View Poll Results: Do you want Fisher as the new head coach?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

61 69.32%
  • No

19 21.59%
  • Other

8 9.09%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Do you want Fisher as the new head coach?

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Re: Do you want Fisher as the new head coach?

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Do keep in mind that Belichick had accomplished less than Fisher when the Patriots gave him another chance as a head coach. He was 36-44 as a head coach with the Browns.
    I will keep that in mind, but 36-44 is a pretty good record for any Browns team post Bernie Kosar, Ozzie Newsome era.

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post

But for now, he can expect to hear it from me, when things don't go right.
    ... So, business as usual, then?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

One thing that Fisher would have over the past 3 HCs (Spags, Linny, Martz) is there will be no "teeth cutting" period for Fisher. He has already experienced that. The Oilers/Titans paid for that time. A big deal gets made of Fisher sporting a mere .542 winning percentage over his 17 years as a HC (crappy coaches don't get a full 17 years to prove their crappiness, by the way, but I digress). But if you look at his "teeth cutting" period in Houston and the FEMA trailers in Memphis, he was 32-38 during that time. Once he got his feet under him (and in a building that did not have wheels), he went on to post a 110-82 record with 6 playoffs in 12 seasons. That's a .573 win percentage, or roughly 9.2 wins per year. That puts him in company like Hank Stram, Don Coryell, Bill Parcells, & Chuck Noll.

I'm looking forward to not watching on-the-job training on the sideline.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

uh60james is offline Registered User

Of the choices available yes. My only concern is his tendency to shut down the offense once they get in the red zone. I can't tell if it is the offense or the prior coaching staff but the Rams already shut down in the red zone and things did not work out well for us.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by uh60james View Post
    Of the choices available yes. My only concern is his tendency to shut down the offense once they get in the red zone. I can't tell if it is the offense or the prior coaching staff but the Rams already shut down in the red zone and things did not work out well for us.
    Im more worried about the players shutting themselves down in the redzone than Fisher.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    One thing that Fisher would have over the past 3 HCs (Spags, Linny, Martz) is there will be no "teeth cutting" period for Fisher. He has already experienced that. The Oilers/Titans paid for that time. A big deal gets made of Fisher sporting a mere .542 winning percentage over his 17 years as a HC (crappy coaches don't get a full 17 years to prove their crappiness, by the way, but I digress). But if you look at his "teeth cutting" period in Houston and the FEMA trailers in Memphis, he was 32-38 during that time. Once he got his feet under him (and in a building that did not have wheels), he went on to post a 110-82 record with 6 playoffs in 12 seasons. That's a .573 win percentage, or roughly 9.2 wins per year. That puts him in company like Hank Stram, Don Coryell, Bill Parcells, & Chuck Noll.

Don't forget that during those last 12 seasons, he mostly was losing 1-2 games before the season even started to Manning as well.

And you're wrong... If you coach for the Bengals, you probably can get 17 years to prove your crappiness if you agree to a 17 year deal. Brown will be so loathe to keep paying you that he'll just keep you on to not pay two coaches.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.
    I believe!

BEER is offline Registered User

Were going to win the superbowl in three years, Its a fact.

And you're wrong... If you coach for the Bengals, you probably can get 17 years to prove your crappiness if you agree to a 17 year deal. Brown will be so loathe to keep paying you that he'll just keep you on to not pay two coaches.
    touche, sir.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Good points Hub. If you weigh up what Fisher had to deal with, I actually respect his record as a HC.? He never had a true star QB to pad his stats either.

MelloStang is offline Registered User

I say yes to Fisher he was coach of the Oilers when they moved to Tennessee now he can help move the Rams back to L.A.
    Rambos likes this.

cayal is offline Registered User

As a Titans fan I've had to endure Fisher for along time and yes he is a good coach...if it were the early 2000s.

The game passed by him a long time ago.

-He is stubborn and too loyal. He started guys like Reynaldo Hill (when Cortland Finnegan was his back up) and Lamont Thompson, Michael Booker, Nick Harper etc who couldn't get a job after they were (finally) cut. These guys started 16 games, never benched.
    -He kept Donnie Nickey on the team for 8 years, all he does is play Special Teams.
    -He sat Keith Bulluck for 2 years. He babied Pacman Jones.
    -He's the guy who cut Legarette Blount so he could keep a ST linebacker on the team.
    -He resigned Chuck Cecil (the DC) who might have been the worst DC in the history of the NFL just before he left the Titans.
    -He will run Steven Jackson into the ground like he ran Eddie George (who he kept playing far too long) and Chris Johnson.
    -He decided that after successfully using the "Smash and Dash" with LenDale White and Chris Johnson (in a season where they had 200 and 251 carries respectively) he would run LenDale White 64 times and Chris Johnson 368 times). And this was for no apparent reason. He wouldn't use LenDale White as a goalline back either.
    -He has twice had an 0-6 start with Kerry Collins as the QB and had to be saved by Vince Young both times when he finally put him in (forced the second time by Bud Adams).
    -Hasn't won a playoff games in 6 years and only won 5 in his career, three of which came the year we played you guys in the Superbowl.
    -He's the guy who wore a Peyton Manning jersey to 'Feel like a winner'.
    -Signed Randy Moss but wouldn't play him because he couldn't play Kenny Britt and Moss together because they play the same position.
    -Resigned LeRoy Harris who was a pretty good centre and Eugene Amano who was a pretty good gaurd and decided to swap their positions for no real reason and now they are both horrible.

This is what you will get with Fisher:

-Run happy, conservative offense.
    -Players who are average but consistent will start/play over guys who are better but can have a lapse in judgement from time to time (especially rookies).
    -Fails to make in-game adjustments
    -Loves a FG.

You'll improve as a team, you won't win anything though.
    Last edited by cayal; -01-09-2012 at 08:38 PM.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Agree 100% Hope Miami gets him. The only thing he has going for him IMO, is we won't get saddled with a bunch of no name unproven Assistant Coaches (maybe).
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Sounds just like Spags...

"-Run happy, conservative offense.
    -Players who are average but consistent will start/play over guys who are better but can have a lapse in judgement from time to time (especially rookies).
    -Fails to make in-game adjustments
    -Loves a FG."

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i don't think anyone would deny that Fisher has made errors. but that he would have learned from them and if he becomes our HC we will have a better HC on our hands because of them. if he was Lombardi,Landry etc.. he wouldn't have been available to us.
    but i`m sure there`s plenty of folks in Cleveland and Philly who said that Belichick and Vermeil would never win a SB after they signed elsewhere.

First off, Cayal, welcome.
    You'll improve as a team, you won't win anything though.
    We're winning nothing now, so just the team improvement you mentioned in this rather pessimistic outlook is still a rosy future for this particular franchise.

Fisher's had 5 losing seasons in his career. We've had 5 losing seasons in.......well, the last 5 seasons.
    As a Titans fan I've had to endure Fisher for along time and yes he is a good coach...if it were the early 2000s.
    The Titans were 23-9 in '07 & '08.....not exactly ancient history.

The Rams need a Head Coach right now. And right now, Fisher is the best head coach candidate available.
    Rambos and TekeRam like this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast