View Poll Results: Do you believe Jackson deserves 20 mil or so guaranteed?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he has proven to be the best running back, so he should get paid for it

12 37.50%
  • He hasn't proven to be the best, but I think potentially he could be

15 46.88%
  • No way, maybe 4th or 5th most in signing money

2 6.25%
  • 20 Million? I wouldn't even pay a QB that much

3 9.38%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    moloch41 is offline Registered User

Do you believe Jackson deserves...

Okay, do you think that...

Josh Guest

Re: Do you believe Jackson deserves...

Man I would love to respond to that.. but I got No idea what you mean...

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Man I would love to respond to that.. but I got No idea what you mean...

Sorry, trying to figure out the poll thing...

Josh Guest

Thats ok.. I am going with the first one. i think he has proven himself

rams2061 Guest

20 Million? I wouldn't even pay a QB that much

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

All these amounts sound like funny money to us Joe Q. Publics, but in the world of the NFL, $20M is about the going rate. He's 25. He'll be nipping at 30, if not over, when his next contract rolls around. This is his big payday, and $20M in guar. $ appears to be fair market value.

Pay the man. Hold strong that he needs to come to camp first, but then pay the man.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is offline Registered User

As usual, the big bison is the voice of reason. Jackson deserves the money. He is at the right age for me to actually believe that he can earn it over the life of the contract without us getting killed under the cap in the back years. If he was 28, i might have a different view because he would be out of gas and likely well past his prime by the middle of the contract.

Jackson's productivity has been extraordinary. There is no way around that. Comparing his to the productivity of other backs makes that quite clear. Keep in mind that Jackson has hardly played with all pro offensive lines in front of him.

He deserves the money, but he should only get it after he reports. He is under contract and its a terrible precedent for a team to allow a player under contract to extort money by not reporting. Jackson's behavior is designed to benefit him personally regardless of the impact on the team.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't think Jackson has proven to be the best running back in the NFL, but I think he's certainly among the top five and could rise some more in Saunders' offense. $20 million guaranteed is around fair market value for a running back of that caliber.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

LT got $21 million 4 years ago and LJ got $19 million last year, so I think it's fair and reasonable for Jackson to seek and get $20 million based on his situation and where he rates among NFL RB's. I also think he should report to camp, honor his contract and trust that the Rams will take care of him, although I understand his reluctance to do so. The Rams have historically been tight and are often difficult to get a read on. This is an organization that quickly took care of Marc Bulger when he staged a semi-hold out, paid Marshall Faulk for a year to more or less work at the NFL Network, then cut Isaac Bruce after what seemed to me as an unreasonable demand to re-work his deal a second time in three years. I'd certainly be wary if I were Jackson.

Javaman is offline Registered User

According to profootball.com Westbrooke is about to sign a 3year deal worth 30 million dollars with the eagles. I think Jackson is better so I guess he should be paid more!!

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I don't think Jackson has proven to be the best running back in the NFL, but I think he's certainly among the top five and could rise some more in Saunders' offense. $20 million guaranteed is around fair market value for a running back of that caliber.
    Nick, are we sure that 20 million guaranteed is the asking price ? it seems to me the Rams would jump at that considering the guaranteed amounts some of these other guys have received,it seems like a legit amount to me for Jackson,it's alot of money I know but thats where things are at.

Well, it looks like a majority of fans think the Rams should show him the money- of course none of us are actually cutting the check. I wonder if his holdout extends into the season and the Rams start off with no wins, if that will change...

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    Nick, are we sure that 20 million guaranteed is the asking price ? it seems to me the Rams would jump at that considering the guaranteed amounts some of these other guys have received,it seems like a legit amount to me for Jackson,it's alot of money I know but thats where things are at.
    A recent Jim Thomas article cited inside sources at Rams Park who I believe are close to Jackson and said that he's looking for at least $20 million guaranteed. Obviously there's a chance that's not accurate, but that's all we really know about what he's looking for right now.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Even if he is the 4th or 5th best back in the league, that doesn't mean we'd be able to get him to sign for the 4th or 5th highest value contract. NFL contracts tend to go up every year with the cap, meaning that other backs might be nearing the end of their previous contracts and making less than they will when they re-sign. Larry Johnson's contract is probably the closest benchmark. LJ had more rushing yards in the seasons prior to his new contract, but he was also 27 last year when he signed and I'm guessing averaged fewer yards from scrimmage than Jackson has because of SJ's pass catching ability.

All that is to say that $20 million sounds about right for his market value. If we're not willing to give it to him, somebody else probably would if he ever hit the market as an unrestricted .

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Well, it looks like a majority of fans think the Rams should show him the money- of course none of us are actually cutting the check. I wonder if his holdout extends into the season and the Rams start off with no wins, if that will change...
    Let's hope that doesn't turn out to be the scenario, but if it is and the sticking point actually does turn out to be the Rams refusal to pony up $20 million in guaranteed money, Jackson might not be the only one the fans turn on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast