HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Do you think Martz enjoys it?

Whenever he throws the media a bone, they run with it and then everyone in Ram Nation goes crazy. I mean think about all the little tidbits he's thrown out there for the message board world to feed on:

1. Pisa is a SS
    2. Arch is a FS
    3. Barron is our starting RT
    4. Barron is 2nd string RT
    5. Barron is 2nd string LT
    6. We're going to change our D front
    7. Jackson is the starter
    8. Martin will be our backup
    9. D-Lew is a DE
    10. We're going to use more 2 TE sets
    11. Chris Claiborne will shore up our run D
    12. Tucker will be fine as our RT
    13. Williams will be fine as our RT
    14. Saipaia will be fine as our RT
    15. Arch is the SS again
    16. Pisa is a LB again

...the list goes on and on. Martz doesn't have to tell the media anything. He could no comment his way through all of it, but he doesn't. And many question as to why. Does it mean that Martz can't make up his mind? Does it mean that Martz is some kind of evil genius? Does it mean that Martz is crazy? Does it mean that Martz has no business being a head coach? Does it mean that Martz is the greatest head coach in the world? I'd be willing to bet the farm that for every question brought up about Martz and his statements to the media, there is someone who would be willing to answer with a resounding "YES"!

But can we really believe that he is going to give the media (ie. the public) any valuable information as to how he plans to approach the season? If we had a choice, would we even want Martz to give the media that kind of information? Let's put ourselves in his situation for a moment. We're the HC and the media approaches us with concern over something (a certain player, a certain coach, a certain scheme, a certain unit, etc.). What would we do? We wouldn't give him a straight story. Let the opposing coaches do their own work. If we were Army Generals we wouldn't broadcast our battle plans to enemy troops, would we? Well, if we were CNN we would, but other than that we wouldn't. We'd do exactly what he always does....tell the media something to cling on that may or may not have the slimmest morsel of truth associated with it, and put everything else in terms of generalities.

But we don't have to listen to what Martz says, we can see what they do on the field. We see the way they line up, we see what schemes they run. Oh really, do we really? I think Shades put it best (as he usually does) when he said...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadesofgrey
    It's like a cave man trying to analyze the nuances of modern foriegn exchange markets
    I hate to burst a few ego bubbles, but unless there are NFL coaches on this board right now, none of us know an inkling about what the Rams do, are doing, have done, will do, or need to do with any aspect of their game.

And Martz knows how little the media really knows about Ram football. For all of Martz' extreme personality traits, one of his most prolific would have to be his ego. Do you think his ego can take all those shots from the know-nothings from the media that double guess him everyday? He looks down on them and plays with them through his comments. He's not going to give them anything remotely resembling actually murmurings in the coach's office or locker room. But the media has to give us something, so they relay it to us, and we bathe in it like pigs in a wallow.

Personally, I think Martz enjoys it. He has one of the most stressful jobs in professional sports and playing with the media (and us indirectly) may be one of his greatest reliefs.

Just imagine how hard he must laugh when (insert media glower of your choice here) or one of the other guys who knows so little about his team talks like they know so much. I'd think he'd get quite a kick out of it.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Do you think Martz enjoys it?

I wish Martz would say, "oh go ask the guys at ClanRam what I should do. They know more than me."

I really really do.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

I know that Martz likes to mess with the Media, and I'd really like to believe that all of these things he says roll up under that catagory, but at some point over the last 5 years or whatever, I've come to realize that Martz says what's on his mind and it changes on a daily basis.

Otherwise Arch wouldn't have actually been in there at FS.

This isn't the military. Nobody gives a S#!^ if Blaine Saipaia is the Rams starter at RT or if it's Rex Tucker. Believe me, the Seahawks don't go "hey did you hear, the Rams are thinking about moving Tinoisamoa to Safety, let's scheme against that." And as for the media, there is nothing tactical to accomplish to tell them that "we see it more like having 2 free safeties". Like ANY team in the NFL is concerned about the RAMS DEFENSE????

It's nonsense. Sure you don't want the opposing team to see some of your new plays that you will need to break out sometime during the year, but C'mon.

Basically, one of two things is happening. a) Martz is a little bit flaky, says more than he should, and tries to give the perception that he's got things under control, when often he doesn't, or b) Martz is a super genius battle field general who tactically tells opponents that "Srgt. Jones" is going to handle the west front, when in reallity he knows that it will be Srgt smith and that'll trick em. Instead of spending his time trying to "play with the media", Martz needs to get back to work fixing the defense with Marmie.

I like Martz, but I think he is a very insecure guy who was exposed for this years ago.

...and true, I really don't know cuz I'm not involved, but this is my take from reading all he's said the last 5 years or so, his personnel decisions, and his play calling on the field.

See, this is what I'm talking about. I bet Martz would love this kind of stuff.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    For all of Martz' extreme personality traits, one of his most prolific would have to be his ego. Do you think his ego can take all those shots from the know-nothings from the media that double guess him everyday? He looks down on them and plays with them through his comments.
    Hubi, Hubi, Hubi. I think thou givest the man too much credit. If he could think and adjust on the fly, he wouldn't be exhausting his TOs by the middle of the 1st qtr. In fact, if truth be told, I suspect if the league allocated him some, he'd exhaust his timeouts before the 2nd question of a news conference trying to figure out a comment that works for him.

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    Hubi, Hubi, Hubi. I think thou givest the man too much credit. If he could think and adjust on the fly, he wouldn't be exhausting his TOs by the middle of the 1st qtr. In fact, if truth be told, I suspect if the league allocated him some, he'd exhaust his timeouts before the 2nd question of a news conference trying to figure out a comment that works for him.
    Name one time when early timeouts burned us.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Name one time when early timeouts burned us.
    Now don't get specious with me. The fact that the house hasn't burned down yet, doesn't mean one shouldn't be vigilant about where and when to light a candle.

"The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatsoever that it is not utterly absurd." - Bertrand Russell, 1929

txramsfan is offline Registered User

most of the time the Rams have to burn a timeout is due to playcalling, which is Martz's deal. They either get the play in too late or the QB can't understand what Martz is saying, or the runner forgets what the play is when he gets into the huddle.

It really hasn't hurt the Rams yet though.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Whenever he throws the media a bone, they run with it and then everyone in Ram Nation goes crazy. I mean think about all the little tidbits he's thrown out there for the message board world to feed on:

1. Pisa is a SS
    2. Arch is a FS
    3. Barron is our starting RT
    4. Barron is 2nd string RT
    5. Barron is 2nd string LT
    6. We're going to change our D front
    7. Jackson is the starter
    8. Martin will be our backup
    9. D-Lew is a DE
    10. We're going to use more 2 TE sets
    11. Chris Claiborne will shore up our run D
    12. Tucker will be fine as our RT
    13. Williams will be fine as our RT
    14. Saipaia will be fine as our RT
    15. Arch is the SS again
    16. Pisa is a LB again

...the list goes on and on.

INSTEAD OF THROWING OUT BONES, MAYBE THROW OUT THE BONE-HEADS!

17. LARRY MARMIE IS A DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR
    18. BILL KOLLAR WILL BE FINE AS OUR D-LINE COACH
    19. BOB LIGASHESKI WILL BE FINE AS OUR SPECIAL TEAMS COACH
    20. KURT SCHOTTENHEIMER IS A SECONDARY COACH
    21. JOE VITT WILL BE FINE AS OUR LINEBACKERS COACH
    22. MIKE MARTZ IS A HEAD COACH
    23. MIKE MARTZ WILL BE FINE AS OUR HEAD COACH

...THE LIST GOES ON AND ON.
    Last edited by dgr828; -08-24-2005 at 07:45 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]