out and say "Marc Bulger is a leader, et. al." is not surprising, nor quite honestly, does it really mean much. What's he GONNA' say when questioned: "Gee, Marc doesn't possess the necessary traits to get us through this??" A good teammate will play up a fellow player to the media-whether it's justified or not- when questioned. Average guys like us read those comments and take them at face value- whether he's on the level or not- when it should really be taken with a grain of salt.

DeMarco Farr certainly is close enough to the situation in his position with the Rams to have a pretty good handle on the thoughts of those individuals who play with Marc Bulger- as well as his own personal observations.

People confuse "being fiery" with "having presence". The two are not mutually exclusive. There are a lot of guys who were not regarded as "fiery, vocal types" but nonetheless had presence in the pocket. Someone rightly mentioned Staubach and Aikman as examples. "Presence", however, is an intangible that is hard to quantify- it is not a measured quality like arm strength, mobility and an ability to read defenses. It is an ability to inspire confidence from those around you. It is the ability to carry a team in stretches when things around you go wrong. It is being the unquestioned leader of your unit. And it is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL for a QB to have if he wishes to succeed in less than ideal circumstances. Montana had it. So did Marino. Manning has it. Guys like Phillip Rivers have it. Ben Roethlisberger has it. Favre, Simms, Jim Kelly, Kurt Warner- the list goes on and on. I don't know that Marc Bulger always measures up to this. That isn't to say he is a terrible player or hasn't tried to win. And he's certainly been hamstrung with a lack of help. It is simply time to move on.

I'm with Rebel and RealRam on this.

That may all be true but if you are going to discount anything the media says, why rush into every thread that says anything non-positive about the Rams and declare it a non issue?
    Your overgeneralization notwithstanding, I look to the media to supply facts. Opinions... I can come up with those on my own.

In this case, the FACT is that Farr is stating something that is the direct opposite of what has been said by those who play with Bulger. So, in ranking the sources, I put current players above former players who now work for the media.

Why not just ignore the threads is they are always wrong and you know this before opening it?
    I think the better question is why do you care if I disagree?

To say an 8 year veteran as a player of the Rams organization, their current color man on the radio broadcast and an active contributer to the NFL network is unquestionably uninformed discloses a lot.
    All it "discloses" is that I consider him LESS INFORMED than those who have said Marc is a leader.

I think the better question is why do you care if I disagree?

All it "discloses" is that I consider him LESS INFORMED than those who have said Marc is a leader.
    1. because in the past you've told me that if I don't like a thread, I just shouldn't post in it.

2. you didn't say he was less informed, you said he was unquestionably uninformed. Those aren't equal statements.

Don't misquote me.

As for Farr, he's not in the locker room, team meetings, closed practices, or the huddle so he is unquestionably uniformed on the subject of how Bulger comes accross to his teammates.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Lets see is Farr closer to the siuation than Jim Haslett and Torry Holt also? Both of those guys not only defended Bulger but talked about his leadership qualities publicly. Haslett wasted no time re-instating Bulger as the starting qb in 08' because he knew he was the best qb on the roster and the shortcomings of the team were not all on Marc's shoulders. People who don't like Bulger will always scream he wasnt a leader or wasnt loud enough on the field. Troy,Aikman and Steve Young werent loud vocal guys either. Funny the team fell apart and Marc's stats got worse is that all on Marc? I'm not denying his play is not very good. I in no way am agreeing he isnt a leader. A leader is someone who leads by example not someone who talks about it. Marc took enormous beatings for this team and got up time and time again. Is that not leadership? A lot of guys in his shoes with some of his injuries would have called it a day. While Farr may be more informed than you and I he still just has an opinion. Untill I hear Isaac Bruce or Marshall Faulk or even Holt or Pace say Marc isnt a leader then I will believe otherwise. Even Turley had Bulgers back and he wasnt with the team long. Question his leadership all you want its a load of crap. The team around him sucks except for Jackson and his play suffered. I'm sure Bulger got tired of losing and getting destroyed every Sunday just like Barry Sanders got tired of losing in the prime of his career and walked away.
    Just Fix It

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Now when a pro-bowler for the Rams says Marc isn't a leader, he's bashed as uninformed and he needs to talk with current players.
    I didn't see the segment or hear Farr on 101 ESPN on this topic, so I'm only going by what has been repeated here.

But it appears to me that the quotes from the original post said nothing about leadership. They criticized Bulger's presence and charisma. And we've known for a while now that Bulger isn't a rah-rah guy, and plenty of people have criticized him for that. For Farr to do the same is nothing new, though the manner in which he did may have been a little crass.

Now, if those comments were meant to be criticisms in the context of leadership, or if Farr made additional comments about Bulger's leadership on 101 ESPN, then I can only direct him to a comment from Jim Thomas earlier in the year in one of his chats...

ernie: Jim,

Lets be honest, Bulger is not a leader,currently a never was, or possibly a has-been. Part of the problem is that a lot of the local writers kept insisting on re-signing Bulger to a long-term contract. (especially Gordon, check the archives) I say cut Bulger, eat his contract or keep going down the toilet.

Jim Thomas: A very interesting post. It's funny because most of the players who work with Bulger on a daily basis seem to insist that he IS a leader. Yet most of the Bulger critics, who aren't on the practice field, in the locker room, or in the games with him seem to insist that he ISN'T a leader. I wonder who's right.
    So, needless to say someone is a bit off in their analysis here.

Keep in mind that Thomas cited Bulger's teammates as insisting the guy is a leader. And I'd assume Thomas has just as much if not more access and insight into the situation as Farr does.

Farr's NFLN quotes don't reveal anything about how he may have arrived at this opinion. We have no idea if it's something he came up with from his own observations, or if it's something that was confirmed by other players.

Either way, Bulger's days in St. Louis are likely numbered. If he beats the odds and manages to hang around for another season, then 2010 will surely be his last in horns. Personally, I think going out there year after year without complaint and taking a beating for this team is a pretty good display of leadership, but I guess it's not the charismatic variety so perhaps it doesn't mean as much to some people.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

I am not getting into an in depth argument in another Bulger thread, I've done it before I'll pass this time. I will make a statement though.

Marc Bulger has taken more of a beating then any other QB, maybe any other player, in the past three years. Yes, he does bring some of it on himself. However, not once have you ever seen a sound byte of him complaining, not once has he criticized the coaching staff(even when he was benched). There are multiple times he could have gone off on the media Ryan Leaf style but he didnt, he kept his cool, and he did his job to the best of his ability. You want to know how easy it is to get mad in football?YouTube - Peyton Manning goes crazy [FULL CLIP]

He desearves a little more respect then alot of people give him. So let's all just sit back and see what happens, whether he is let go or not, I am glad he played as the Ram's QB.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

That may all be true but if you are going to discount anything the media says, why rush into every thread that says anything non-positive about the Rams and declare it a non issue? Why not just ignore the threads is they are always wrong and you know this before opening it?

And Farr is indisputably the worst member of the broadcast team when it comes to covering and reporting the game. Just because he's on the team doesn't make him knowledgeable.

And when you consider Farr's biggest display of leadership was the near-mutiny he spearheaded against Vermeil in 1998, well, that's not much leadership.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast