MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Dockery stops Seattle on fake field goal ..

BY JIM THOMAS • Monday, October 4, 2010 12:40 am

Like everyone in the crowd of 52,326 at the Edward Jones Dome, Kevin Dockery was looking for an Olindo Mare field goal with just over a minute to play in the first half Sunday.

"I would expect them to attempt a long field goal," said Dockery, a backup Rams cornerback.

And why wouldn't he? Mare has made 25 field goals in a row, a franchise record for the Seattle Seahawks.

So Dockery was surprised when holder Jon Ryan picked up the football and started running on a fake field goal. But not that surprised.

"I guess they were expecting us to come with the hard pressure, but I kind of stayed home," Dockery said. "I saw the holder trying to get to the outside, and just tried to go make the play."

Ryan once scored a 109-yard touchdown playing in the Canadian Football League. He didn't make it that far Sunday, getting dropped for a 9-yard loss by Dockery as he attempted to run for a first down to his left.

So instead of perhaps cutting the St. Louis lead to 7-6 with a 51-yard field goal, the Seahawks gave up the ball on downs. The Rams took over on their 42 with 61 seconds on the clock and closed the half with a Josh Brown field goal for a 10-3 lead.

It was a six-point swing in a game the Rams ended up winning 20-3. Unfortunately for Dockery, his head paid a price for his heads-up play.

"As (Ryan) was going down, my helmet came (off) and simultaneously his cleat got me on the top of the head," Dockery said. "I've got a little laceration up there."

More than a little — Dockery needed 13 stitches to close the wound. He also aggravated a hamstring injury that sidelined him in the season opener and couldn't finish the game.

"It'll be all right," Dockery said. "I just kind of tweaked it."

Special teams step up

The Rams kept Seattle's top-ranked return game bottled up. The Seahawks averaged a modest 23 yards per kickoff return, with Leon Washington returning three of Brown's four kickoffs for an average of 26.7 yards, or nearly 20 yards off his season average. Washington scored two touchdowns on kickoff returns last week against San Diego.

Meanwhile, punt returner Golden Tate averaged only 6 yards on three returns, or more than 19 yards below his season average. Punter Donnie Jones had a net average of 40.4 yards Sunday and dropped four of his seven punts inside the 20.

"Donnie did a pretty good job pinning them in the corners, and the coverage team, we rose up and played hard and covered well down the field," said long snapper Chris Massey. "Josh made some good kickoffs. That was the emphasis all week — how good their return game was."

Massey had two tackles on punt coverage, according to press box stats. Rookie Jerome Murphy was impressive as a gunner.

Sitting it out

OT Renardo Foster was the only healthy scratch for the Rams. Other pregame inactives were: TEs Billy Bajema (knee) and Michael Hoomanawanui (ankle); DTs Clifton Ryan (migraines) and Darell Scott (ankle); LB Chris Chamberlain (toe); WR Laurent Robinson (foot); and S Darian Stewart (hamstring).

Atogwe plays

After aggravating a thigh injury against Washington, safety Oshiomogho Atogwe didn't start Sunday but saw action in passing situations. After Wednesday's practice, Atogwe knew the thigh felt good enough to attempt playing. "How much, I didn't know," said the Rams' defensive captain. "But I knew I was going to be able to play."

Injury update

Dockery's head and hamstring issues were the only injuries reported by the Rams. For Seattle, left tackle Russell Okung made his first NFL start after missing the first three games of the season with a high ankle sprain. But the sixth overall pick in the 2010 draft left in the second quarter after experiencing soreness in the ankle.

Ram-blings

The Rams have led or been tied at the half in all four games this season. … The Rams haven't held an opponent to fewer than three points in a game since a 20-0 victory at Oakland on Dec. 17, 2006. ... Former Rams WR Dane Looker, now coaching high school football in the Seattle area, attended Sunday's game.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Dockery stops Seattle on fake field goal ..

That was a great defensive play, a quick reaction and effort by Dockery against the fake.