Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Do you really think Spags will change his ways?

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Do you really think Spags will change his ways?

Spags has been horrendous at managing, run defense, etc. and a lot of people support him, but what has he shown you to think he deserves another year? he has the 2nd worst win % of all time and the worst ever for a rams HC, yet people want him back. Why?

Yes i understand not bring in yet another HC etc. He has a great defensive mind.

But...hes a robot. he rather tell a guy who dropped a pass "good try buddy" and pat him on the back, then tell him he needs to catch the ball and get the job done. In the real world what boss wouldnt call you in his office if you kept screwing stuff up constantly. I wish he was my boss, cause i know no matter how much i screwed up i'd be safe with him, to bad were talking about the NFL!!!!!

So anyways, back to my main question to my fellow brothers of the blue and gold-

Do you really think he'd learn from his mistakes if he stayed for one more year?

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Re: Do you really think Spags will change his ways?

Learning from mistakes means admitting you made them....so no.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I dont think he will. But its our loss once he leaves. Were going to see the defensive play drop off, and the team that he goes to (probably Philly) will be a top 5 defense when he gets to play with a team as talented as theirs. I love Spags. I wouldn't mind if he stayed. He only needs to fix minor things. Who cares if he doesn't yell on the sidelines? How does that make a coach good or bad? If he was 11-2 right now I bet not 1 ram fan would complain about him not yelling on the sidelines.

Hes got to fix his half time gameplans, clock management and decision making skills and I think he will be an excellent coach. I think with a decent offense (last year) we can win several games.

fearsome foursome is offline Registered User

Tampa- I've been a lukewarm Spags supporter and I think that he will learn some lessons for next year. I don't know if it will be enough though. It looked to me like when the injuries began they would plug one hole in the dike and three more would open up. I think that on defense they changed what they wanted to do because they were in a hopeless situation in the backfield. Protecting the corners probably had something to do with the poor run defense(poor tackling aside). I'm putting the offense on McD. As far as the pat on the back and "good job buddy" style of coaching goes. A steady consistent message and knowing when to praise and when (and who) to punish is just good leadership. I think that the defense is still playing hard for him. I don't know what to think about the offense. We didn't look any better but we sure didn't look any worse with an O-line made up of other teams rejects and practice squad players. No QB coach for Bradford looks like one of the biggest mistakes this year.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

There's no reason to think he will learn or change other than blind faith. And blind faith doesn't win football games.
    THOLTFAN81 and Tampa_Ram like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I dont think he will. But its our loss once he leaves. Were going to see the defensive play drop off, and the team that he goes to (probably Philly) will be a top 5 defense when he gets to play with a team as talented as theirs. I love Spags. I wouldn't mind if he stayed. He only needs to fix minor things. Who cares if he doesn't yell on the sidelines? How does that make a coach good or bad? If he was 11-2 right now I bet not 1 ram fan would complain about him not yelling on the sidelines.

Hes got to fix his half time gameplans, clock management and decision making skills and I think he will be an excellent coach. I think with a decent offense (last year) we can win several games.
    Yes, i agree he will upgrade the defense wherever he goes, thats why i wish he'd stay and become our DC, even though we all know it wont happen.

I like Spags, he is a great guy, hes just not ready to be a HC.

yes, my yelling statement wasnt presented in the right way, it was more about him holding players accountable for there mistakes, which he does not do in the least. you bring up if he was 11-2, well thats not really a fair point, especially since he hasnt even won 11 games in 3 years. if he had won 11 games this year i could care less how he did it. but since he hasnt won 11 in 3 years i think its fair to bring up his lack of HC ability.

His halftime gameplans seem to be non existent, clock management seems to be non existent, and his decision making skills are pitiful.

its his job to make sure the offense and defense are good, not just the defense, thats why hes the HC, and currently a bad one.

i could see him 3-5 years down the road becoming a HC again and doing good, but in this time of his career, its a washout. plain and simple he is not HC material at this point of his career.
    Last edited by Tampa_Ram; -12-15-2011 at 08:42 PM.
    NJ Ramsfan1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fearsome foursome View Post
    Tampa- I've been a lukewarm Spags supporter and I think that he will learn some lessons for next year. I don't know if it will be enough though. It looked to me like when the injuries began they would plug one hole in the dike and three more would open up. I think that on defense they changed what they wanted to do because they were in a hopeless situation in the backfield. Protecting the corners probably had something to do with the poor run defense(poor tackling aside). I'm putting the offense on McD. As far as the pat on the back and "good job buddy" style of coaching goes. A steady consistent message and knowing when to praise and when (and who) to punish is just good leadership. I think that the defense is still playing hard for him. I don't know what to think about the offense. We didn't look any better but we sure didn't look any worse with an O-line made up of other teams rejects and practice squad players. No QB coach for Bradford looks like one of the biggest mistakes this year.
    i can agree with most of this. trust me, ive tried supporting spags to the fullest and giving him every chance till a few weeks ago. nothing changes with him. i agree the defense plan had to change due to our secondary, but still doesnt excuse it.

Has he really punished anyone besides his benching of brown?

The whole team is still playing hard in my opinion, but the team as a whole is still sucking.this team is a huge failure on many parts, and it all starts with the HC, the guy who is in charge of coaching the team as a whole.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Whilst there are a few things I'd like to see Spags change, his approach to 'punishment' isn't one of them.

We're dealing with grown men here and the one-dimensional scream and shout approach just doesn't work, it doesn't work past high-school and even them it can be tremendously counter-productive. I'd like to see any of us in any of our workplaces respond well to that kind of 'leadership'. We went through the same thing with Bulger; people continually asking for him to cuss someone out publicly to demonstrate he could lead the team.......it's nonsense frankly.

If leadership were that simple there are whole sections of bookstores labelled 'self-help' that would disappear overnight to be replaced by a cardboard cut-out of some regimental sergeant-major in the act of bawling us out.

I respect him for his equanimity and consistency of approach in the face of adversity, even if some of it seems to be self-inflicted and it seems the players are still responding to that approach. That in itself is something he can take away from this final season if he's handed his cards.

Ultimately, leadership isn't enough.

as i pointed out before, i misrepresented what i meant with my yelling statement. he doesnt hold anyone accountable, if he was our boss and we messed up hed give us a pat on the back and say youll do better next time buddy. everytime. and that doesnt work in the real world, and it doesnt work in the nfl. hes is a friend, not a leader. he is not HC material right now. that is the point im trying to make. i could care less if he yells at people or doesnt. but he doesnt hold people to there mistakes, he lets everything slide.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

I don't think he changes his ways but perhaps he can learn from his mistakes. He could do with better personal evaluation people though. I also wonder how much he trusts McD to run this offense.

ill let it be known, my personal preference. id love to have an "in your face" type of coach rather then a laid back passive coach.

A lot of these players are getting paid millions of dollars a year, the lowest are making hundreds of thousands a year, more then about 99% of the people at this forum. if i was a boss and had an employee that was making 5 million dollars a year, 5x what i was making, and was sucking horribly at his job, id can him, and at the very least let him know he needs to get his act together.

now if i was an employee making 5 million a year and not producing results, id expect my boss to be pretty pissed at me. id expect the"shape up or your gone" talk.

but its ok for spags to not be like this? its fine that hes a cuddle kind of guy with his players who make millions failing at there job? how so?

if im making millions of dollars a year and failling at my job, id expect to be yelled at or fired or at least threatened. i would expect a pat on the back saying ill get them next time. thats the real world and we all know it.

Spags is lost and needs to go.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

fearsome foursome is offline Registered User

Tampa- I understand where you are coming from but canning people only works if there is someone behind them ready to step in and do better. We have used up all of our depth at QB (if Bradford doesn't play),CB and offensive line. We need some depth before we can start dumping players.
    C-Mob 71 likes this.

THOLTFAN81 is online now Registered User

Considering he took the advice of his Kicker, over the people upstairs and challenged what was clearly not touched by the other team...No he won't. Just doesn't have what it takes to be a good HC, at least not at this present time... And not that thats a bad thing. Some of the greatest minds in football just can't cut it at HC. SEE: Dick Lebeau a defensive legend, but not a head coach.

svh01 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Isn't this about 70% of the HC job? Especially the decision making. I also have to disagree about the decent offense last year. It was just better compared to this year. Spags is a good DC and will be an asset to the team he joins. I think either Philly or Tampa could use him, but I hope he goes to the AFC! Better yet go to a college so he doesn't come back and haunt us.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Do you really think Spags will change his ways?-1091723-terrell_owens_crying_large.jpg

If you talk about his vacation it's unfair, it's unfair. He's our leader he's our coach and if you talk about us losing we lost as a team, sniff sniff... we lost as a team...
    Tampa_Ram and Rambunctious like this.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast