tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Do the Rams play out of the shotgun more next year if they take Bradford?

Its looking increasingly likely that Bradford will be our first round pick this evening. There has been some criticism that Bradford has come from a spread offense, despite the fact that he did play under center often at Oklahoma.

There has also been talk of Jason Smith being moved to left tackle, and a possibility that Alex Barron gets traded on draft day. At Baylor, Smith often played out of a two point stance at tackle. Some questioned his ability to run block as a result of this, but from his play last year, especially in the Detroit game, i think its clear there is no run blocking issues.

However, if Smith and Bradford are more comfortable running out of a shotgun kind of offense, do you think we will see it used more than it has in the past?

I can see it happening, but im not sure because obviously the offensive focal point is Steven Jackson, and the shotgun makes it more difficult to run the ball.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Do the Rams play out of the shotgun more next year if they take Bradford?

Maybe they put in more shotgun plays, sure. But I don't envision this team changing their offensive scheme based on that. They came in wanting to be a power running team that used West Coast concepts in the passing game. I don't think they'll stray from that too much, though it wouldn't surprise me to see a higher frequency of shotgun plays than last year.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

I would do as much as possible without bending my entire team to make Bradford succesful. I think we can expect to see more shotgun formations as we attempt to open up the offense more and become less predictable, but I expect a lot of pounding the rock to take pressure off of Bradford to win us games. If we get an effective second guy then this could very well be a great strategy.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Maybe they put in more shotgun plays, sure. But I don't envision this team changing their offensive scheme based on that. They came in wanting to be a power running team that used West Coast concepts in the passing game. I don't think they'll stray from that too much, though it wouldn't surprise me to see a higher frequency of shotgun plays than last year.
    Oh of course, i dont see us going into a complete, shotgun only O. But i think we will use the gun a fair bit.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

he will have to throw from the stands if he is to be safe. (except in oakland)
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

SLSG is offline Registered User

I never understood why the Rams didn't use more shotguns with Bulger to buy him a couple extra seconds. I would use shotgun 80% of the time with Bradford like the Colts do with Manning. Why not ? You can run any play out of shotgun plus give your QB a couple extra seconds, plus he is very comfortable with it.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Hopefully it will be Feely throwing from the shotgun. I don't wanna see the kid get killed already. We still need time to build a line...

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Now that the Rams have drafted Bradford this becomes a very valid concern.

At this stage untill rounds 2-3 of the draft are done, and preseason is over, I don't think the shotgun would be that affective. Other then draw plays and crazy screen plays, a team in shotgun is pretty much committed to throwing. In the Rams case, at this point in time who are your targets to deliver the ball too? Opposing defenses need but double cover the Rams top 2 WR and go man-to-man with your 3rd and 4th recievers in a Tampa-2 coverage--then what? Dump off pass to S. Jackson? Darn almost sounds like Rams last 2 seasons.

Fortunately the draft ain't over yet, nor is any other possible acquistions down the road. Personally am hoping the Rams will pick up a moose of a RB or FB to compliment S. Jackson. Besides picking up a speedster for the reciever core, the Shotgun becomes very viable. It adds the the element of uncertainty--will the Rams Run it, throw it or something in between?

general counsel is offline Registered User

Unless we improve a great deal on the offensive line (which hopefully starts with a healthy jason smith), the best shotgun formation for Bradford is going to involve more snaps for chris massey. If we utilize the long snapper and bradford starts 15 yards behind center, he, unlike bulger, will have a chance to throw without getting killed.

ramming speed to all

general counsel